Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 04:23 PM

635 posts, read 745,830 times

Advertisements

Wow I would be questioning why your HOA would be spending your money on a PPV boxing match...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 05:11 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
My job is having a viewing party, free admission and free food and drinks for me and a guest. I won't be there.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:20 PM

256 posts, read 320,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
Wow I would be questioning why your HOA would be spending your money on a PPV boxing match...
I definitely agree. I know some HOAs hold events to build community, but I would wonder if there wasn't some better type of event. Is that a kid friendly event?

Old 05-01-2015, 05:26 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,809,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd87 View Post
I definitely agree. I know some HOAs hold events to build community, but I would wonder if there wasn't some better type of event. Is that a kid friendly event?
Children don't live in my community. It's an unusual HOA.

Bill

Last edited by UTES; 05-01-2015 at 05:51 PM..

Old 05-01-2015, 06:57 PM

256 posts, read 320,814 times
Well then, if it's okay with the neighborhood then more power to them. I'm sure if it wasn't okay with the residents then you would be much more upset than you seem to be.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Children don't live in my community. It's an unusual HOA.

Bill
I hope Utes that you are a properly established 55+ community. Otherwise your community violates the law.

There are a number of 55+ communities around Las Vegas. They do not allow children under 18.

However the exemption is narrow and cannot extend to any community with less than 55 or older.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:42 PM

645 posts, read 706,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas taco View Post
find a link online
found any links yet?

pretty sure there will be plenty links right? tons of people will streaming

Old 05-01-2015, 10:27 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,132 times
Hell, if I want to watch millionaires duke it out, I tune to CSPAN

lots more blood and gore.

Jonathan

Old 05-02-2015, 07:18 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,135,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
You know what I just watched?

Me pulling a can off some moron's fist.

Return of the Jedi.

Didn't you hear me? Caitlin really is getting married.

Which did you like better: Jedi or The Empire Strikes Back?

Empire.

Blasphemy.

Empire had the better ending: Luke gets his hand cut off, and finds out Vader's his father; Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. And that's life - a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets.

There was something else going on in Jedi. I never noticed it until today.

What's that?

All right, Vader's boss...

The Emperor.

Right, the Emperor. Now the Emperor is kind of a spiritual figure, yes?

How do you mean?

Well, he's like the pope for the dark side of the Force. He's a holy man; a shaman, kind of, albeit an evil one.

I guess.

Now, he's in charge of the Empire. The Imperial government is under his control. And the entire galaxy is under Imperial rule.

Yeah.

Then wouldn't that logically mean that it's a theocracy? If the head of the Empire is a priest of some sort, then it stands to reason that the government is therefore one based on religion.

It would stand to reason, yes.

Hence, the Empire was a fascist theocracy, and the rebel forces were therefore battling religious persecution.

More or less.

The only problem is that at no point in the series did I ever hear Leia or any of the rebels declare a particular religious belief.

I think they were Catholics.

Are you open?

Yeah. Come in.

You know what else I noticed in Jedi?

There's more?

So they build another Death Star, right?

Yeah.

Now the first one they built was completed and fully operational before the Rebels destroyed it.

Luke blew it up. Give credit where it's due.

And the second one was still being built when they blew it up.

Compliments of Lando Calrissian.

Something just never sat right with me the second time they destroyed it. I could never put my finger on it. Something just wasn't right.

And you figured it out?

Well, the thing is, the first Death Star was manned by the Imperial army storm troopers, dignitaries. The only people onboard were Imperials.

Basically.

So when they blew it up, no prob. Evil is punished.

And the second time around?

The second time around, it wasn't even finished yet. They were still under construction.

So?

A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial Army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers.

Not just Imperials, is what you're getting at?

Exactly. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms.

All right, so even if independent contractors are working on the Death Star, why are you uneasy with its destruction?

All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed. Casualties of a war they had nothing to do with. All right, look - you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia - this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.

Excuse me. I don't mean to interrupt, but what were you talking about?

The ending of Return of the Jedi.

My friend is trying to convince me that any contractors working on the uncompleted Death Star were innocent victims when the space station was destroyed by the rebels.

Well, I'm a contractor myself. I'm a roofer. Dunn and Reddy Home Improvements. And speaking as a roofer, I can say that a roofer's personal politics come heavily into play when choosing jobs.

Like when?

Three months ago I was offered a job up in the hills. A beautiful house with tons of property. It was a simple reshingling job, but I was told that if it was finished within a day, my price would be doubled. Then I realized whose house it was.

Whose house was it?

Dominick Bambino's.

"Babyface" Bambino? The gangster?

The same. The money was right, but the risk was too big. I knew who he was, and based on that, I passed the job on to a friend of mine.

Based on personal politics.

Right. And that week, the Foresci family put a hit on Babyface's house. My friend was shot and killed. He wasn't even finished shingling.

No way!

I'm alive because I knew there were risks involved taking on that particular client. My friend wasn't so lucky. You know, any contractor willing to work on that Death Star knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault. A roofer listens to this... (taps his heart) not his wallet.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:23 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,809,776 times
I want the last 60 seconds of my life back.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: