U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2015, 12:15 PM
 
240 posts, read 239,692 times
Reputation: 148

Advertisements

I hope this is not against forum rules, The wife and I looking for a company to build a pool in our back yard here in Vegas and after reading all reviews about them we are very scared.

We had one guy from one company other day giving us estimate but day after I was surprised reading about his company negative reviews . (9 negative and 1 positive).

If anyone here used and company here please share your (positive) experience

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2015, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
5,290 posts, read 4,132,884 times
Reputation: 3406
Have you asked that one company about the reviews? I've found that most people suck, so are much more likely to leave a negative review than a positive one.

I would get the guy on the phone, express your concerns, and get HIS side to what happened. And somewhere between his version and the negative reviewer's version is the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2015, 01:11 PM
 
1,290 posts, read 2,307,391 times
Reputation: 776
Have you ever considered buying a swim spa? Depending on what you want in a pool, that may be the way for you to go. You see and know what you are getting when you buy, you have a smaller footprint product that costs less to operate and all you have to do is have someone install it as you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2015, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
808 posts, read 1,082,498 times
Reputation: 540
get locations of other pools they have installed and see if the owners would allow you to see the pool in person. you can talk to them about the whole experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2015, 05:59 PM
 
240 posts, read 239,692 times
Reputation: 148
I found this - gobyop.com build your own pool

interesting....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2015, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
10,410 posts, read 18,812,400 times
Reputation: 3000
https://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnPool



doug day did our pool...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2015, 06:16 PM
 
607 posts, read 371,527 times
Reputation: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
I found this - gobyop.com build your own pool

interesting....
I did an owner/builder pool (didn't use gobyop) and highly recommend it. Saved a lot of money and got a larger more upgraded pool built in weeks. Again, I didn't use gobyop I did it on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2015, 01:34 AM
 
344 posts, read 146,701 times
Reputation: 258
How do you build your own pool? I wouldnt even know where to begin...

Based on the quote process of having some work to my pumps (I wanted them automated) I'm relatively prepared to base certain assumptions on who I'd trust to do some work.

One pool company that comes up a lot on google searches for pool companies in LV didn't listen to a word I said and gave me a $10k quote. One was very good over the phone and I nearly went with him, but he used Haywood equipment whereas everyone else used Pentair, so I got put off.

One company was so bad at communication that I gave up, which I felt bad about since it turned out they built the pool 25 odd years ago.

The company I used was very well priced, communicated very well, explained things well over the phone, when I pointed out potential extra problems mailed me back to say he'd seen them and they were already incorporated into the quote. Called me to say he can do the work earlier then planned (while I wasn't in the country) and did a neat great job.

There was a slight problem with some electrics tripping, and he was straight back the next day to sort it all. Excellent in my book.

PM me if you want my (little!) list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2015, 01:38 AM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
10,410 posts, read 18,812,400 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
How do you build your own pool? I wouldnt even know where to begin...

Based on the quote process of having some work to my pumps (I wanted them automated) I'm relatively prepared to base certain assumptions on who I'd trust to do some work.

One pool company that comes up a lot on google searches for pool companies in LV didn't listen to a word I said and gave me a $10k quote. One was very good over the phone and I nearly went with him, but he used Haywood equipment whereas everyone else used Pentair, so I got put off.

One company was so bad at communication that I gave up, which I felt bad about since it turned out they built the pool 25 odd years ago.

The company I used was very well priced, communicated very well, explained things well over the phone, when I pointed out potential extra problems mailed me back to say he'd seen them and they were already incorporated into the quote. Called me to say he can do the work earlier then planned (while I wasn't in the country) and did a neat great job.

There was a slight problem with some electrics tripping, and he was straight back the next day to sort it all. Excellent in my book.

PM me if you want my (little!) list
doug day is like a broker.... you pay him a set fee. each contractor get's paid by you individually.... parts, material, labor, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2015, 03:59 AM
 
344 posts, read 146,701 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
doug day is like a broker.... you pay him a set fee. each contractor get's paid by you individually.... parts, material, labor, etc..
Ok, so its not like you literally are out there with a set of instructions and a shovel!

I'm curious because I have a family friend looking to put a pool in also, and at 80 years old, he can't do any heavy lifting!

I take it then that he sources different people and they do each part, as opposed to just dealing with one pool company to get the work done? -does he manage the build as well or is that where the 'build it yourself' element comes in?

Edit: done a little research, whats Doug Day's connection with Desert springs pools?

Last edited by hotjambalaya; 07-24-2015 at 05:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2016, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top