Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 02:12 AM

455 posts, read 645,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
I hear people complain about Vegas drivers, but I've seen just as bad in L.A. if not worse.

Just be glad you don't live in South Carolina. This was just posted today. It's a string of events recorded by 1 guy with his dash cam over just 3 years:

[url=http://jalopnik.com/this-supercut-of-south-carolinas-stupidest-angriest-dr-1691347980?utm_source=recirculation&utm_medium=rec irculation&utm_campaign=fridayPM]This Supercut Of South Carolina's Stupidest, Angriest Drivers Is Amazing[/url]
I've lived in South Carolina and, believe me, Vegas is in a totally different category of stupid drivers (and not to the good side).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 02:35 AM

6,360 posts, read 11,808,691 times
Can't believe so many of you willingly go get an attorney. Must enjoy giving away 33% of money most insurance companies will pay anyways. Attorneys have their place, but it's certainly not before you put in a claim and most definitely not when you don't have injuries.

People are free to do as they choose but wow that's poor advice.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:42 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,930,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Can't believe so many of you willingly go get an attorney. Must enjoy giving away 33% of money most insurance companies will pay anyways. Attorneys have their place, but it's certainly not before you put in a claim and most definitely not when you don't have injuries.

I have been through the "hit by a drunk driver" wringer. She was incarcerated because it was the umpteenth time she drove drunk and ruined someone's day. Her insurance company didn't pay me squat. I didn't get what I owed on my car. I didn't get the replacement value of my car. I was young, naive, and got screwed. I SHOULD have hired an attorney. I didn't hire one because I wasn't injured. I should have anyway.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:32 AM

775 posts, read 771,643 times
We have prepaid legal so we can get help on this or any other legal problem without worrying about the cost to make a phone call.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:30 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,035,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post

And relying on the insurance company to compensate you is good advice? Sir, your rationale only applies to the simplest of claims, which are common, but rarely involve injury. An insurance company will add up your damages that they determine were related to the fault of their customer. When you receive the check, you are done. 2 months later when your back pain from compressed vertebrae and nerve damage makes it impossible to function without PT or surgery, are you going to call up that insurance and say you need some money for PT?

Insurance is a big profit machine that has a simple model: collect from more customers, pay as few claims as possible, and pay the smallest amount. What kind of business model charges you a comprehensive and collision premium that never goes down? You insure your 2015 Kia, in two years,it is worth 50% less, but the comp part of your premium has not changed, yet your pay out on a total loss will be the Current VALUE of the car, less your deductible.

Of course the lawyer is going to collect. You can go find an attorney that will accept a retainer and bill you by the hour, or you can hire a "no fee unless you win" lawyer, or you can trust some claim adjuster who has 100% loyalty to the company that represents the person that hurt you. Usually, a lawyer offers free initial consultation--why not take a free consultation? Is that poor advice?

Old 03-15-2015, 11:26 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,751,799 times
I'm assuming you know that auto insurance and GAP insurance are 2 different things. I keep reading comments about insurance companies giving you replacement value. That is GAP insurance, and an optional purchase if you're financing. The insurance company will give you what that car is worth, it doesn't matter what you owe. That is why you purchase GAP insurance.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:03 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,079,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I'm assuming you know that auto insurance and GAP insurance are 2 different things. I keep reading comments about insurance companies giving you replacement value. That is GAP insurance, and an optional purchase if you're financing. The insurance company will give you what that car is worth, it doesn't matter what you owe. That is why you purchase GAP insurance.

It is absolutely ridiculous that there's a difference. Insurance is one of the biggest scams ever invented.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:36 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,930,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
It is absolutely ridiculous that there's a difference. Insurance is one of the biggest scams ever invented.
Only for the low-end companies that spend all that money on lizard ads.

The insurance company we use has paid us more than we've paid them. And they didn't drop us because our claims were reasonable, "Yeah, that's a claim" sort of claims. You and I seem to have similar luck when it comes to being responsible people and having irresponsible people ruin our day.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:20 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,881,006 times
Assuming its a 2003 xterra xe 2wd with 130k as an example... they are going to give you whats its worth. Manheim values it between 3-4000. So lets assume the higher 4000. If you owe 6000. The lienholder gets the 4k (not you), and you owe the lien holder 2000. Even though you wont own anything. That has to be paid to the company or dealer (bh/ph). If you have gap insurance, which I doubt on that old of a vehicle), it would pay off the truck. Whatever you put down is irrelevant.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:28 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,079,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Assuming its a 2003 xterra xe 2wd with 130k as an example... they are going to give you whats its worth. Manheim values it between 3-4000. So lets assume the higher 4000. If you owe 6000. The lienholder gets the 4k (not you), and you owe the lien holder 2000. Even though you wont own anything. That has to be paid to the company or dealer (bh/ph). If you have gap insurance, which I doubt on that old of a vehicle), it would pay off the truck. Whatever you put down is irrelevant.

Which is complete and total BS. THEIR customer hit MY car. They should pay 100% of it. I paid 1500 dollars to drive a car for 2 weeks. I could have rented a high end sports car for that. I owe 8,000 on it. At the very least, they insurance should pay 8,000. But really, I should be getting 1500 on top of that with which to get another vehicle.
This type of f&*kery is just one of the many many reasons I hate this country, humans, and existence.
I worked my butt off to get myself set up with a decent car and a place to live, and some moron's bad driving took away my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: