Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:25 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I don't care what they put in it so long as it doesn't taste like bull semen, sweaty gym socks, and bleach like it currently does.
How do you know what bull semen tastes like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 07:26 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Do you realize that fish and ducks and frogs pee in the water? That when you swim on a reef all those little white things floating in the water are fish poop?

Are you not concerned that some ingredient of fish poop will slip through the filters and render you sterile?

How about a reaction between some particle and a natursal ingredient that gives you a nasty cancer...can't trust those space particles.
Well, here's that magical point in a discussion where what's being discussed starts being compared to absurdities.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Well, here's that magical point in a discussion where what's being discussed starts being compared to absurdities.
Nope. Just adding a couple of new ones to the one already presented.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:18 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I find it hilarious that this thread has zeroed in our fluoridation, which is pretty much a constant anywhere in the US, instead of anything Vegas specific.
I've already made it clear how I feel about ingesting radium and uranium. I've also made it clear that I disagree with the government about what constitutes safe levels of heavy metals in tap water.

Therefore, rather than whinge on about it, I enjoy my RO water and let people who are OK consuming beta particles and heavy metals be OK with that, too.

In general, I think the fluoridation-conspiracy nuts are just that -- nuts. But it's a fact that fluoride is toxic. We all know this. Water fluoridation happened back before fluoride mouth rinses, quarterly teeth cleanings, and our current understanding about the toxicity of the mineral.

Almost a quarter of the population has mild dental fluorosis (streaking of teeth due to excess fluoride). The CDC just recommended scaling back fluoride in the water supply. (See the links above from the CDC about fluorosis and decreasing the PPM.) And we could eliminate fluoridation entirely if people would simply practice good dental hygiene.

It's like second-hand smoke in that regard -- why should I have to consume a toxin just because some family of goblins can't be bothered to brush?

Old 04-28-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I've already made it clear how I feel about ingesting radium and uranium. I've also made it clear that I disagree with the government about what constitutes safe levels of heavy metals in tap water.

Therefore, rather than whinge on about it, I enjoy my RO water and let people who are OK consuming beta particles and heavy metals be OK with that, too.

In general, I think the fluoridation-conspiracy nuts are just that -- nuts. But it's a fact that fluoride is toxic. We all know this. Water fluoridation happened back before fluoride mouth rinses, quarterly teeth cleanings, and our current understanding about the toxicity of the mineral.

Almost a quarter of the population has mild dental fluorosis (streaking of teeth due to excess fluoride). The CDC just recommended scaling back fluoride in the water supply. (See the links above from the CDC about fluorosis and decreasing the PPM.) And we could eliminate fluoridation entirely if people would simply practice good dental hygiene.

It's like second-hand smoke in that regard -- why should I have to consume a toxin just because some family of goblins can't be bothered to brush?
Source. You assert this but is there any reasonable source that regular brushing and flossing eliminates the need for fluoride? Is there reason to believe almost universal good dental hygiene could be achieved?

They simple adjusted the dosage in cold weather cities. Warm weather cities were not changed.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:43 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Obstinate as always. 1950 called. It misses you.

"Within the last 15 years, research has revealed that fluoride primarily works topically, such as when it applied to the teeth in fluoride-rich toothpaste. People opposed to fluoridation have argued out that since this is true, it needn't be added to water. Today people are exposed to many more sources of fluoride than when it was first introduced in the 1940s — the first fluoridated toothpaste, Crest, wasn't introduced until 1955."

Facts About Fluoride and Water Fluoridation

Old 04-28-2015, 10:44 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I don't care what they put in it so long as it doesn't taste like bull semen, sweaty gym socks, and bleach like it currently does.
You have a strange diet.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Obstinate as always. 1950 called. It misses you.

"Within the last 15 years, research has revealed that fluoride primarily works topically, such as when it applied to the teeth in fluoride-rich toothpaste. People opposed to fluoridation have argued out that since this is true, it needn't be added to water. Today people are exposed to many more sources of fluoride than when it was first introduced in the 1940s — the first fluoridated toothpaste, Crest, wasn't introduced until 1955."

Facts About Fluoride and Water Fluoridation
And you continue to raise obfuscation to high art.

The article cited in no way suggests that water fluoridation is not reasonable. The main article cited deals with the optimum level of fluoridation and basically finds that is probably unknowable. The articles cited also point out that the dental fluorosis encountered is virtually all mild, occurring more in the areas without fluoridated water and mostly associsated with good quality of life for oral health.

So we are still in the situation of whether we believe the Americasn Medical Association, the American Dental Association, The CDC or Scoop...a strip cook.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:40 AM

8 posts, read 20,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannaranch View Post
Is our tap water good to drink? What type of bad stuff is in the water and how can we find out what?
With FRACKING now coming to our area it is guaranteed our water quality will definitely not be fit to drink.

PLEASE wake up people.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:45 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

So we are still in the situation of whether we believe the Americasn Medical Association, the American Dental Association, The CDC or Scoop...a strip cook.
LVOC, don't you think that the word "strip" should have a capital "S"?

Don't forget that "Big Al" was once a patent office clerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas