Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:24 PM

29 posts, read 35,421 times

Advertisements

I am going to be relocating to Las Vegas this summer and am trying to get my ducks as orderly as possible. The pinned thread up top is nice, but seems like some of it is out-dated, so I want to make sure I have the correct information.

I'm a single Mom with 2 kids, make about $42k a year (give or take). I only have friends in Vegas, no family, no real support system. I am terrified of moving out there and falling flat on my face. I am looking at apartments/townhouses/homes in the Escobedo school district (my oldest daughter is already enrolled there) and like what I've read about Darnell and Thompson Elementary schools for my youngest.

Basically I'm trying to get a feel for what my expenses are going to be compared to my current location. I work from home, so knowing what utilities are going to realistically run me would be nice. I've got more questions but that's the beginning of my queries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 11:15 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
im assuming a normal 2000sf home..

electric about 150 a month.. except May-October.... July, August 350+ with no pool
gas about 50 a month
car insurance is higher overall
car registration is much higher (depends what you drive... a fiat (like mine) 320 a year.... a bmw.... over 1000. a year (assume 1yr old)
internet 80 a month
tv cable/directv 75 a month
assume renting: you have renters insurance
depending on lease.. water, garbage, etc..

honestly 42k with 2 kids can make it, but you will definitely have to budget carefully..

i don't have kids... so i can't really answer the school thing.. but i certainly wouldn't put the kids in the schools here unless it is a private school... we rank last in the country..

i have friends that left Vegas for North Carolina, they were happier in North Carolina

Old 04-18-2015, 07:04 AM

The places I am looking at are closer to 1200 sq ft than 2000...I've never lived in a place that big, just means more to clean I only need phone and internet for my job (in a pinch I can use my cell) so no cable TV or satellite. I'm fine with Netflix, we don't watch a lot of TV. I found out about car registration this week; that definitely made me do a double-take. I have a Honda Fit currently so that probably wouldn't be bad, but I was thinking of buying a truck and I don't want to have to register it twice. Schools can't be much worse than NC; teachers are the lowest paid in the country here. My oldest is already out there and loves Escobedo. I've absolutely hated my youngest's elementary school here.

I think the first year is going to be the toughest, which is why I am mostly looking at apartments and townhouses over single family homes. Little cheaper with some of the amenities I'm interested in. My biggest thing is I'd like to have at least a one car garage, and I've found several in my budget in that area that look nice (need updating but in a rental I don't expect granite and marble).

Thank you for the input

Old 04-18-2015, 07:23 AM

Forgot to ask, and I'm sure I can look it up, but does Nevada have emission inspections for vehicles?

Old 04-18-2015, 08:06 AM

661 posts, read 631,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysi View Post
Forgot to ask, and I'm sure I can look it up, but does Nevada have emission inspections for vehicles?
Yes, they waive the first 2 if new.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:24 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times
For 1200 sq ft with around $33K take home after taxes you're average monthly budget could look like this.

Rent: Around $1000 for 1200 square feet. I have seen homes with single car garages and more square footage for less but then you're paying a higher electricity bill.

Cell Phones: $12 pay as you go with page plus cellular online lowest monthly option, 250 minutes and 250 texts for emergencies in a pinch.

Internet: $45 , We use Century Link for what we need and switch between companies every six months for the deals. With up to 10Mbps we can run a desktop, two laptops, and four mobile devices and stream video on two devices at once in High Definition. After switching between companies for awhile one of the companies will lock you in at the lower rate for a year or two if you agree not to switch anymore. They'll try to rent or sell you the $100 modem. Just get a compatible one off the internet for less.

Phone: We also use a google voice number (VOIP) as our home phone setup like regular phone with no additional cost. We have the OBi100 adapter that plugs into the modem and the phone plugs into the adapter so we can use our handheld cordless phone around the house. Google voice has said in the past that they were going to start a paid service for it and stop compatibility with Obi, but they've said that before twice over the past five years and it hasn't gone through any of the times so we just keep using it until they do it, if ever.

Electricity: $81 average, as low as $50 for nine months out of the year and as high as $150 for three months during the summer.

Natural Gas: $50 average, if you have to use it for the water heater

Petrol: $80, YMMV depending on your commute

Groceries: $200, YMMV depending where you shop and if you eat mostly at home

Auto Insurance: $33, YMMV ours is an economy car older than 10 years covering liability insurance for two people. Our full coverage would have been $90 a month. If you have a newer Honda Fit and you're still making payments then your insurance may be higher as well as your registration. We just got our insurance lowered by shopping around and getting better offers to bargain with.

The car registration was low too and a portion is reimbursed when you file taxes if you're eligible. We did have to get an emissions check which they required. Make sure to save any documentation of your moving costs for deductions on taxes.

You'll also have to get a DL.

Water/Sewer/Trash is mostly covered by apartments. Some places have fees depending on where you live. Some places include internet but you don't want to rely on that if you need it for work. Some places offer cable too. We don't watch cable either and use our computers for things like hulu, youtube, redbox and hook an HDMI cord up to the flat screen from the computer for movies. Most places require you to get renters insurance but that will be low and some include it in the rent.

No idea if you use credit cards or have student loan payments but you can factor that in on your own.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 04-18-2015 at 08:50 AM..

Old 04-18-2015, 10:16 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysi View Post
Yes, every year but you don't get the window sticker that N.C. uses. That was always a pain when I lived in that state.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
For 1200 sq ft with around $33K take home after taxes you're average monthly budget could look like this.

Rent: Around $1000 for 1200 square feet. I have seen homes with single car garages and more square footage for less but then you're paying a higher electricity bill.

Cell Phones: $12 pay as you go with page plus cellular online lowest monthly option, 250 minutes and 250 texts for emergencies in a pinch.

Internet: $45 , We use Century Link for what we need and switch between companies every six months for the deals. With up to 10Mbps we can run a desktop, two laptops, and four mobile devices and stream video on two devices at once in High Definition. After switching between companies for awhile one of the companies will lock you in at the lower rate for a year or two if you agree not to switch anymore. They'll try to rent or sell you the $100 modem. Just get a compatible one off the internet for less.

Phone: We also use a google voice number (VOIP) as our home phone setup like regular phone with no additional cost. We have the OBi100 adapter that plugs into the modem and the phone plugs into the adapter so we can use our handheld cordless phone around the house. Google voice has said in the past that they were going to start a paid service for it and stop compatibility with Obi, but they've said that before twice over the past five years and it hasn't gone through any of the times so we just keep using it until they do it, if ever.

Electricity: $81 average, as low as $50 for nine months out of the year and as high as $150 for three months during the summer.

Natural Gas: $50 average, if you have to use it for the water heater

Petrol: $80, YMMV depending on your commute

Groceries: $200, YMMV depending where you shop and if you eat mostly at home

Auto Insurance: $33, YMMV ours is an economy car older than 10 years covering liability insurance for two people. Our full coverage would have been $90 a month. If you have a newer Honda Fit and you're still making payments then your insurance may be higher as well as your registration. We just got our insurance lowered by shopping around and getting better offers to bargain with.

The car registration was low too and a portion is reimbursed when you file taxes if you're eligible. We did have to get an emissions check which they required. Make sure to save any documentation of your moving costs for deductions on taxes.

You'll also have to get a DL.

Water/Sewer/Trash is mostly covered by apartments. Some places have fees depending on where you live. Some places include internet but you don't want to rely on that if you need it for work. Some places offer cable too. We don't watch cable either and use our computers for things like hulu, youtube, redbox and hook an HDMI cord up to the flat screen from the computer for movies. Most places require you to get renters insurance but that will be low and some include it in the rent.

No idea if you use credit cards or have student loan payments but you can factor that in on your own.

I agree with most of the above except:

Internet... Using it for job... Centurylink is terrible and 10mbs is a joke... You will need cox
Phone: with good internet, you can get ooma. The machine is about 100. But phone is free except for taxes. I use it... It's very good
Cell: you need a good service... Minimum walmarts plan at 35. I believe they are on AT&T
Car insurance..you will be higher..you have a more valuable car... Figure 100 a month minimum.. Get full coverage.
Car registration... Your car is newer, figure 240-350 depending how much newer..

Old 04-18-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Yes, every year but you don't get the window sticker that N.C. uses. That was always a pain when I lived in that state.
NC no longer uses window stickers.

In the area I'm looking at, I've found townhouses in my budget with one car attached/detached garages for less than a grand. Hopefully they're still plentiful when I'm ready to put down a deposit. I definitely need fast internet; I'm paying $45 now for 30 and phone service. I just dropped TV and am streaming pretty much everything now. Only one television, my girls have tablets and I have a laptop. We live simply at my house because Mom isn't technology savvy I have service with Verizon and am pretty much trapped with them for 2 years because I'm an idiot.

I used the registration calculator (an estimate only, I know) and registering my Fit is @ $120, not nearly as bad as I anticipated. Definitely going to rethink the newer truck purchase for the moment though.

Car insurance I already have full coverage on 1 vehicle, liability only on 2 others, so I'm just going to leave it where it currently is for budgeting purposes. I actually work in the insurance industry so I already knew it was higher out there.

Cool, thanks everyone!

Old 04-18-2015, 05:04 PM

You cant leave the car insurance the way it is. By law it must be written on nevada paper.

how old is the honda fit....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: