Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:56 PM

553 posts, read 1,208,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
All of which revolve around video-poker, alcoholism, and nicotine addiction. I have yet to find a proper pub in this hellhole. I doubt I will. First we'd need a decent clientele.
Different strokes for different folks. I have friends who live out your way. Their favorite "pub" is in Spring Valley. They also own a business in Spring Valley. But the "pub" is a new attraction for them in the area. It is enough to cause them to want to move from their current home (which they love) to a location (Spring Valley) that has an important amenity for them (their favorite "pub").

But that's the point. Las Vegas and its neighborhoods are diverse. OP needs to find the one that offers what appeals to OP. Maybe OP has a video poker, alcohol, and nicotine addiction. If so, OP's bar choices will be many. Maybe OP abhors the clientele that the bars with which you are familiar serve. In which case, OP will want to find a neighborhood without so many of those kinds of businesses.

Choices depend on options. OP has many. It's part of what makes our town so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 01:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
That's the problem. There are no "different strokes."

All the bars here have blue air from all the smoke, and are essentially video poker emporiums that cater to people who drink to get wasted.

So OP has plenty of choices for venues -- but they're all exactly the same.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:56 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:
That's the problem. There are no "different strokes."

All the bars here have blue air from all the smoke, and are essentially video poker emporiums that cater to people who drink to get wasted.

So OP has plenty of choices for venues -- but they're all exactly the same.
Most, certainly not all.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:35 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Most, certainly not all.
Correct as usual. It is a wise artist who does not get sloppy painting with a broad brush.

Bill

Old 11-26-2015, 12:59 AM

Oh?

I've been to the places suggested on this forum. If there is anything that Las Vegas is truly lacking, it's a decent pub. We get the occasional symphony. And some decent shows at the Smith Center. But I have yet to visit a bar that I would visit a second time. And it's certainly not for lack of trying.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:57 PM

144 posts, read 406,668 times
Thanks so much for all the advice, everyone!

I'm taking notes and will do the proper research as advised.

I'd like to visit Vegas sometime before Christmas. Is there a good time I should go for my scouting mission, and for how long? I was planning to spend 3-5 days driving around neighborhoods, taking a look at what's what. I will also do as recommended and talk to some store owners about the areas I'm considering.

However, I got confused by some responses. Too many different neighborhoods recommended, and I'm lost now. Should it be North LV, South of the Strip, Green Valley, Henderson? Not sure... I just like to be closer to people in my age range (mid 20s) and in a safe neighborhood.

If you guys have any more tips, I would really appreciate it!

Old 11-26-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldon View Post
Is there a good time I should go for my scouting mission, and for how long?
Middle of August. As long as you can stand it.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Middle of August. As long as you can stand it.
Middle of August?! No, I mean next week, or the week after that, in case there's a reason not to come. I'm not sure how crazy Vegas gets, but I guess this doesn't matter for the suburban areas...

Old 11-26-2015, 06:55 PM

Days of the week don't really matter here. Neither does time of day.

I have a friend (who escaped this hellhole and moved to Aspen) who has a dime-sized scar on his forearm where it touched the lock on his car door. Visiting in December isn't going to prepare you for summer. December seems like it's over in a matter of a few days. August just drags on and on and on. Like February does in the Northeast.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:58 PM

ScoopLV, gotcha! I've been in Vegas twice in mid July. It's definitely really hot, but I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas