Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 03:49 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
I know 2 people in the area that have DirecTV that they share with others. 1 of them shares with a friend in the neighborhood and the other shares with a family member in New York. For that person, DirecTV somehow knows that the receiver is registered to a New York address so they do not get any of the local independent channels, they are blacked out. They do though get all local network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX) so they get to watch most of those shows 2-3 hours early. And there is no problem with all of the other channels.
What I had heard is that DirecTV would deactivate any receiver that wasn't continuously connected to a phone line or internet connection, and that the receivers periodically would phone home, and DTV would look at the phone number or IP address of the receivers on an account and make sure they were either all calling from the same phone number, or same IP address. Apparently that is not correct or is no longer correct, or your neighbors have a way to circumvent that check (caller ID spoof for example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 04:06 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
What I had heard is that DirecTV would deactivate any receiver that wasn't continuously connected to a phone line or internet connection, and that the receivers periodically would phone home, and DTV would look at the phone number or IP address of the receivers on an account and make sure they were either all calling from the same phone number, or same IP address. Apparently that is not correct or is no longer correct, or your neighbors have a way to circumvent that check (caller ID spoof for example).
I have 3 HD TIVO receivers from DirecTV in my home. They are in no way connected to each other or the internet or a phone line, nor have they ever been.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:30 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times
If you have a relatively modern tv, ie with a digital tuner, you can watch all the basic channels without a box. You can even get some of the non basic channels.

Personally, I don't have cable nor do I want it. I have all the tools and know how to go outside and hook up my own cable, as I was a cable installer. I haven't done it. I'm not going to.

I am not saying to learn how to torrent tv shows, but you can torrent tv shows.

I may or may not torrent 3 or 4 tv shows. To be honest, there's only 3-4 shows worth the time it takes to watch.

The news? I'd rather not. Prime time crap? No thanks. Day time talk shows? I'd rather a pine cone enema.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:45 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
I know how to use torrents. I also have co-workers who have received cease and desist orders from HBO. (I'm sure we can all figure out what show they were downloading.)

Websites like You Have Downloaded by Suren Ter Saakov - We show what you downloaded aren't even cutting edge anymore. I'll just pay for the shows that I watch. I have a feeling it's going to be much less expensive in the long run.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:51 PM
EA

I think once these couple shows end, I'll be no longer watching anything.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:22 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,494 times
so how much are people paying just for internet?

Old 01-13-2015, 06:27 PM

399 posts, read 693,500 times
Die Cable! Die!

Old 01-13-2015, 06:28 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
What is this "internet" thing you speak of?

Old 01-13-2015, 07:34 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
I wish I knew. I'm at the bizarro-world junction where if I cut anything, my bill actually increases.

I've got that Centurylink bundle thing and don't like it. But if I switch to anything else or cut anything, my bill increases. If I switch it goes up bigtime. If I cut, I get nickeled and dimed.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:27 PM
EA

For decent service about 70 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: