Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:49 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times

Advertisements

We were definately off grid in the desert and we got satalite for our entertainment.
It would help to know why you want to be off grid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 10:55 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Most of those lots are being sold at prices that range between, "you-gotta-be-kidding-me" and "I-could-live-on-the-California-coast-for-that." Owners who set a price in stone in 2006 and are still waiting for the market to rise to those prices.

At least utilities won't be a problem in Sunrise. And we could be neighbors. Woo! Woo!

But seriously, with all the really interesting architecture in the Los Feliz area, why build a 1,000 sqft, two story house? Easy enough to buy one of the hundreds of custom homes in that area and do minor modifications. You could buy a pagoda, or a Twain-riverboat-homage, or a Frank Lloyd Wright design, even a Queen Anne. Plenty to choose from on Los Feliz and Radwick.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:57 PM

7 posts, read 8,790 times
Quote:
there are some lots east of Los Feliz that are unlisted FSBO I believe
How does one find unlisted land plots?

Quote:
It would help to know why you want to be off grid.
I was thinking it was the only way to find a plot I liked. I think the keyword I should have used is 'ridge line'. I like the privacy of not being surrounded by other houses. I like the elevation of the mountains. It just has to be south facing (I am going for a energy efficient passive house design).

If I can find a 'ridge line' plot in the 100-200k range that is 'on grid', that would be perfect. Or 100k off grid + 50k to run utilities, makes no difference to me.

Quote:
But seriously, with all the really interesting architecture in the Los Feliz area, why build a 1,000 sqft, two story house?
Sorry I should have mentioned I have a very specific design/floor plan in mind. It has to be custom.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:00 PM

222 posts, read 226,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdusername View Post
How does one find unlisted land plots?
One must lay eyeballs on the sign poking out of the lot.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:07 PM

7 posts, read 8,790 times
Quote:
One must lay eyeballs on the sign poking out of the lot.
Figured that. Which is a problem since I am out of state...

Old 05-29-2015, 10:05 AM

18 posts, read 23,768 times
I live on Los Feliz and love it up here. We bought a great custom home on 1/2 acre, no HOA. We were originally looking in the NW but we are so glad we chose this area. Nice and quiet and the views are amazing!

Old 05-29-2015, 10:30 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I think the issue with being off grid in Vegas isn't electricity so much (although the need for AC makes getting away from that difficult) as water. If you're not on city water, I think you're pretty much out of luck. Even if you get a property with water rights, how much will a well be, and is a well even viable?

And, of course the OP wants high speed internet. By definition, if you have that, you're on the grid.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:05 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Basically high speed internet is only available within a half mile or less of developed area.

There are ridge line lots available in some places such as McDonald Ranch. These lots however cost a fortune. Around a million. There are lots with great views available in the east, south east, southwest and north west. These will tend to be on the alluvial plains leading to the mountains or the initial slope of the mountains themselves.

So practically OP needs to find an existing lot with cable or very nearby. Even existing lots with nearby homes may not have cable. It is not present in all areas of the valley. You have to check the particular lot or street.

Wells and community wells are quite common on such properties. And you can still drill one on an isolated acre or more. In most areas of the valley wells yield very well. The bad news is that high lots take deep wells. One could get by with hauled water though that is expensive. And you will need a septic system to deal with sewage.

Virtually all homes with access to cable will have electric. And you cannot get by on solar arrays alone. Need four or five of the battery walls to hold the AC in the peak period.

There are lots of isolated areas outside of LV like Sandy Valley or Pahrump etc. I know of no one who has been able to get reasonably fast internet in those locations.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:07 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
It's not a big deal to get a well as long as you meet the building requirements. In Henderson, you are required to connect to city water (and pay all expenses related to extending the main water line) if you are within 600' of a water main. If you're outside of 600' you can drill a well.

I have no idea what are the building requirements for power and if it's even permitted to build completely off grid.

Most places with a well won't have high speed internet though. It's an issue of density, the cable company has to pay a fixed cost to run main line one mile, how many customers can they serve on normal 6000sf lot sizes versus a one acre lot sizes.

Not here in Vegas, but a friend of mine is just outside of cable company high speed internet access zone. He made friends with a neighbor that has cable and set up a wireless point to point network. Apparently it's not too expensive (<$500) and you can get speeds over 100mb. He pays the neighbor's internet bill in exchange for helping him get access.

As for the OP, I hope he is paying cash. The likelyhood of a bank lending on this type of arrangement (or getting a workable appraisal) is near zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I think the issue with being off grid in Vegas isn't electricity so much (although the need for AC makes getting away from that difficult) as water. If you're not on city water, I think you're pretty much out of luck. Even if you get a property with water rights, how much will a well be, and is a well even viable?

And, of course the OP wants high speed internet. By definition, if you have that, you're on the grid.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:32 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,336 times
Also buying next to BLM land means very little. They could sell to a developer and next thing you know, new houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas