Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:26 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times

Advertisements

I've hired illegals and never had a problem with them, I tried hiring the legal workers, but they either did not show up, or felt they could drink on the job. It was straight up grunt work, the legal workers farted around for 2 days complaining about how hard the job was, I got fed up with the BS and fired them. The illegal crew came in and busted ass for 1 day and did twice what the previous crew did in 2, not one complaint, and they were thankful for the pay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 02:15 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Did you hire a boss and crew as a unit, or did you go down to HD and round them up one by one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I've hired illegals and never had a problem with them, I tried hiring the legal workers, but they either did not show up, or felt they could drink on the job. It was straight up grunt work, the legal workers farted around for 2 days complaining about how hard the job was, I got fed up with the BS and fired them. The illegal crew came in and busted ass for 1 day and did twice what the previous crew did in 2, not one complaint, and they were thankful for the pay

Old 05-28-2015, 03:13 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
From page one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV
Hire licensed people with insurance. And make sure they're really licensed and insured.
My homeowner's policy does not cover hiring illegal aliens from the Home Depot parking lot. I had to purchase additional coverage just in case someone injures themselves on my property. Be it a Jehovah's Witness, someone knocking on doors campaigning for congress, or idiot kids running along the privacy wall (which happens surprisingly regularly).
My point was that as a homeowner, you need to check the insurance yourself. Most people take what is on the website or business card as truth.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:20 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
I would never use Home Depot parking lot 'day laborers' because they are as useless as t**ts on a boar. Many of them (if not most) try to get you to pay them more after they have agreed with you on wages on the work needed to be performed. They play dumb and are real good at it. Some will slack off the entire time they're there to avoid working. Others will work with one hand while the other is holding up the mobile phone chatting away. It's better to use high school kids that need pocket money that speak English and are American citizens. A free ad on Craigslist may get you dependable labor.

-Cheers.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:23 PM

244 posts, read 439,935 times
People here are against illegal aliens.

End of story.

If those "home depot" people were just unemployed American citizens without job nobody would say anything. (nobody would even talk about insurance and how many beers they drink at job)

End of story.

And if two "home depot" guys do the job for 200 $ and one "bonded and insured" contractor asks 1000 for same job which one you would use?

My backyard was done by one Las Vegas Landscape company,bonded and insured,they always advertise in newspaper, they charged me more then we agreed (and I went to court with them) and guess what - People they sent me to do the job were latinos, no English spoken, and one of them is "regular home depot guy". I see him always in front of HD Summerlin. They did excellent job , but their boss/employer (off course American citizen) was dishonest and tried to get more money from us.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:34 PM

244 posts, read 439,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
The issue is if they show up at the hospital and the hospital asks "how did you receive this injury" and they said it was "working on/for you" then the bill gets sent directly to you from the hospital. You then argue it out with hospital. The hospital wants to get paid, they'll go where they can get the money.
So what if you tell them he was just your friend helping you to do something?

If it is like you say then nobody would invite their friends at home.

I have my friends always helping me to do work around my house

Old 05-28-2015, 06:56 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,433,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
..... It's better to use high school kids that need pocket money that speak English and are American citizens. A free ad on Craigslist may get you dependable labor.

-Cheers.
Why would high school kids who speak English do these dirty work in the heat of summer? They could go work at shopping malls, fast foods...etc, in the comfort of AC.
A couple hours of dirty work here and there (and constantly looking for these small jobs) comes up to be the same or less than a steady hourly wage in the shopping mall.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:52 PM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
I Can't believe anyone is questioning if they are criminals. If course they are. They broke the immigration laws and came here illegally. They are criminals. You may not agree with the immigration laws and that's fine. Change them. But until you do, you can't pick and choose which crimes you enforce based on how you feel about that law.

And I agree with Scoop. Even above all other problems with this scenario, the biggest issue is the liability. Don't do it.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
People here are against illegal aliens.

End of story.

If those "home depot" people were just unemployed American citizens without job nobody would say anything. (nobody would even talk about insurance and how many beers they drink at job)

End of story.

You couldn't be further from the truth. I don't care much about immigration status. Immigration is what made this country great. And most of my ancestors just "showed up" without any kind of papers -- because there were no passports and visas back then.

Some of them never learned English, either -- just like today. And three generations later, you have people like me. This problem sorts itself out automatically given time.

My entire issue is with liability. I don't hire kids to do my landscaping either. Why? I cannot enter a legally binding contract with a minor. And a handshake or verbal isn't good enough if the kid manages to cut off a digit with a hedge trimmer.

And even though I have insurance for such things, I still don't want to go through the claim process. People who haven't been sued generally have no understanding what being the defendant is like -- even if the defendant wins, he or she loses. Lawsuits cost. Anyone who said "Talk is cheap" never dealt with billable hours.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:15 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
I had far more problems with regular contractors, people with "insured and bonded" license, American citizens off course, some of these people costed me thousands of dollars for their poor job, I went even to court with some of them.
I agree, in that there is no real advantage to hiring day laborers or licensed contractors. Some contractors advertise a license number, but it may not be valid. My mom hired a guy she saw working in her neighborhood. She asked questions, he had answers. She needed a perimeter block wall built between her house and the neighbor's because winds had toppled the wooden fence. That sort of job is child's play for responsible, experienced workers who know what they're doing.

The loser got halfway through the project before he disappeared (after collecting much money up front, of course).

It turned out he was operating via another man's license (with his consent). We only ever spoke to him on the phone once, when he bothered to answer his cell. I then chose to investigate this "other" guy; when I located the neighborhood (a retirement community, of all places), the house number proved to be nonexistent. My mom sued, but they were no-shows, and there's no way for the court to enforce restitution on their behalf.

We had to hire another contractor to complete the job, while I took it upon myself to haul away concrete, rocks and materials left from the first attempt.

Bottom line: it's a crapshoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: