Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 03:49 PM

6,373 posts, read 11,828,094 times

Advertisements

Went to a Strip restaurant I wont name for a birthday meal and a family member came along who happens to be a vegan. At this restaurant they have nothing remotely vegan. She ordered just the side salad and insisted it was ok for her. Well bill comes and we find out despite the charge for her salad it's not enough and they wanted to tack on a minimum plate charge. I told the server that seemed wrong to discriminate against a diner like that and she brings in her manager. Manager talks about principles and other stupid manager speak and says it costs us money to host her blah blah blah. It was in whole very rude.

So I said fine I will abide by my principles and reduced the tip by the charge. Then I just got a speech by the server about how it wasnt fair and she stormed off. The manager comes with an even ruder attitude and tells us we should probably leave. And sure enough as we are leaving two security people outside are watching us exit and literally followed us to the garage, although they didny say anything.

Now what exactly did I do wrong? Arent tips optional anymore? In a society where lots of tastes and diets differ is it really proper to have to put up with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 03:55 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,790,359 times
no

but name the restaurant or give us a hint

Old 06-24-2015, 03:59 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,535,237 times
Although I don't agree that you should've penalized the server for the manager's lack of etiquette, that is not the restaurant's decision to make. If they wanted to make tips mandatory, they could automatically add it to the bill instead of leaving it to the discretion of the customer. Having you removed by force via security guards makes that place ripe for a lawsuit and shows how immature the manager is.

Write a fitting yelp review, tell all your friends and family not to go there. Maybe even submit the story to LVRJ and see if it they publish it.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:00 PM

561 posts, read 677,619 times
You punished the server for something she has no control over - the BS minimum plate charge. Your beef is with the manager and the establishment for charging you for something they did not provide; it isn't with the server.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:06 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,922,161 times
Yep, give us the name! I've never heard of anything so ridiculous.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:13 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,426,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
no

but name the restaurant or give us a hint
No worries. If the name comes up with a negative review here. City Data will promptly delete it.
Sometimes Yelp will delete negative reviews too.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:23 PM

188 posts, read 356,962 times
You were VERY wrong to give the server less of a tip. The server has nothing to do with the policies of the restaurant. The restaurant has some bad policies and rude managers and will likely lose business over it. However, there is no way the server should be punished over it.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:26 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,059,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Went to a Strip restaurant I wont name for a birthday meal and a family member came along who happens to be a vegan. At this restaurant they have nothing remotely vegan. She ordered just the side salad and insisted it was ok for her. Well bill comes and we find out despite the charge for her salad it's not enough and they wanted to tack on a minimum plate charge. I told the server that seemed wrong to discriminate against a diner like that and she brings in her manager. Manager talks about principles and other stupid manager speak and says it costs us money to host her blah blah blah. It was in whole very rude.

So I said fine I will abide by my principles and reduced the tip by the charge. Then I just got a speech by the server about how it wasnt fair and she stormed off. The manager comes with an even ruder attitude and tells us we should probably leave. And sure enough as we are leaving two security people outside are watching us exit and literally followed us to the garage, although they didny say anything.

Now what exactly did I do wrong? Arent tips optional anymore? In a society where lots of tastes and diets differ is it really proper to have to put up with this?

If you already knew the family member is vegan why would you choose a restaurant that is not vegan or invite them?

You should have given the server their tip if the service they provided you was good service.
Then you go home and you write to the corporate office of the restaurant and you voice your opinion and file your complaint with them.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:29 PM

720 posts, read 763,555 times
+1 for the yelp review
+1 hint at the name
+1 shouldn't have punished the server

BUT, that server's attitude about the tip was wrong as well. I've been a server before and sometimes funky tips when you've given primo service is part of the business. It's not fair but it happens.

Tell everyone who will listen about that place OP.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:31 PM

6,373 posts, read 11,828,094 times
I don't want this to be about the restaurant, just about this BS plate charge as a concept especially because someone in your party wont eat what you offer. One thing I will add is the server and manager seemed more intent on causing the stir but I didnt stiff, it's just my tip came out to about 6%. Im guessing someone else left a smaller percentage tip at some point during the evening.

And FYI I was a server many years ago, paid my way through school doing it. I used to get stiffed and I would always remember it evens out eventually. If someone was stiffing only thing you could do is try to encourage them to wrap things up, but certainly wouldnt tell them to get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas