Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:14 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,895,120 times

Advertisements

I have a Chilean Mesquite tree in my back yard. It grows rapidly and I want to use it for cooking meat on a grill. Have you folks done this? It seems a shame to throw away the tree trimmings, though I do burn some of it in my backyard fire pit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 01:29 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,219,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
I have a Chilean Mesquite tree in my back yard. It grows rapidly and I want to use it for cooking meat on a grill. Have you folks done this? It seems a shame to throw away the tree trimmings, though I do burn some of it in my backyard fire pit.
Why not? Mesquite is the best for smoking meat.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:25 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,821,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Why not? Mesquite is the best for smoking meat.
As with most things, you're wrong. If I could only use one wood for smoking, my last choice would be mesquite. It's way too potent, and based on posts in BBQ forums I follow, I'd say at 80% or more of posters also find it too strong when used by itself. Those that use it almost always use it in small doses along with a larger quantity of something much milder, like fruit tree woods (apple, cherry, peach).

Using mesquite for grilling is a different story, but smoking (bbq) and grilling are two different things.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:04 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,780,482 times
you can buy a smoking box for your grill or use a homemade foil pouch...

keep in mind, the smoke flavor will only be noticeable for things that take at least some hours to cook.... so a steak done in under 10 mins, won't have time to absorb any smoke

i feel like hickory is the strongest, but to each their own, it all comes down to personal taste... you can definitely oversmoke, even with the light-flavored woods

Old 09-03-2015, 07:13 AM

I have cooked with Hickory and Mesquite but not specifically Chilean Mesquite. The wood chips that I used were from .99 cent stores. I actually like the stronger smoke flavoring from these two woods for chicken and turkey. I cook indirectly on a big Weber grill.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:14 AM

698 posts, read 980,002 times
Quote:
I assume you're asking about the process of using the wood vs. my opinion on mesquite, right?

I have several BBQ buddies who do this with trees in their yards (apple, cherry) and you will want to dry it. I think 20% ish is the ideal moisture spot but I could be wrong. You would not want to use "green wood".

As far as cooking meat with smoke, I've done a lot of it, thus my handle on this forum.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:23 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,920,499 times
I thought you choose the handle because you're Asian.

Add me to the list of people who will grill with mesquite (and hickory, if that's all I can find) but won't smoke with it. Mesquite will put SOME smoke flavor onto meat in a big, big hurry. But once the smoke builds up, whatever you're cooking starts to taste like a burning tire.

One of the advantages to having nothing but fruit trees in the yard is that I can save all the trim and smoke with it.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 09-03-2015 at 10:33 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 11:07 AM

I add a couple of handful of wet chips on top of charcoal when cooking a whole turkey. I have tried fruit wood in the past but the flavor was very subtle. I have not found anything on the internet about Chilean Mesquite specifically. I guess I can experiment with a chicken leg and see what happens.
Scoop, did you build your smoker? I've found my old fashioned Weber is pretty versatile

Old 09-03-2015, 11:15 AM

698 posts, read 980,002 times
Quote:
Scoop, did you build your smoker? I've found my old fashioned Weber is pretty versatile
Which Weber do you use?

Old 09-03-2015, 11:20 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,920,499 times
Quote:
I add a couple of handful of wet chips on top of charcoal when cooking a whole turkey. I have tried fruit wood in the past but the flavor was very subtle. I have not found anything on the internet about Chilean Mesquite specifically. I guess I can experiment with a chicken leg and see what happens.
Nope. I'm still waiting to either find a deal on a Fast Eddy's (or similar), or learn to weld to the point where I can make one myself.

The problem is that it's a giant learning curve for just one piece of equipment.

It's a chore doing real barbecue using a sheet-steel "smoker" -- as I'm sure you can sympathize with your Weber. Temperature control is a pain. And if you're not watching the rig like a hawk, the temp will fall to the point of being ineffective (bad) or rise to the point it scorches the meat (even worse).

The el cheapo pellet smokers are a step up, but they still have the temperature control issues. My next smoker is going to be suitable for competition or I'm not going to bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: