U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 738 times

Advertisements

I have been renting the house I live in for 6 years. In my lease it states that I have to pay the first $100 to fix things. I have done this. I have had my carpets cleaned about every 6 to 8 months. The painted walls are getting dirty and I try to clean them as well as I can. I have never been 1 day late to pay rent the whole time I have lived here. I have paid that first$100 on many things that needed to be fixed. I do not have young children that make messes. There are so many things wrong right now I do not know what to do. I want to know if I can have the sink fixed, the back door fixed, the plumbing fixed all at once only having to pay $100 for all of it. The carpet is horrible to the point of it still looking horrible after being cleaned. Is the landlord responsible in any way to change the carpet or have it cleaned by a more expensive cleaning service and how often does a landlord have to paint the walls. My family are the best tenants a landlord can have. Please help me understand my rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 05:21 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,332,576 times
For long term tenants, I attempt to keep them happy within reason. Preparing rental homes and apartment units is costly where I come from. Especially, since I live in Vegas most of the year, I'm not around to do the work myself anymore.

You have been paying the mortgage for some 6 years for the landlord. Speak to them and work out a resolve.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:11 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,792,417 times
The LL should replace carpet that is worn out and paint walls when they reach that age.

Some LLs won't do what they should.

Practically you deal with a non-responsive LL by moving. You really can't make him fix it. So move. Find a new LL.

You can try and force him into doing it or have it done and sue him for the cost. Neither will turn out happily for you. So move.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:33 PM

6,806 posts, read 3,864,772 times
Unless the sink, back door and plumbing is "broken" due to abuse or improper use, it is the ll's responsibility. Painting and carpet replacement after 6 years is also ll's responsibility; it is called routine maintenance. You are not the owner or this property and you are paying rent! He sounds like he'd try to make you pay for a tile falling off the roof or a crack in the sidewalk!

Old 11-06-2015, 09:01 PM

810 posts, read 597,307 times
I live in an apartment complex same problem my landlord is a greedy corporation. We have lived here for over 9 years! Our rent has never been late we always pay our water sewer garbage bill on time. I have asked many times to have them paint the walls. I don't want them all but some like the kitchen and living room need it. They keep making up excuses. I am so tired the manager is a freaking a-hole. Our carpet needs replaced too but they will not do that while we live here. When we renew our leae we get a free carpet cleaning and yes they do do a great job but we have pets and a kid. They don't stay nice for long not to mention they use the absolute cheapest POS carpeting they can.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:05 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,792,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
I live in an apartment complex same problem my landlord is a greedy corporation. We have lived here for over 9 years! Our rent has never been late we always pay our water sewer garbage bill on time. I have asked many times to have them paint the walls. I don't want them all but some like the kitchen and living room need it. They keep making up excuses. I am so tired the manager is a freaking a-hole. Our carpet needs replaced too but they will not do that while we live here. When we renew our leae we get a free carpet cleaning and yes they do do a great job but we have pets and a kid. They don't stay nice for long not to mention they use the absolute cheapest POS carpeting they can.
Again...move. It is the ultimate tool of the tenant. If not treated right move.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:23 AM

17,643 posts, read 36,124,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Again...move. It is the ultimate tool of the tenant. If not treated right move.

And take good pictures, video, etc. of everything before you move, just in case he tries to pin things on you.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:29 AM

2,376 posts, read 3,969,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post

Property managers give zero ##### these days. They would rather get a new tenant and get the security deposit on their books than work with you the faithful long term tenant.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:32 AM

2,621 posts, read 2,708,516 times
.........and we have low life investors ruining other people's lives both tenants and homeowners.
I have to deal with low life tenants above my unit. It does not matter how kind and accepting I am to these people living above my unit. I own and the one above mine is investor owned. Trashy people one after the other, currently the new tenant above my unit, I helped her move carry heavy stuff for her to be neighborly, for the most part she is nice but the friends she welcome in the unit are just plain trash, spitting, playing loud bass music until the wee hours.....

Once again I'm ready to write an email to the investor owners, Channel 13, management company. I even called police less than a month after these people moved in but kept the police from knocking on her door, to give her the benefit of the doubt. She's on the lease but her friends are not, I'm still trying to be patient and neighborly but I'm ready to tell these people to F%&* 0}}.

Clark County, NV people are trashy NOT all but a great number are just plain losers. My American Dream has turned into a nightmare.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:06 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,247,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post

Clark County, NV people are trashy NOT all but a great number are just plain losers. My American Dream has turned into a nightmare.
This is what I mean when I talk about the signal-to-noise ratio.

And even if you sell your place and move, those people will be all around you all the time. You can move behind a gate and put up security cameras. But they're still going to be on the roads, in the shops, and pestering you for change at the stop lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or