Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:22 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
sierras have great skiing, no doubt. but they also have LOTS of people (not everywhere, but w/ proximity to cities come the hordes). and it is hard to be UT powder.
I am not a skiier, so I don't know. So the Ski resorts in UT are good because of the power type of snow? I always wondered why the UT licence plates say "ski utah"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 03:29 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,331,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
I am not a skiier, so I don't know. So the Ski resorts in UT are good because of the power type of snow? I always wondered why the UT licence plates say "ski utah"
The snow in Utah and Colorado is dry, and many prefer powder. The hills in Reno-Tahoe are great, but the snow is called Sierra Cement--wet and heavy. For outdoor activities on a daily basis--skiing, cycling, rivers, lakes, the Reno-Tahoe area can't be beat in my estimation.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:32 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,331,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
that is one of the lamer posts you had lately. lets see....i am done w/ work, i need a ride to clear my head...hmmm...yeah, lets hop a plane to dgo WITH my bike. clearly that is an option

and for the record, i have relatives in dgo....used to go there several times a year...would rather mtb out here...less chance of getting run over by a jeep.

(and if you are going to be unrealistic, why not say moab...biking is better there than either places, but hard to get there, and lotsa ppl)

as pertaining to LV....they are both w/in driving distance (BC is about 30min)...you can make brian head after work on friday easily.
Sure---BC is 30 minutes---by helicopter. Nothing more head-clearing after an eight hour day than going home, gearing up, driving ONE HOUR, to ride in the dark. Who do you think you're kidding??

Old 01-27-2008, 08:34 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Where did you find that claim? Now Im starting to sound like olecapt. A quick search yielded me many "best place to live for outdoor activities" but Vegas was never mentioned. Entertainment and night life yes indeed but not outdoor activities.

There are many great things to do outdoors here (in the winter only) but not the very best in the counry.

No matter......to the OP you will do just fine here.
can't remember the magazine's name, but it was outdoor related.
Maybe OUTDOORS ?

Wow, I opened a big can of worms didn't I?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:11 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Wow, I didn't expect this to turn into a raging debate so soon! I want to thank Buzz123 and guinnessjim for their great responses so far. Keep 'em coming. As I've said before, I've already experienced quite a bit of what Las Vegas has to offer in terms of the outdoors, and I'm impressed-- it's one of the reasons I'm interested in moving there. In a way, maybe it's good that Las Vegas isn't really known across the nation as being an outdoors mecca-- less crowds? It's the sheer diversity of activities and landscapes available. I hiked Red Rock Canyon last spring and thought it was a beautiful area, a place I'd like to explore more. Phoenix has nothing to brag about, IMO. They have a bunch of little desert mountain preserves scattered around the city, surrounded by urban sprawl, which can deliver a quick hiking fix, and a couple of man-made lakes within an hour's drive (nothing at the scale of lake Mead) but that's about it. The landscape around Phoenix is very one dimensional. You have to drive a solid 2 hours north to start seeing pine trees. Tucson, OTOH, has some of the most beautiful desert surrounding the city that I've ever seen. Last weekend I hiked Sabino Canyon, which kind of reminds me of Zion but without the redrocks. I'm not sure though if Tucson is that great of a place to live, especially for someone my age.

What I'm really interested in is what the people are like. People here in Phoenix seem to be really biased against Las Vegas for some reason. If your interested, I would recommend reading that thread and let me know what you think. Is what the people on the Phoenix forum were saying about LV just trash talk? I actually know a bunch of people from LV that moved to PHX, but I don't know anybody other than myself who is thinking of moving the other way. And of course, I'm going to do my own thing-- I don't care what everybody else thinks, I'm just trying to make sure I'm seeing the big picture.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:24 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Wow, I didn't expect this to turn into a raging debate so soon! I want to thank Buzz123 and guinnessjim for their great responses so far. Keep 'em coming. As I've said before, I've already experienced quite a bit of what Las Vegas has to offer in terms of the outdoors, and I'm impressed-- it's one of the reasons I'm interested in moving there. In a way, maybe it's good that Las Vegas isn't really known across the nation as being an outdoors mecca-- less crowds? It's the sheer diversity of activities and landscapes available. I hiked Red Rock Canyon last spring and thought it was a beautiful area, a place I'd like to explore more. Phoenix has nothing to brag about, IMO. They have a bunch of little desert mountain preserves scattered around the city, surrounded by urban sprawl, which can deliver a quick hiking fix, and a couple of man-made lakes within an hour's drive (nothing at the scale of lake Mead) but that's about it. The landscape around Phoenix is very one dimensional. You have to drive a solid 2 hours north to start seeing pine trees. Tucson, OTOH, has some of the most beautiful desert surrounding the city that I've ever seen. Last weekend I hiked Sabino Canyon, which kind of reminds me of Zion but without the redrocks. I'm not sure though if Tucson is that great of a place to live, especially for someone my age.

What I'm really interested in is what the people are like. People here in Phoenix seem to be really biased against Las Vegas for some reason. If your interested, I would recommend reading that thread and let me know what you think. Is what the people on the Phoenix forum were saying about LV just trash talk? I actually know a bunch of people from LV that moved to PHX, but I don't know anybody other than myself who is thinking of moving the other way. And of course, I'm going to do my own thing-- I don't care what everybody else thinks, I'm just trying to make sure I'm seeing the big picture.

It seems like a lot of people are very biased towards Las Vegas in almost all the forums that speak about Las Vegas in general. I think it has to do with the Stereotypes and facts about Vegas. It is NOT for everyone and I do not encourage someone to move here to find a better life than what city they are already living in. LAS VEGAS WILL NOT SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS, YOU WILL!. I am from the Bay Area and people on the CA forum say bad things about living there, then there are the ones who defend it.

I say, if you really do your research and get a good job to live comfortably, you should be fine. You can always leave if you don't like it.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:36 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
If it's sheer outdoors activity that you are interested in, you can find a lot of better places to live than Las Vegas, including Reno, Albuquerque, Durango, Moab, Jackson, WY, Colorado Springs, and probably Boise, Idaho. But if you are interested in that, plus overall quality of life, plus sheer (there's that word again) convenience in everyday living, plus location and the ability to get to a ton of very interesting, beautiful, and fun places in a short time, plus being in the most exciting city on earth surrounded by some really world class scenery, you can't beat Las Vegas...unless you are just a negative, sad, depressed, hate filled individual that likes to inflect his venom on others.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:42 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I think that Phoenix, like Reno, and even some in LA, have a lot of jealousy toward Las Vegas. Others who don't know anything about it, and are naturally negative anyway, fall back on the stereotype Las Vegas. And we can't complain because we have always used that stereotype as a marketing tool. But like they say, don't believe the hype. There are probably more misconceptions about Las Vegas than anywhere else except maybe New York City. If Las Vegas wasn't such a great place to live would over 1½ million people have fallen all over themselves to move here in just 20 years?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:46 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
I will admit that I am not a fat-tire guy, but to say that YOU ride in Boulder City area after work is very hard to believe. Or do you pedal out your front door downtown for a nice quality ride? I have travelled the USA extensively, and THECesspool is amongst the WORST for road biking and skiing---PERIOD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Sure---BC is 30 minutes---by helicopter. Nothing more head-clearing after an eight hour day than going home, gearing up, driving ONE HOUR, to ride in the dark. Who do you think you're kidding??
i knew i would wake up to more garbage...but i am always astounded at the level of it. why is it hard to believe that I ride the BC area? you trying to slam me or just illustrating that for all your talk, you don't really know the area? from: 89104 to: Bootleg Canyon @35.998799,-114.868584 - Google Maps you must have an awfully slow helicopter.

thanks for the mtb trail link, let me provide one of my own: IMBA Epics (http://www.imba.com/epics/index.html - broken link) IMBA Epics: The Rides: Bootleg Canyon Epic, Boulder City, Nevada to say that the biking out here is terrible is ludicris (i know in your above post you specified road biking....but you made a point of trying to slam LV mtb earlier).

as for skiing...never skied charleston so i can't comment on it. but it has to be better than skiing in IA or NE or IL or WI simply from the stand point that it is a MOUNTAIN, not a man-made hill. and again, our proximity here to sking in UT or even soCal gives us a location advantage over many places. (i can give a a map of that too if you like....)

Old 01-27-2008, 11:46 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post

sorry for my part in the raging, sometimes i can't help responding to posts based solely on negative opinions...and, well, look at the times of the posts: i'd had a few drinks (incl. a healthy dose of scotch) at the social D show. why point this out? because it illustrates exactly what Buzz stated re: why the outdoor life here is so good...its relative proximity to a (IMO) vibrant, fun city and it's nightlife. if it wasn't raining today i would be up hiking...but oh well. rain is good and it means more snow in the mts.

as i said earlier, i don't really know PHX, so for me to comment on differences would be uniformed from my part. but as for biases against LV, you'll find biases against everything if you look for them (i still get a kick outta people from NE claiming their state's superiority over IA and vice versa). when i was living in LA and only visiting here i had my own bias against it...too hot, too many tourists, nice place to visit, etc. it was only when i visited as a prospective resident (not a tourist) that i found the things that i really like here. you have a great advantage in that you have already done non-strip based things here, and from the sound of it you enjoyed it.

i stand by what i said earlier...you gotta do what is right for you based on your own experiences and research (sounds like you will). and, your attitude will be what keeps you happy...you got to be willing to have the fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas