U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:53 AM

818 posts, read 2,598,405 times
People who accept government assistance aren't necessarily bad people. The poster who is trying to make this correlation automatically is most likely speaking from ignorance. There are plenty of hardworking good people who could use a little help keeping their rent down. By moving there yourself and being a good neighbor, you are doing your part to fight these types of generalizations and stereotypes.

Las Vegas is too full of people who think that there are two types of people: Poor people who are sad disgusting criminals and then everyone else who are to live in fear and disgust of them. By thinking this way, you only magnify your fear of this 'boogeyman' and make it out to be scarier than it really is. Of course there's crime, and you should do a little due diligence before choosing where you live, but I think you've done that. I hope it goes well for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 06:36 PM

2,404 posts, read 7,361,411 times
89123 may have a higher instance of car theft because its so close to I-15...also 89123 covers a very large area and of course, every apt. complex has shady people

Old 01-29-2008, 07:52 AM

113 posts, read 258,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
There is a Section 8 tract. And you really like it. Do you see something wrong with this? I dont know you but I will tell you that your life is much too precious to exist in fear in one of those disgusting places. They are not safe.
If you have a Section 8 Voucher, you can live in any apartment complex you want (assuming the landlord accepts you), not just the Villanova.

Just because you don't live in a Section 8 property doesn't mean your neighbors aren't using a Sec. 8 voucher to live there.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 AM

12,252 posts, read 16,617,574 times
Just curious....how does one qualify for a section 8 voucher? What is the criteria?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:53 AM

15,757 posts, read 20,291,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Just curious....how does one qualify for a section 8 voucher? What is the criteria?

Primarily income. Some other good character things. Generally a looonnng waiting list. Section 8 is actually reasonably common. The real block is that the don't go over 900 a month (IIRC)

Old 01-29-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Primarily income. Some other good character things. Generally a looonnng waiting list. Section 8 is actually reasonably common. The real block is that the don't go over 900 a month (IIRC)
In my case, I qualify to live on the Villanova property, but I don't get them to pay 80% of the rent. Instead I get a discounted rent "fair market value" which is about $713 for 2bd 2bath. I don't know how much the government subsidizes in addition to the $713 I'm paying.

I presume it is much more difficult to get an actual sec. 8 voucher. There are long waiting lists, but once you get your voucher, you can live anywhere, paying only a fraction of the normal rent.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:40 PM

12 posts, read 29,023 times
Default They must not do very good background checks

We have lived in our neighborhood in the Summerlin area for 14 years now and there are quite a few section 8 homes here. We recently received a postcard from the police department, saying there was a convicted sex offender living a few blocks from our house. We found out it was a section 8 house and I wrote them a not-so-nice letter asking them how they could possibly let someone like that rent from them. I also sent a letter to our counsel woman Lois Tarkanian and have not received anything in return from either one. This, as far as I'm concerned is an outrage. That house is located across the street from a middle school bus stop and blocks away from the High School and the Elementary school. Children are walking past constantly. They obviously did not care to do a background check on this man.
All I want to say is be careful and do your homework.
I have to be honest in saying I would steer clear of those places. I know there are people that are good and just trying to better themselves and need assistance, but most of the section 8 people are unemployed dirt bags looking for a handout.

Last edited by 17yrsinlv; 01-29-2008 at 09:58 PM..

Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 PM

15,757 posts, read 20,291,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17yrsinlv View Post
We have lived in our neighborhood in the Summerlin area for 14 years now and there are quite a few section 8 homes here. We recently received a postcard from the police department, saying there was a convicted sex offender living a few blocks from our house. We found out it was a section 8 house and I wrote them a not-so-nice letter asking them how they could possibly let someone like that rent from them. I also sent a letter to our counsel woman Lois Tarkanian and have not received anything in return from either one. This, as far as I'm concerned is an outrage. That house is located across the street from a middle school bus stop and blocks away from the High School and the Elementary school. Children are walking past constantly. They obviously did not care to do a background check on this man.
All I want to say is be careful and do your homework.
I have to be honest in saying I would steer clear of those places. I know there are people that are good and just trying to better themselves and need assistance, but most of the section 8 people are unemployed dirt bags looking for a handout.
Your point being that you only want rich sex offenders in your neighborhood? If the guy can afford to buy a $350K place next to you it would be OK?

Old 01-30-2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17yrsinlv View Post
but most of the section 8 people are unemployed dirt bags looking for a handout.
I haven't decided where I'm going to live yet. This thread has been very helpful. I'll probably try to avoid the Sect. 8 complex. The problem is, every other apartment complex seems to have the same issues.

It sounds like there is a lot of paperwork & inspections involved when living in a Sect. 8

It might be worth paying an extra couple hundred in rent just to avoid the issue altogether.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:10 AM

541 posts, read 1,217,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Your point being that you only want rich sex offenders in your neighborhood? If the guy can afford to buy a $350K place next to you it would be OK?
ha ha ha That's EXACTLY what it sounds like to me. Only rich sex offenders are welcome... not the poor dirtbag ones!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas