Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 06:42 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,833,823 times

Advertisements

Just flew out of McCarran on Southwest this afternoon, and I did what I usually do, go to the second level and go through the C gate security checkpoint to the far right of the D gates.

They've made a change (within the last three weeks, because it wasn't there last time I flew out) which makes access to the C gates much worse. What was the C gate line is now the TSA Pre line. There is a separate line for C gates, which like the old line is usually pretty short, but now you get thrown in with the D gate passengers after your boarding pass has been checked. Since they allow these lines to get very long, it now takes much longer to get through security.

Having premium status with an airline doesn't seem to help since it's the wait after the boarding pass check that is lengthy, and they don't have a separate security line, or let you cut into line. Still, it was only about 15 minutes to get through security. I usually try to travel at the least busy times of the day though, so I usually get through in five minutes or less.

I guess this was the motivation I needed to stop procrastinating and apply for TSA Pre. Either that, or go through the security line on level 1 where premium status might get you through quicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 06:58 PM

901 posts, read 1,892,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I guess this was the motivation I needed to stop procrastinating and apply for TSA Pre.
I highly recommend spending an extra $15 and apply for Global Entry instead. Global Entry allows you to breeze through Customs and Immigration at US entry check points. An additional benefit of the program is that you'll receive TSA Pre Check.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-tr...entry/benefits

The application process is a bit longer, but it's well worth it, even if you only use it once.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
I highly recommend spending an extra $15 and apply for Global Entry instead. Global Entry allows you to breeze through Customs and Immigration at US entry check points. An additional benefit of the program is that you'll receive TSA Pre Check.

The application process is a bit longer, but it's well worth it, even if you only use it once.
I had read about that, but I thought to apply, you had to already have an international trip planned. Now that I reread the article, I see the author did not write that. I'll look into it again, as I have read that same advice on other frequent traveler sites.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:08 AM

6,369 posts, read 11,822,634 times
Probably trying to encourage you to use the C gate entry on the other side by Southwest counters don't you think?

Old 09-18-2015, 01:59 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,724,946 times
Quote:
I had read about that, but I thought to apply, you had to already have an international trip planned. Now that I reread the article, I see the author did not write that. I'll look into it again, as I have read that same advice on other frequent traveler sites.
Also check your credit card benefits especially if you have a travel related card, some will reimburse you for the Global Entry application fee. Another thing to consider is if you travel near the Canadian border you may want to sign up for the Nexus program which is half the cost of the Global entry program and also gives you Global Entry and TSA Pre benefits but the processing centers are all near the Canadian border.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post

I was just notified that I'm conditionally approved and can go schedule the interview for Global Entry.

The reason for posting this is that when I checked the schedule at McCarran, the earliest appointment available was December 7th. Since I expect to be back in CA by then, I checked the schedule for the SFO location. Earliest appointment available was mid-FEBRUARY!!! Las Vegas must have one of the shortest waiting times to get an appointment for the required interview. I expect to be back in Las Vegas right after Xmas, so I think I will get it done here, rather than wait three months for an appointment at SFO.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:21 PM

810 posts, read 846,280 times
probably wont help me to apply unless it is a quick turn around.

The last time I flew from Vegas going back home i did the pre- TSA. They asked me step into that line which was basically 3 other people. I moved quickly and was through the check in in only a few minutes. Maybe they were starting it new back then.

I don't know much about it is it at all larger airports? I don't fly very often so may not really be worth it and I am usually at the airport 1 1/2 hours early. I do not remember seeing it at PDX. I also try to fly either very early or later in the evening which is what I am doing when I come to Vegas in a couple weeks.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:28 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,935,275 times
I'm in the Cayman Islands right now... we just got here and used our brand new Global Entry Pass today (actually TSA Pre-check which you get with it) and it was a breeze. No taking off shoes, no taking laptop out of bag.... but most of all: NO LINES!

Best thing ever.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:36 PM

901 posts, read 1,892,926 times
Quote:
I was just notified that I'm conditionally approved and can go schedule the interview for Global Entry.

The reason for posting this is that when I checked the schedule at McCarran, the earliest appointment available was December 7th. Since I expect to be back in CA by then, I checked the schedule for the SFO location. Earliest appointment available was mid-FEBRUARY!!! Las Vegas must have one of the shortest waiting times to get an appointment for the required interview. I expect to be back in Las Vegas right after Xmas, so I think I will get it done here, rather than wait three months for an appointment at SFO.
I experienced something similar. I was able to move my interview date up several weeks by checking the website frequently. My original date at McCarran was about 6 weeks out, but I eventually got it done about a week after conditional approval. People cancel/reschedule all the time, so you might get lucky like I did. FWIW, I remember Tuscon and Albuquerque often had same day appointments available had I been able to go. Here's another forum that might give you some tips: Trusted Travelers - FlyerTalk Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas