U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:55 AM

17 posts, read 33,356 times
Default best school in Henderson

from experience, can someone name the good elementary schools of Henderson so I can narrow my comparison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 AM

818 posts, read 2,600,606 times
From experience is probably not a good way to find a good school, since there's very little to compare them to one another. Most parents and students only have experience with one or two elementaries. Test scores aren't a great method either, but it's probably the best available method. CCSD tracks much of this information, as well as crime info, transiency rate ect. on their website. I know oldcapt. also keeps tabs on his site.

Check out the CCSD accountability reports. (http://ccsd.net/schools/accReports.phtml - broken link)

Old 01-09-2008, 11:46 AM

17 posts, read 33,356 times
thanks!! i was just there prior to posting and there so so many schools i didnt know where to begin with the schools. it is set up by county and not city. I was trying to understand what it all meant its all new to me. but of course ill figure it out after playing with the site more and breaking it down more

Old 01-09-2008, 01:19 PM

278 posts, read 744,788 times
Look for a school with high PTA and parent volunteer involvement. Go to GreatSchools.net and look up schools in Henderson. There a lot of nice schools down there. Just make sure to check the accountability reports on the CCSD website. Check score, violence, drugs and transciency rate. Do you want 9 month schools or do you want year round schools? Once you narrow it down a bit, check out the individual school websites. Do you want a strict dresscode (no jeans or t-shirts)? Do you want a school that teaches half of the day in Spanish? When I did my research, I found Vanderberg/Twitchell , Bartlett and Cox to be good schools. I have heard of a lot of overcrowding at these schools though. Last year the CCSD tried to make them year round schools, but the parents threw a fit and the decision was reversed. With budget cuts coming I'm sure they will try again. I think I heard that they are going to redistrict a lot of the schools soon. If you like a school a lot, try to live as near by as you can because it reduces your risk of being sent to a different school.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:29 AM

120 posts, read 282,422 times
We just moved here a couple months ago and did alot of research and found Vanderberg, Twitchell, Bartlett and Miller to be the best schools based on scores. Our daughter is attending Bartlett and I couldnt be more satisfied with what I see everyday when I take her to school. Demanding curriculum though! My daughter constantly has anywhere from 2-5 assignments per night and now Im trying to help her decide on a science project..Again, couldnt be anymore pleased.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:19 PM

107 posts, read 288,842 times
Default Frank Lamping

We just recently moved out of vegas, but my son had an amazing start at this school. It is in a more affluent part of henderson so therefore, tons of PTA support. He had amazing teachers and the science program is the best around. Good luck!:

Old 01-14-2008, 05:09 PM

278 posts, read 744,788 times
Las Vegas Now - Breaking News, Local News, Weather, Traffic, Streaming Video, Classifieds, Blogs - Parents To Voice Opinions on Proposed School Zoning Changes

This year the battle is on for redistricting!!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 PM

11 posts, read 22,834 times
Default IMHO - good elementary schools in Henderson

I'd agree with Vanderberg/Twitchell, Bartlett, Cox and Lamping for elementary schools. They've been around a while and have their school cultures established. The good teachers gravitate towards the schools like that, as well as the ones in the more affluent neighborhoods. All of the afore-mentioned schools have great parental involvement.

We wanted Bartlett when we first looked to buy in 2000, but could never make an offer soon enough. Everyone with grade school aged kids had the same idea. So we gave up and aimed for Vanderberg when we moved here in 2000 but got Twitchell when they opened.

For middle schools, I'd recommend Greenspun and Bob Miller.

We also were buying our home for the long term goal of being zoned for Green Valley High School which had an excellent reputation when we moved here, but were rezoned. Green Valley now has reputation for high drug-usage.

The rezoning for school zones is always a big issue here because the city grows exponentially. A couple of years ago, they were building one new school a month in Clark County. I don't know how much that has changed lately, as my child is now in high school and I don't keep track as much. Unless you buy a home directly adjacent to a school (and even then you feel threatened), you can't be guaranteed that your child will be zoned for the same school from year to year. Children (and parents) lose track of friends due to this. This applies to elementary, middle and high schools. It almost makes it worthwhile to send your child to a private school if you can afford it, to keep their education on an even keel.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 5,997 times
I will be moving to Las Vegas with my family, could somebody suggest which primary schools they could attend and what are the school fees like in lass Vegas. We will be moving in from South Africa, Johannesburg and I have no clue as how the education system there works?

Old 06-20-2009, 11:02 AM

15,757 posts, read 20,324,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfakude View Post
I will be moving to Las Vegas with my family, could somebody suggest which primary schools they could attend and what are the school fees like in lass Vegas. We will be moving in from South Africa, Johannesburg and I have no clue as how the education system there works?
Mostly a public school system without significant fees. There are private schools available...fees ranging from $4000 to $12,000 per annum. The best of these schools are the most expensive.

You can see a ranking of the schools based on certain government performance tests at...

Schools of Las Vegas Rankings

Note that the name column links to the actual accoutability report so you can read the school data directly if you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas