U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:16 PM

5 posts, read 19,251 times
Default Spiders

Hello,

I am new to las Vegas and I hate spiders. Does anyone know about spiders ? I found some in my appartments that look like Black Windows but don't have the red hourglass or dots. But they are as ugly ! They also seem to have a different abdomen that is not as round as the one of the Black Widow but more oval in the length side. It is as black as the Black Widow. So what kind of spider is that. It also has 2 hooks below what should be the mouth. The legs look a little the same style as the Black Widow with the 2 front and back much longer than the one of the sides. I don't find any web... It looks like a walking spider.

Ah, and the size is about the same as the Black Widow but I saw one already that was bigger than a Black Widow (I collected both of them and watching them the Black Widow just had the additional red hourglass and a much more round shaped abdomen and was a little smaller - the body at least-).

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 09:44 PM

12,244 posts, read 15,957,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRenard View Post
I am new to las Vegas and I hate spiders. Does anyone know about spiders ? I found some in my appartments that look like Black Windows but don't have the red hourglass or dots.
Spiders that look like Black Windows???? It must be some deformity caused by the atom bomb testing that went on in the desert!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:59 PM

15,758 posts, read 19,205,794 times
There are a number of spiders around Vegas that are black or dark and the size or bigger than a black widow. You may be able to get them identified at the Springs Preserve. Some of their master gardners know all the bugs. Other than that the extension service.

Why do you care? They don't bother you and eat bugs. You generally do not find black widows anywhere easily observed. They hide in dark places with water.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:59 PM

13 posts, read 18,540 times
Keep in mind you have to look on the underside to see the telltale hourglass. All black Widows have this*. Only some (a sub-species called the Western Widow, or the Redback Spider if you're in Australia) have a red mark on top.

There is another black spider here of roughly the same size and shape as the Black Widow. I don't know what it is. To my eye, it looks more of a dark gray compared to the truer black of the Black Widow. It has no hourglass. It's web is different, too, a bit like that of a Wolf Spider.

If you come across a web that is messy and disorganized, very strong for a spider web, and near some little hidey hole, there's an excellent chance it's a Black Widow. You can hit that hidey hole with a spurt of bug spray and wait maybe 30 seconds to find out. Or else wait until dark.

* Immature Black Widows have the hourglass but it's not yet turned red. The spiders are almost white when hatched, and remain so until nearly adult. When it reaches adulthood, the white spider gets either black lines or checkerboarding, that steadily grows until the entire spider is black. Around this time the hourglass changes from tan to red. At least, that's true for the females.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:40 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,689,625 times
Unless you bother them, they will leave you alone! And Olecapt is right, they are actually good for you, because they eat the other insects. But I understand how you feel, I hate them just looking at me!!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:12 PM

Thanks to everyone for the kind explanations. I'll collect one and get it to the Spring Reserves like suggested. The problem is not that they bother me, but I found one in my trousers one morning and I am so afraid to find one in my bed during the night, specially if it's a Black Window "lost" in the appartment. Because I found 2 real Black Widows already. One on my patio with the strange web you described and one was on the wall above my front door. The one on the patio had red hourglass and the one on the wall had light orange hourglass. So now, I know that all the rest found inside the appartment with no hourglass are not Black Window even if they look like cousins
Thanks to all !

Old 01-26-2008, 01:01 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,689,625 times
You live in an apartment? If so get your apartment complex to treat for you. They need to treat the web. Spiders are different then most insects because they do not clean themselves as much as regular insects. If they treat the webs, that is where they live mostly plus where they take their food, so they are more likely to ingest the chemical much faster!!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:22 AM

560 posts, read 1,439,225 times
Except for the black color, what you are describing sounds like a wolf spider to me. There are plenty of those around here also and even though they are scary to look at they are completely harmless. I agree with another poster, if you are in an apartment and are seeing this many spiders then you need to get them to spray for you.

I don't usually mind spiders as long as they are OUTSIDE. I do have an aversion to Black Widows as I suffered a rather nasty bite from one last year. We did find quite a few on our outside wall when it started cooling down and we immediately called the exterminator. I don't care how many insects they may eat, I don't want them anywhere near my dogs or children!!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:39 AM

12,244 posts, read 15,957,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
I don't care how many insects they may eat, I don't want them anywhere near my dogs or children!!
Yes...and keep those kids and pets away from the Black Windows, too...especially if they are broken!

Old 01-26-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Yes...and keep those kids and pets away from the Black Windows, too...especially if they are broken!
"Windows", "Widow", I know I am so used to type the name of that bug we call "Operating System" that I can't control my fingers on the keyboard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas