Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 03:58 PM

33 posts, read 34,395 times

Advertisements

Just saw a link to this... Morgan Spurlock's made a short film about the revitalization of DTLV.

For all the talk of how downtown has changed, I don't think enough credit is given to Beauty Bar for plunking alternative culture down there first. Am I wrong? Am I being a tourist?

here's the short:

[vimeo]127608535[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/127608535
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 06:56 PM

621 posts, read 538,302 times
I thoroughly enjoyed that video. Every time I visit Vegas I make sure to take some time and spend it downtown. The Container Park really does have a community vibe and I find it very relaxing there.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I have always enjoyed downtown. It's just a fun place to be.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:51 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,040,205 times
With so many of our country's downtown area's being revitalized and built up, downtown housing development is where we're really lagging behind the rest of the country. I'm puzzled as to why there isn't, at least, 6 cranes in the air putting up some new mid-rises or high rises, given the Ogden is 100% occupied, as it takes a good year or 2 to get a new mid-rise or high rise built!

Obviously, Carolyn Goodman is more of a proponent for more entertainment venues, and a soccer stadium, and she thinks Tony Hseih is a god!

Old 07-15-2015, 10:40 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpypotpie View Post
The Container Park really does have a community vibe and I find it very relaxing there.
Would you consider moving downtown?(Outsidw of the Ogden?)

Old 07-16-2015, 12:46 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Downtown Las Vegas: A Dream Deferred? | Nevada Public Radio

Long audio piece attached to this story. I'm glad I'm not one of the people who was suckered into moving here under the false pretenses of "urban planning flavor of the month."

Executive summary: We cannot fix poverty by merely throwing money at the problem.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:23 AM

I would not move downtown Las Vegas, as is, to enjoy an urban lifestyle, with the hope of living without a car. I did that, back in Minneapolis, in 1989, bought a condo/loft downtown, and still! You needed a car to drive 3-4 miles to a grocery store! I've been watching all the housing developments in downtown Minneapolis, since I left, with tons of new housing, and just recently, they seemed to wake up to the idea: Oh shoot! We forgot to build a grocery store!

And, in many of these "revitalized" cities, what grocery store chain finally decides to take the risk and build one downtown? Whole Foods! And with their expensive prices, I'd still need transportation to get to La Bonita, Albertson's or Smith's!

Sheesh! Where I live, near DI/Pecos, I have a nice "urban life style" without being downtown, with Albertson's, Marketon, Dollar General being walking distance!

But the impression I get, with these revitalized cities, is that everyone living there is going to eat all their meals at restaurants, so no need for grocery stores!

But there's certainly more need for downtown housing. When I go to work on Friday/Saturday nights, I see the long line of cars coming from the west, backed up, trying to get into the downtown area. And if you end up drinking too much, and facing along drive back home.......................................

Old 07-16-2015, 08:33 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,103 times
Not quite downtown, but there is a 22-story tower planned near the Stratosphere.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:03 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I would not move downtown Las Vegas, as is, to enjoy an urban lifestyle, with the hope of living without a car. I did that, back in Minneapolis, in 1989, bought a condo/loft downtown, and still! You needed a car to drive 3-4 miles to a grocery store! I've been watching all the housing developments in downtown Minneapolis, since I left, with tons of new housing, and just recently, they seemed to wake up to the idea: Oh shoot! We forgot to build a grocery store!

And, in many of these "revitalized" cities, what grocery store chain finally decides to take the risk and build one downtown? Whole Foods! And with their expensive prices, I'd still need transportation to get to La Bonita, Albertson's or Smith's!

Sheesh! Where I live, near DI/Pecos, I have a nice "urban life style" without being downtown, with Albertson's, Marketon, Dollar General being walking distance!

But the impression I get, with these revitalized cities, is that everyone living there is going to eat all their meals at restaurants, so no need for grocery stores!

But there's certainly more need for downtown housing. When I go to work on Friday/Saturday nights, I see the long line of cars coming from the west, backed up, trying to get into the downtown area. And if you end up drinking too much, and facing along drive back home.......................................
I can tell you that SOME cities are trying to do it right. In Des Moines, there is a plan to build a HyVee grocery store downtown (big Midwest chain, the major one in Des Moines) in the midst of all the new housing being built. Too bad more don't do the same.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:16 AM

When I was in downtown Dallas in 2009, I was surprised to see a no-name grocery store downtown and I expressed my surprise to the owner/manager. He told me, that the Dallas City Council threatened to put a moratorium on any new housing construction, or converted office buildings to condo's/apt.'s, until there was a grocery store!

In Portland, I was wandering around the Pearl District, with all those new spiffy condo buildings, and I stumbled across a huge Whole Foods grocery store. Having never been inside one, curiously I walked in, checked it out, and that was the last time I've been to Whole Foods. $1 for an orange, $1 for an apple?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: