U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:50 PM

78 posts, read 685,814 times

Advertisements

I'm from the south but lived in LV for three years. Just wondering if LV is REALLY into the high school/ youth sports like we are in the south? (not just soccer either, but football and baseball). I get the feeling there's not the competition and excitement centered around that sort of thing in LV. Am I wrong??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 01:03 AM

15,756 posts, read 20,841,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldunn1001 View Post
I'm from the south but lived in LV for three years. Just wondering if LV is REALLY into the high school/ youth sports like we are in the south? (not just soccer either, but football and baseball). I get the feeling there's not the competition and excitement centered around that sort of thing in LV. Am I wrong??
In the west there is considerable interest in High School sports. In the south and midwest the interest can get to levels of insanity. It does not generally get that hot in the west.

I am unsure as to whether that is good or bad.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:04 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,874,510 times
For the most part, high school sports don't draw much attention. Occasionally people will check out homecoming football games, but that's about it.

UNLV basketball is big, though.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 AM

560 posts, read 1,504,313 times
I am from the midwest and moved here to Las Vegas a year and a half ago. I agree with Olecapt... people here do enjoy highschool sports but it is not at the insane level that the south and midwest can get to. Our entire family used to go to the Friday night highschool football game and not one of us even still went to the school. It is a lot of fun but in all honesty there wasn't a lot of other things to do My daughter starts highschool next year and is going to Gorman. She hopes to make the soccer and basketball teams and most likely, whether or not she makes either or both we will be in the stands cheering them on. I love highschool sports but out here I have learned to "tone it down" a bit. All 3 of my children play sports and we are always at some type of game. We have basketball play offs this week as well as a couple soccer games thrown in for good measure.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 PM

15,379 posts, read 23,036,081 times
my g'son played Basketball, Football and wrestling and we were totally amazed at how few people showed up for the games.....

I grew up in a town of 1600 people and we had more people for every game then they do here.....

Gorman was the exception....but that's to be expected since they have the best team money can buy

Old 02-01-2008, 05:16 PM

Thanks guys. I thought it was just my imagination maybe that the level of interest wasn't as high. See, that's important to me b/c I want my children to grow up feeling proud of their school and being able to participate and enjoy (in a good way) the competition of "Friday Night" games. I agree with you 5 Kings, I could still get into the games even though I graduated like 25 years ago...lol. Oh well, guess we ain't in Kansas anymore, Toto. :-)

Old 02-02-2008, 09:00 AM

560 posts, read 1,504,313 times
We just had the best time last night at the basketball finals for the Catholic Schools League. My oldest daughter played and the finals are always held at Bishop Gorman. The game went into overtime and we ended up winning. It was so much fun and the stands were pretty well full which is pretty good considering Gorman's gym is huge. It is probably the best time I have had at a sporting event since we moved here. They have had some pretty exciting soccer games but they didn't compare to this.

Last edited by 5kingsinvegas; 02-02-2008 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: spelling error..ooops

Old 02-02-2008, 05:00 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,874,510 times
Well, kids and parents DO get excited about their own school. Football games are usually packed with cheering students.

It's just that most people here don't have kids in high school, so it's not relevant to everyone. That's living in a city, I guess.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:26 PM

You may be right Radraja. I know there are alot of kids in schools there but maybe the majority of the LV population is single adults or retirees (not sure). Either way, that could explain the low level of interest. People are more interested in gambling I suppose.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:22 AM

15,379 posts, read 23,036,081 times
lets advertise a little shall we??????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas