Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 04:24 PM

561 posts, read 680,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
There is no single place in the valley where Black Mountain, Mount Arden and Mount Potosi can all be seen at these bearings. Even if you exclude Mount Potosi, there are places at which Black Mountain and Mount Arden are in exactly the same direction, and other places where they are in opposite directions.
He said he lived in the 89148 zip code. Punching that into Antennaweb.com, you have a total of 52 channels that can be reached, on 27 stations. From the middle of 89148, all but 5 (wrongly identified as 4 in my previous past) are on Black Mountain (16 miles away at 102 degrees) or Mr. Arden (16 miles away at 120 degrees). I stand by my third point that unless he really, really, really wants to pull in the 5, in addition to the 47 others, he doesn't need an omnidirectional. But my bearings were based on "that part of town." Obviously, if you live at Frenchman Mountain, pointing an antenna at 102 isn't going to do you a whole lot of good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 06:21 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
He said he lived in the 89148 zip code. Punching that into Antennaweb.com, you have a total of 52 channels that can be reached, on 27 stations. From the middle of 89148, all but 5 (wrongly identified as 4 in my previous past) are on Black Mountain (16 miles away at 102 degrees) or Mr. Arden (16 miles away at 120 degrees). I stand by my third point that unless he really, really, really wants to pull in the 5, in addition to the 47 others, he doesn't need an omnidirectional. But my bearings were based on "that part of town." Obviously, if you live at Frenchman Mountain, pointing an antenna at 102 isn't going to do you a whole lot of good.
My mistake. I misread your post. I do think that there is one LV station on Mt. Potosi though.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:46 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
My mistake. I misread your post. I do think that there is one LV station on Mt. Potosi though.
As I stated earlier, I'm getting 40+ stations from Potosi. I get the major stations except Fox

Old 09-04-2015, 07:53 PM

625 posts, read 796,736 times
Thanks for the responses. Im definitely taking back the inside antenna from Target. I think outside would be the way to go, because our tv is nowhere near a window, probably blocked by a lot of things, and i dont feel like buying long cords to stretch to a window or mount up on the wall somewhere and still be stuck not getting what I want.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:38 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
As I stated earlier, I'm getting 40+ stations from Potosi. I get the major stations except Fox
Most of those are Pahrump channels from 4 or 5 stations.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:54 AM

625 posts, read 796,736 times
Found a simple solution to the antenna. Called to cancel cable from COX. Internet by itself @50MBPS would be $72 dollars. Rep said if I keep local channels/my internet, the bundle comes out to $65. Honestly thats a great deal.

Saves trouble of figuring out a way on my roof to install an antenna without a ladder and tools I yet to own.

EDIT: Not sure if I am supposed to, but it pulls stuff like TBS, TLC, ESPN, CNN etc. Just not in HD. If it holds, I would recommend this package to anyone looking to cut back.

Last edited by Bps401; 10-03-2015 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-03-2015, 11:17 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Same thing happened to me. I can get nothing worth watching and nothing network. I get some really odd Spanish Indie type channels broadcasting from California. Local...nothing.

They should not have quit analog broadcasting till people could receive the channels digitally!

Old 10-03-2015, 01:57 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,721,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
Found a simple solution to the antenna. Called to cancel cable from COX. Internet by itself @50MBPS would be $72 dollars. Rep said if I keep local channels/my internet, the bundle comes out to $65. Honestly thats a great deal.

Saves trouble of figuring out a way on my roof to install an antenna without a ladder and tools I yet to own.

EDIT: Not sure if I am supposed to, but it pulls stuff like TBS, TLC, ESPN, CNN etc. Just not in HD. If it holds, I would recommend this package to anyone looking to cut back.

They offered me the same deal when I cut off the tv portion last month. I used to be able to ESPN CNN ect through the QAM tuner but now I noticed Cox installed a filter in the last couple of weeks. Now the only extra cable channel I get is WTBS. If you need to go back to an antenna. These two indoor antennas work stellar with the reception in the valley http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-U...rds=TV+Antenna

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-U...rds=TV+Antenna

Old 10-03-2015, 02:05 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
Thanks for the responses. Im definitely taking back the inside antenna from Target. I think outside would be the way to go, because our tv is nowhere near a window, probably blocked by a lot of things, and i dont feel like buying long cords to stretch to a window or mount up on the wall somewhere and still be stuck not getting what I want.
It's got to be the indoor antenna -- or perhaps your location.

I have an ideal setup for over-the-air -- a direct line-of-sight to Black Mountain for my antenna and convenient coax jacks near the balcony where I installed the antenna.

I picked up 40+ channels on my first attempt.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It's got to be the indoor antenna -- or perhaps your location.

I have an ideal setup for over-the-air -- a direct line-of-sight to Black Mountain for my antenna and convenient coax jacks near the balcony where I installed the antenna.

I picked up 40+ channels on my first attempt.
Cool. I have no doubt you will optimize your set up. to get every station possible.

Has anyone tried the new video streaming service called go90? I was just reading about it in a newspaper. Ad supported but free. Crackle is free and there is a free version of Hulu

Last edited by skugelstadt; 10-03-2015 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas