Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 05:54 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
If uber takes a customer to the airport, that's one less cab that makes the trip in, so there is no increase in cars going to the airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Never driven a cab ...only have driven some cabbies crazy... but I don't think it works that way.
Just because there will be additional uber cabs / drivers, that has zero effect on how many people going to the airport at any time of day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 06:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Just because there will be additional uber cabs / drivers, that has zero effect on how many people going to the airport at any time of day.
You could well be right. It certainly does not change the numbers of bodies hurtling down the runway. Then again we have taxis, hotel jitneys, the routed jitneys and the rent a car returns...does it change the balance.

And I also doubt it changes the numbers of bodies in Strip beds each night. But it may still heavily change the logistics of how they get around.

Could all turn into much ado about nothing...we shall see. Won't take long if it is going to bite us.

Most cities would slide through...but i think the lv STRIP is on the edge...so it may be more interesting.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:35 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
Quote:
[/color]

I haven't read the legislation, but I wonder how they will control the number of Uber drivers. Or will they? And can they just pick you up in the back ...in the parking garage maybe? At some point, if there are too many, nobody will make any money. Expect this issue to be revisited by the legislature in the future.
There are no restrictions on the number of Uber cars... the market will find it's own equilibrium. If there are too many cars, drivers will quit if they're not making enough money. See? The free market works after all!

Old 05-23-2015, 08:31 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
I'd still be careful about using Uber because taxi drivers are Teamsters, and we've seen what they can do to non-union drivers in the past.
Exactly! Expect some acts of violence and sabotage to come!

Only problem with this, is now there'll be 2 others that will stand in the way of ever getting a light rail line from the Airport to Fremont, or any extension of the Monorail!

Old 05-23-2015, 08:47 PM

775 posts, read 776,428 times
That is the only thing that will reduce the number of cars at the airport. Until then, the airport bus from Westcliffe is my best friend. Once an hour, 40 minute ride, $2. No snob value but great value and reliability. And despite what we have heard from the naysayers here, there is plenty of parking there, and that is full, the same bus starts from the Sun Coast and there is plenty there. It drops off at all the terminals, without a wait.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:52 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
That is the only thing that will reduce the number of cars at the airport. Until then, the airport bus from Westcliffe is my best friend. Once an hour, 40 minute ride, $2. No snob value but great value and reliability. And despite what we have heard from the naysayers here, there is plenty of parking there, and that is full, the same bus starts from the Sun Coast and there is plenty there. It drops off at all the terminals, without a wait.
That's what my wife and I have been doing too. Free parking and $2.00 tickets.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I guess what I am asking is, do the drivers go to the airport to wait for passengers to get off the planes, or do they only go to the airport when they have a passenger going to the airport? I suspect it's both, but I think I've only taken a cab here maybe three times in my life.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:59 PM

Next time we go on vacation, we're thinking of calling Uber. But would we really save any money over a regular cab?

Old 05-23-2015, 09:16 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,214 times
Quote:
Next time we go on vacation, we're thinking of calling Uber. But would we really save any money over a regular cab?
Last year when Uber was in business, I got an estimate, it was $30 to $35. The same route by taxi only cost me $28 including tips previously.
So I would always get an estimate from Uber before abandoning taxi.
And even if Uber is cheaper by a couple dollars, I would still take taxi simply because I don't like Uber's business practice.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:38 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
And even if Uber is cheaper by a couple dollars, I would still take taxi simply because I don't like Uber's business practice.

I'm the exact opposite. If Uber was a couple bucks more, I'd go with Uber. The taxi lobby screwing us out of a decent monorail is enough for me to never forgive the taxi companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada