Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 08:57 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times

Advertisements

I know it's been explained before that school funding is wired into the state constitution. Changing the figurehead isn't going to do a damned thing for the ship.

Splitting CCSD into more districts will only mean that we'll be paying even more unnecessary administrators and there will be less for classrooms, supplies and teachers. Our school system simply cannot function without a Deputy Director of School Bus Driver Training. And also an Assistant Deputy Director of School Bus Driver Training. And then of course the Head Bus Driver Trainer and his subordinates.

If you think CCSD is top heavy now, wait until we have half a dozen little CCSDs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 09:11 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
I wonder if the same people pushing for this are the same people who are all about shrinking the government?

Old 10-15-2015, 11:25 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML157 View Post
poor inner city kids; teachers don't want to teach them, parents don't want to parent them, society doesn't want them.... after years and years of neglect they eventually end up being too far gone.
Inner city school teachers are the hardest, most dedicated teachers in the district. Most parents do want to be good parents, but may not have the skills, or support, etc.

Society doesn't want them? Are you talking about yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I know it's been explained before that school funding is wired into the state constitution. Changing the figurehead isn't going to do a damned thing for the ship.

Splitting CCSD into more districts will only mean that we'll be paying even more unnecessary administrators and there will be less for classrooms, supplies and teachers. Our school system simply cannot function without a Deputy Director of School Bus Driver Training. And also an Assistant Deputy Director of School Bus Driver Training. And then of course the Head Bus Driver Trainer and his subordinates.

If you think CCSD is top heavy now, wait until we have half a dozen little CCSDs.
It could go that way, but it doesn't have to (it probably will, though). Most districts are small and they seem to figure it out without consolidating. The power players are not going to give away what they have, so more than likely, it will not save money as it could if done properly.

I think it should be required that any superintendent should have to live in the district they oversee.

Gotta love how they call them "precincts". Sounds like jail.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:59 PM

927 posts, read 883,306 times
I figured I would bump the most recent thread on this rather than start a new thread.

There has been town hall meetings the past few days on reorganization. Has anyone gone? The last one is tomorrow in Winchester and I'm going.

Preliminary reorganization was approved. They'll vote on the reorganization plan at the end of the month.

I assume there will be new boundaries created since current boundaries are cut by the proposed precincts. That will be interesting. Here's a map of how they currently align.

Last edited by 08grad; 08-10-2016 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: added map

Old 08-11-2016, 03:16 AM

In case anyone was wondering, the Town Hall was disappointing. The arguments by the trustees were largely "what we're doing clearly isn't working, so we need to try something else".

Vague statements were thrown around with no detail. The best I could get out of their plan was that they're going to make a school committee for each school consisting of parents/teachers/administration will meet (something like bi-weekly) decide budget items.

I've been at sites that have that - it's terrible. If I want something for my classroom, I have to fill out a form in detail about what I want, how much it costs, write a convincing letter to the committee to approve my cause, then wait for the next meeting, hoping it's approved. When I was at a site that didn't have this, I simply went to my principal and said "Hey, I want this" and I would get it within 2 days.

Assuming this is the plan, why do we need to split up into precincts and spend millions to do this? I'm not seeing the connection. Also, WE DON'T HAVE MONEY. Creating committees at each school site to determine how we should spend the money we don't have and hiring dozens of worthless administrators to oversee this, isn't going to fix our schools.

By the way, if the problem is "our schools are terrible and we need to fix it", then please state what makes them terrible. Because they rank low? Guess what, virtually ranking is done based off of standardized test scores in Mathematics and English. So I ask you:

Has the district adopted proven curriculum to improve student understanding aligned with the common core tests? (No)
Are we providing enough tutoring services after school to at-risk students in these subjects? (No)
Is each classroom equipped with technology that will enhance their learning? (No)
Do we have quality teachers in these subject areas? (No)

Those are the root issues and belief that breaking up into precincts is the catalyst to fixing those problems is a ridiculously long reach.

Then the speakers came. Everyone who voiced their opinion wanted something. There was a African American parent said "If we allocate 5% to EL students, why aren't we allocating 5% to black students? Both are struggling student populations." Yup, lets just give people money because of their skin color. That's not racist at all. /s

A Hispanic man came up and ridiculed the trustees for being white when 35% of the student population was Spanish speaking, demanding more Hispanic representation. So, are they incompetent at what they're doing, because they're white?

There were dozens of incredibly entitled support staff employees who complained about not getting a raise in 8 years, and allegedly were told their jobs were being outsourced and that was connected to the reorganization plan. WHAT? This literally has nothing to do with the purpose of this meeting.

I was amazed at this point by how many people who spend little to no time educating students believe their role is vital to their school community. You would think after this meeting that a school couldn't stay afloat without an Equity and Diversity Education Department.

The last straw was the male teacher from Silverado HS who came up wearing a tank top and short shorts that definitely wouldn't pass his school's dress code. I'm done.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:14 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
^^ I'm sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, I've heard it from all of my friends who either work or worked for CCSD.

My kids also attended CCSD schools and I was frustrated, as were my kids and their teachers at times. I feel your pain.

Try to hang in there. Sounds like you are one of the good ones and CCSD needs as many of those as possible.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:35 AM

625 posts, read 797,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Vague statements were thrown around with no detail. The best I could get out of their plan was that they're going to make a school committee for each school consisting of parents/teachers/administration will meet (something like bi-weekly) decide budget items.
This sounds miserable. I enjoy teaching in CCSD but I am afraid of the changes coming. Especially if I want to change school to a different "precinct" in the future. CCSD is extremely unorganized. I have no faith in this splitting up.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:02 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,875 times
I see this as a blatant attempt to manipulate land/home prices.

Trying to drive even MORE people out of our "worse" areas and out to what would in any other city be call the "burbs"

That fine by me cuz it's good for me as I do not want to move to a name brand ( Summerlin/henderson etc) area.
Let's keep NORTH LAS VEGAS the hell hole it is until I get a house bought then do what you will

Old 08-17-2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
I see this as a blatant attempt to manipulate land/home prices.

Trying to drive even MORE people out of our "worse" areas and out to what would in any other city be call the "burbs"

That fine by me cuz it's good for me as I do not want to move to a name brand ( Summerlin/henderson etc) area.
Let's keep NORTH LAS VEGAS the hell hole it is until I get a house bought then do what you will
From the precinct boundaries I'm looking at, the opposite is true - they're taking wealthy students and re-zoning them into lower performing schools.

Summerlin is a prime example - residents south of Charleston lose their Palo Verde zoning and will likely be re-zoned for Bonanza. It's kind of funny, you have this "white flight" from areas like Bonanza to Summerlin, then the district redraws the lines so kids attend Bonanza. There's no escaping!

Green Valley HS got left out of the SE precinct, they're stuck with LVHS, Chaparral and Del Sol. Silverado missed out too, they're stuck with Clark, Valley, Rancho, and Desert Pines. I'm not sure any of those schools are within 15 minutes of Silverado HS.

Two schools in particular definitely benefit from re-zoning. Cimarron-Memorial loses students that live east of the 95 and will gain students currently zoned for Palo Verde or Centennial. Basic loses students that live off the Boulder highway and will gain students from Foothill or Green Valley.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:39 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Are Cheyenne, Western, Canyon Springs and Mojave going to stay in the same boundaries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas