Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times

Advertisements

Lotus of Siam, what do you like to order?

My wife said she'd like to try some Thai food. We don't like (chili pepper) hot, so hopefully you can specify mild, medium, etc.

Please post your experiences to include busiest times / avoiding standing in line, etc. I've turned in to that area a couple times and iirc parking is a breeze.

Quite a website. No prices. Are they reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 09:56 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
1) You can order every dish on a hot scale of 1-10. They will tell you about this when you order. If you specify "1," there won't be any chile at all. I think that defeats the purpose. But if you don't like pepper, you don't like pepper.

2) Lotus is essentially two Thai restaurants:

a) A typical pad thai and tom yum joint, albeit with a better wine list.
b) One of the only places outside of Northern Thailand where you can find authentic Northern Thai cuisine.

3) It's always busy. Particularly on weekends. Expect to do some waiting no matter what, even with reservations.

People don't realize just how many Thais work in fine-dining kitchens. Everyone knows Latinos are in the kitchens. But they haven't figured out that "fine French food" is just as likely to be made by someone originally from Bangkok as it is by someone from Jalisco.

I have worked with many, many Thais over the years. Cooks and chefs. They all LOVE Lotus -- but only the last two pages of the menu -- the northern thai dishes and house specialties. The rest of the menu is for the tourists. If you're going for pad thai or tom yum, you can find good examples all over town, without any waiting and for less money.

Foodies go to Lotus because Lotus serves obscure dishes that cannot be had anywhere else in this hemisphere.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:58 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
I was underwhelmed with the meat dip or whatever that dish was that was featured on TV with Ming Tsai. It wasn't that good. Think it's called "Nam-Prik-Ong". Everyone orders it because it was on TV.

We had a fish dish there that was exceptional. All I remember is that it was slices of fillet, deep fried. It was probably one of these:

CATFISH with CURRY PASTE
Deep fried thin catfish slices (deboned) sautéed with red curry paste, Kra-chai, fresh & dry chilis thai eggplant, green bean.

SPICY CATFISH with BASIL LEAVES
Sautéed, deep fried thin catfish slices (deboned), in fresh and dried chilis and Thai basil leaves, bell peppers.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:09 AM

661 posts, read 631,668 times
The crispy duck khao soi noodles and garlic prawns are my two favorite dishes at LOS. Go just as they open for lunch and you won't have a wait.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:15 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
Make reservations. They get in first. Go when they open for dinner. Order from the Northern Thailand menu. Enjoy!

Old 08-18-2015, 12:04 PM

638 posts, read 594,248 times
I find lotus has steadily declined (particularly since the refurbishment) and prices have steadily crept up.

Thankfully there is a remedy for this, Bank Atcharawan left lotus and set up his own place, Chada. (3400 S Jones). It's nice, small, very very reasonably priced, and the best Thai I've had in Vegas. (He's also opened up Chada Street, focusing on Thai street food, but I haven't been yet)

Order the Duck Penang, the pad kra pow and the pork chop with garlic mint and chilli.

If you must do lotus and you do want to order from the northern menu, anything that says "Burmese" in the description is a good way forwards. Otherwise I'm always ordering a green papaya salad and something else that slips my mind.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:43 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
1) You can order every dish on a hot scale of 1-10. They will tell you about this when you order.
We'll both get 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnftcret View Post
The crispy duck khao soi noodles and garlic prawns are my two favorite dishes at LOS. Go just as they open for lunch and you won't have a wait.
Those noodles sound good. Lunch on a weekday sounds like a winner - we'll avoid the weekend (dinner only).

Thanks for the input everyone. .....

Old 08-19-2015, 08:11 AM

743 posts, read 968,579 times
avoid the lunch buffet at all cost...I had a better Thai buffet in Miami. Bland and nothing special whatsoever...couldn't believe the reviews based on that buffet. It turned me off to Lotus until I went again 5 years later and ordered off the back menu. Scoop's post is on point regarding what to order. I hear the fried shrimp is amazing, though I have yet to try it.

Go on yelp for reviews and pictures of food before heading there, that's how I navigate this town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas