Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:36 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,281,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
By definition, it means you're picky about peppers. And probably plenty more, I'd wager.

There's nothing stopping anyone from doing a google image search and seeing what is typically in a basket. The prices beat the Mexican marts because these baskets are as close to wholesale as a consumer is going to get. (Restaurants get better prices because of the volume they order.) The Mexican marts are closer to wholesale than Albertsons -- but they're not as close as a food co-op.

Seriously, there is no other way for someone not in the food business to get this for $15:

However, it takes some planning -- some food will need to be cooked and frozen/canned. I could make two weeks worth of food with the contents of this particular basket and some basic proteins and starches. I could drop my total food budget to around $20 per week if I wanted to.

I've done Bountiful Baskets for almost a year. I am not saying it isn't a great thing. I just wouldn't rely on them for my only source of "cheap" groceries. There are lots of great tips on eating on the cheap in this thread, so great advice given here. I just didn't like getting 3 heads of romaine and having them spoil before the weekend was over (that happened to me more than once). I am not saving money if I am throwing food out within 2 days.

There are about 4 foods I really do not like. Bell peppers just happens to be one of them (celery, melon, grapefruit are the other 3). I am a very NOT picky eater, actually

Old 05-19-2015, 10:45 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,104,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I've done Bountiful Baskets for almost a year. I am not saying it isn't a great thing. I just wouldn't rely on them for my only source of "cheap" groceries. There are lots of great tips on eating on the cheap in this thread, so great advice given here. I just didn't like getting 3 heads of romaine and having them spoil before the weekend was over (that happened to me more than once). I am not saving money if I am throwing food out within 2 days.

There are about 4 foods I really do not like. Bell peppers just happens to be one of them (celery, melon, grapefruit are the other 3). I am a very NOT picky eater, actually
I won't eat lentils, lima beans, liver ( any organ meat really) or tofu. I've tried really hard to like these things. They all just gag me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 11:03 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,281,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I won't eat lentils, lima beans, liver ( any organ meat really) or tofu. I've tried really hard to like these things. They all just gag me.

We like what we like, we don't like what we don't like! I am vegetarian so I don't eat meat, but that doesn't make me PICKY. I choose not to eat that. I actually LIKE it

I am a big reader of the weekly ads and will shop around for the best deals on food. It takes effort, but once you get in the habit, it becomes second nature. Lots of great info here!

Old 05-19-2015, 11:35 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,012,727 times
If you have a lot of money, food is easy. Just go to Whole Paycheck and be done with it. Then there is the rest of us who have to get good value for their money. I am glad to live in a place with this many choices that are reasonable. I probably eat better here for less than I could in many other areas of the country.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:28 PM

661 posts, read 630,673 times
I like shopping at Costco!

Old 05-19-2015, 01:33 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,104,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnftcret View Post
I like shopping at Costco!
Those places are good for some people. But not for me. I tend to go apesh!t in warehouse type stores and end up buying more than I need, or never going and wasting the membership cost.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:12 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,982,619 times
Quote:
Those places are good for some people. But not for me. I tend to go apesh!t in warehouse type stores and end up buying more than I need, or never going and wasting the membership cost.
There are some screamin' deals in the food section of Costco -- Parmesan cheese, for instance. Coffee, occasionally. (When they sell bags of Kenya AA or Rwandan for the same price per pound as Columbian, I buy as much as I think I can drink in four months. Particularly Rwandan.)

Other block cheeses are lowest cost in the valley at Costco. Depends on the cheese, naturally. Also, some dairy products, like milk and cream cheese are also lowest. But it's a giant block of cream cheese and a two-gallon pack of milk. So either drink a lot of milk or go shopping with a friend. In our case, we split the milk with our mother in law.

I make my own smoked salmon. But I use steelhead trout from Costco. Nobody knows the difference, and it's wild-caught with no color added for around $4/pound.

USDA Prime Beef is often the least expensive in the valley. (For those who like their steaks rare or medium rare. Otherwise, buy USDA choice -- Because you can't tell the difference after cooking the steak to medium or medium well.)

Nuts (other than peanuts) are almost always best purchased at Costco -- pecans, pine nuts, cashews, walnuts, macadamias.

The strategy for Costco is to make a list and never deviate from that list. Otherwise, you'll end up filling that Sherman tank of a shopping cart and blowing through your month's food budget in half an hour. The other big problem with Costco is their mega-sized processed food selection. Half the shoppers have a 20-pound box of corn dogs in the cart. That isn't good for their waistline or their wallet.

Since the Henderson Costco and Winco are within the back nine of each other, we usually knock both of them out the same day. Winco first for the bulk flour and pasta. And then Costco for the salmon, mussels and dairy.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:38 AM

775 posts, read 775,518 times
They are great fir kitty litter. We have 6 cats so it is the only way to go.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:46 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,488,182 times
Quote:
I remember many years back we had a membership at Costco. We bought bulk sugar and salt. Hahaha, let's just say the sugar and salt stayed with us for nearly a decade.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:22 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,012,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
There are some screamin' deals in the food section of Costco -- Parmesan cheese, for instance. Coffee, occasionally. (When they sell bags of Kenya AA or Rwandan for the same price per pound as Columbian, I buy as much as I think I can drink in four months. Particularly Rwandan.)

Other block cheeses are lowest cost in the valley at Costco. Depends on the cheese, naturally. Also, some dairy products, like milk and cream cheese are also lowest. But it's a giant block of cream cheese and a two-gallon pack of milk. So either drink a lot of milk or go shopping with a friend. In our case, we split the milk with our mother in law.

I make my own smoked salmon. But I use steelhead trout from Costco. Nobody knows the difference, and it's wild-caught with no color added for around $4/pound.

USDA Prime Beef is often the least expensive in the valley. (For those who like their steaks rare or medium rare. Otherwise, buy USDA choice -- Because you can't tell the difference after cooking the steak to medium or medium well.)

Nuts (other than peanuts) are almost always best purchased at Costco -- pecans, pine nuts, cashews, walnuts, macadamias.

The strategy for Costco is to make a list and never deviate from that list. Otherwise, you'll end up filling that Sherman tank of a shopping cart and blowing through your month's food budget in half an hour. The other big problem with Costco is their mega-sized processed food selection. Half the shoppers have a 20-pound box of corn dogs in the cart. That isn't good for their waistline or their wallet.

Since the Henderson Costco and Winco are within the back nine of each other, we usually knock both of them out the same day. Winco first for the bulk flour and pasta. And then Costco for the salmon, mussels and dairy.
That's my strategy for Costco too. Buy only what's on the list. But it's so hard...stuff keeps jumping into the cart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: