Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 11:05 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I'm pretty much the exact same way about West Virginia, except I've never gone back for more than a week or two to visit several times. My first wife did after only a few months here, and she couldn't stand it. You change more than they do for some reason. I guess you take on the habits of the place where you live now. Most of my living relatives are in and around Austin, TX, too, BTW. I lived in Laredo for almost three years and couldn't wait to get back here to Nevada, and/or out of Texas; even though they sent me to Reno instead of Las Vegas, and I was there for almost two years. But I finally made it home again to Las Vegas.

Then about ten years later I was transferred to Albuquerque for over two years. At first I thought maybe I hated it, but it didn't take long to love the place. It's one of the nicest cities in the country. In 2006 or 2007 we were getting ready to sell our house here and buy one over there, when the bottom dropped out. It's probably better that we didn't go though looking back on it.
Look at all of us Austinites and Texan associates in this Nevada pride thread!

I've always had a good feeling about Albuquerque, NM and I've never been there that I know of. Maybe it's seeing their big annual balloon launch on TV growing up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 06:26 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Witch View Post
Native Las Vegan and proud of it!

Sometimes {but not most of the times}, though, considering what I see nowadays and who I've met that has moved here, there are times that I'm not so sure I'm proud of it
I have been a resident here for 30 years and I can safely say the caliber of the residents here are nothing to be proud of, somehow, NOT all but many of the people moving here are trashy and lack finesse, definitely not classy at all.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:42 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Pride in things I have nothing to do with is not something I have.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:38 AM

555 posts, read 1,259,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
I have been a resident here for 30 years and I can safely say the caliber of the residents here are nothing to be proud of, somehow, NOT all but many of the people moving here are trashy and lack finesse, definitely not classy at all.

Exactly

Old 06-01-2015, 09:02 PM

256 posts, read 321,027 times
I have to be honest. If I am surrounded by people that do nothing but complain about Nevada/Las Vegas, I'm sure I will end up hating it too.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:55 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
It's the complete opposite here in Colorado. Heck, we're bombarded 24/7 about "Colorado Pride, this, Colorado Pride, that". And what amazes me is that we're a very transient state too. I think it may have to do with where the transients are from. We even have vanity license plates that read "Colorado Proud".

Old 06-02-2015, 01:49 PM

256 posts, read 321,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
It's the complete opposite here in Colorado. Heck, we're bombarded 24/7 about "Colorado Pride, this, Colorado Pride, that". And what amazes me is that we're a very transient state too. I think it may have to do with where the transients are from. We even have vanity license plates that read "Colorado Proud".
That doesn't surprise me at all. We visited Denver last year, and the people definitely loved their state. We also went up to Wyoming, and that was another area where people were very proud of where they were from. Visiting Colorado was by far my favorite trip. Granted I'm not too well traveled beyond the western US, but I really enjoyed being in that area. You even get thunderstorms!

Old 06-02-2015, 07:59 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd87 View Post
This is a concern of mine. My cousins live in Henderson, and they always tell me how they don't know any of their neighbors.

I'm still having trouble getting over my Texas pride. It's definitely not easy, especially living in a state I don't enjoy. I've already subscribed to Nevada Magazine, and am ready to learn as much as I can about the history. That's one of my biggest issues with California. Very rare that historical buildings are saved. The state prefers to destroy them, and build new. If I find Nevada appreciates their history then you might have trouble ever getting rid of me.
Naw, we blow stuff up when it reaches maturity. Seriously. Las Vegas in particular is a place that reinvents itself every couple of decades. The Venetian? That used to be The Sands. That building was built to last, but it was imploded to make way for bigger & better.

We do have the Mob Museam, the Neon Boneyard, and the Atomic Museam which are very interesting parts of Nevada history. This place has tons of history. Much of it unsavory, but never dull.

We are not big on preservation though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas