Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:37 PM

76 posts, read 144,566 times

Advertisements

Hello there!
I am visiting Las Vegas later this summer, for vacation. I have been applying for jobs there, and have an upcomming interview. The three areas that stuck out most to me were The Paseos, Aliante, and Green Valley. I want a an area with somewhat decent schools, and a lot of activities. I wanted to know if what the communities are like in comparison to each other. It seems Summerlin is more expensive, which I am fine with paying, it is cheaper than Northern Virginia, where I currently reside. Why is that? Is it due to Downtown Summerlin?

Another thing, when I lived in Scottsdale, there were a lot of reports of scorpions and other critters. If you know anything on that aspect of living in these communities, please inform me. I know that part of living in the desert southwest is the inevitability of finding a creature, but I don't want an infestation.

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 10:51 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,731,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mario View Post
Hello there!
I am visiting Las Vegas later this summer, for vacation. I have been applying for jobs there, and have an upcomming interview. The three areas that stuck out most to me were The Paseos, Aliante, and Green Valley. I want a an area with somewhat decent schools, and a lot of activities. I wanted to know if what the communities are like in comparison to each other. It seems Summerlin is more expensive, which I am fine with paying, it is cheaper than Northern Virginia, where I currently reside. Why is that? Is it due to Downtown Summerlin?

Another thing, when I lived in Scottsdale, there were a lot of reports of scorpions and other critters. If you know anything on that aspect of living in these communities, please inform me. I know that part of living in the desert southwest is the inevitability of finding a creature, but I don't want an infestation.

Thanks in Advance!
The areas you picked are all OK and among at least 50 others equally OK. They are not remotely similar but give enough ground to cover a huge number of other tracts.

Summerlin is not more expensive. Some places in Summerlin are more expensive. Some places in Summerlin are inexpensive.

Green Valley for instance probably runs over a 5 or 10 to 1 cost ratio depending on where in GV you are.

There is a lead in thread at the top of this list that explains a lot of this. You might want to read it before you go much further.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:54 PM

76 posts, read 144,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The areas you picked are all OK and among at least 50 others equally OK. They are not remotely similar but give enough ground to cover a huge number of other tracts.

Summerlin is not more expensive. Some places in Summerlin are more expensive. Some places in Summerlin are inexpensive.

Green Valley for instance probably runs over a 5 or 10 to 1 cost ratio depending on where in GV you are.

There is a lead in thread at the top of this list that explains a lot of this. You might want to read it before you go much further.
Thanks for the insight! I will take that into consideration.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:57 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,208,904 times
If you pick Aliante, live north of the beltway. That way your kids get the better high school later on.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:08 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,671,463 times
Green Valley has more of an urban feel.

Paseos is great new development. I live in Summerlin, but we will be moving to Green Valley in Henderson.

We have no issues with bugs.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:34 AM

52 posts, read 82,612 times
The South side of Vegas has much more things going on then the north. I used to live in Centennial Hills and always traveled south. Summerlin is great too, Alliante is way too north for me. Takes forever to get anywhere from there, but that's my opinion!!! Everyone has one.,

About the critters, saw way more snakes, scorpions, coyotes, and havilinas when I live in Surprise AZ then I ever saw in Vegas.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:43 PM

455 posts, read 645,983 times
"Takes forever" in the LV Valley means "about 30 minutes"...

Old 06-19-2015, 01:04 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,888,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina702 View Post
The South side of Vegas has much more things going on then the north. I used to live in Centennial Hills and always traveled south. Summerlin is great too, Alliante is way too north for me. Takes forever to get anywhere from there, but that's my opinion!!! Everyone has one.,

About the critters, saw way more snakes, scorpions, coyotes, and havilinas when I live in Surprise AZ then I ever saw in Vegas.
Aliante to Spring Mountain (strip) about 20 minutes... 30 in rush hour...

Old 06-19-2015, 03:25 PM

661 posts, read 626,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina702 View Post

This is why I want to live in Spring Valley. It is close to everything without having to drive from the NW.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:38 PM

176 posts, read 263,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
On average Summerlin would be more expensive. The top 2 zip codes by median property value in the Las Vegas Valley is 89135 (Summerlin South) and 89138 (Summerlin West).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas