Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 08:33 AM

638 posts, read 594,129 times

Advertisements

So I have to order quite a few bits and pieces to await my arrival, and because I need them immediately I'm sending them to a friends house. Now he's out a lot, and from what I've seen, parcels are just left on doorsteps in vegas. Not a problem in my house, since it's not visible from the street, but my friends place is. Strangely amazon.com nor bestbuy, or anyone else I've looked at seem to allow alternative delivery instructions. Amazon UK has a "what if I'm not in?" section, where you can say things like, leave it around back, at the neighbor etc. It seems very strange that amazon US doesn't. In fact Amazon sent me this in response to my enquiry:

Quote:
Hello,

I understand your concern regarding the alternate delivery address.

I'm very sorry to let you know that currently this alternate delivery feature is not available on Amazon.com. We completely understand the importance of this feature. It will be really convenient for our valuable customers, if this would have been implemented.

However, considering this issue as a feedback, I'm forwarding your comments and feature request to our appropriate team. We value your feedback, as it helps us continue to improve our store and provide better service to our customers.
So what happens here? Do you just have parcels delivered and hope that they'll still be there when you get home? If they disappear, will they be replaced? I need to order about $1500 worth of stuff, so I'm not that keep on leaving it to fate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 08:54 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,969 times
The shipping carriers like UPS, Fedexe, Ontrac in the US negotiate a low rate with the merchants to keep existing contracts and one way to keep costs down is to do a one time delivery only and rely on faith that the recipient will receive it. If the off chance that it not delivered at the right address or is stolen, damaged. They rely on the insurance to cover the cost. Now there is people who make a living stealing delivery parcels and it's getting worse each year. Some companies like Amazon will take care of you if the parcel never arrives to your hands after you call. Other companies may blow you off and refer you to the carriers insurance department to make a claim. Do your research on the company before you purchase.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:28 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
I routinely have packages left at the door (not that I'm particularly thrilled about that). I have yet to have a package stolen. And I live in an ungated area of Sunrise. While it's quite nice up here, I have to drive through a sketchy area every day in order to return home.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 AM

402 posts, read 745,887 times
Until Doorman gets to LV, you either have to get to know your delivery man or risk it. If I am expecting something through US Mail, I'll leave a note in my mailbox with a note for the postman to put it in a "hidden" place. My FedEx guy just started putting things behind my locked gates on his own. I have had other packages stolen until I had my security system installed and then the thefts magically stopped.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:33 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
I have all my mail as well as deliveries from UPS, FedEx and motor freight delivered to my box at a UPS store.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:42 AM

256 posts, read 320,997 times
You can set up an account with UPS where you can tell them that you want the package left at the center for picking up.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:15 PM

I find the whole thing amazing...

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Best Buy.

I am sorry to inform you that we cannot make special instructions like where you want your order put when it's delivered. It's going to be up to the carrier. I suggest that you please call the carrier once you have the tracking number to possibly request that your packages be put at the back of your house to avoid theft.

We appreciate your business.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:29 PM

698 posts, read 985,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
Not a problem in my house, since it's not visible from the street, but my friends place is.
I wouldn't be too sure, house we rented when we first moved to Vegas, very nice area $1,800 mo rental, shielded from street etc., AMEX delivered a new card to me via FedEx a day early and left it on our porch. Next day I get a call from AMEX asking if I had used my card at CVS to purchase a soda and then gone back in and bought $1,000 worth of gift cards . . . wasn't me! Whats nuts is I called the manager at the CVS it was used at and he told me he thought something was funny with the guy using my card so he stood behind the cashier when she rang him up. Said the guy had an ID that matched my card so they did the transaction. Other thing that I don't understand is it was a Costco AMEX, it has my picture on the back, wonder if they changed that picture too.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too confident about your porch not being visible . . .

Old 05-30-2015, 01:37 PM

Christ that sounds dangerous! What did you do? If they have id in your name you'd have to be on the look out for some major problems!

Old 05-30-2015, 01:57 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Ive had 1 package stolen..funny it was the free priority boxes from the post office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas