Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 03:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackackack View Post
Wow, you guys are really gonna get it now. After this discussion, you won't have any reputation left. Not only do you not like Las Vegas, you are also racists. I should have figured as much. You should be like the rest of the Chamber of Commerce in here and say how wonderful it is, and give examples like how great it is to have your yard maintained for so little, and how you had that block wall put up for so cheap and how you were able to tile your whole house for a few bucks, etc.

(I don't know if any of you are actual Chamber of Commerce reps. It was just a joke, like when I incorrectly assumed that some of you enjoyed Kool Aid was just a joke).

The going rate for pickup workers at Star or Home Depot is $15 an hour. Framers make $20 as do wall board guys. Lead guys and foreman do better. The "low wage" illegal is pretty much a myth. Hispanics, legal and illegal, dominate certain trades. Framers, wall board, roofers, stucco pretty much all hispanic. Concrete gets split between non-union hispanic shops and union white guy ones. That is really a union issue though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 04:02 PM

229 posts, read 814,399 times
For what it's worth, I wouldn't hire illegal, unlicensed labor if it were free. That's not a racist opinion (Unfortunately, I feel I do have to qualify that statement).

How about this: ASK OLECAPT!

Olecapt, I'm planning a trip to the moon for my family and I. We were wondering what the weather conditions are like? Just kidding of course (although many in here would prefer if I went to the moon). What don't you know?

Old 08-07-2007, 05:15 PM

You don't really have a choice unless you do the prime and subs yourself. I don't believe there is a trade available even in the high quality custom end where you will not find helpers of unknown lineage. Sure you can hire an anglo cabinet guy...guess who his helpers are? Our very anglo tile guy uses a couple of different helpers two of which are hispanic. His preferred helper is an elderly hispanic...but he is not always available.

Ohh and the weather on the moon is either way too hot or way too cold...but it is very dry.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The going rate for pickup workers at Star or Home Depot is $15 an hour. Framers make $20 as do wall board guys.
That's nonsense.... I've know people that weren't making half that.

According to the Pew Hispanic Center the average weekly wage for non-native born Hispanic workers in America is $388/week. They also break down the averages by trade. For foreign born Hispanics working in construction in America on average they make $388/week (native born Hispanics in America are making an average of $484).

There's no way they are getting $15-20/hour unless they aren't working many hours per week....

Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
That's nonsense.... I've know people that weren't making half that.

According to the Pew Hispanic Center the average weekly wage for non-native born Hispanic workers in America is $388/week. They also break down the averages by trade. For foreign born Hispanics working in construction in America on average they make $388/week (native born Hispanics in America are making an average of $484).

There's no way they are getting $15-20/hour unless they aren't working many hours per week....
Sorry RWF...I pay lot of attention to the going rate at Star cause I hire people or send people to hire people there a couple of times a month. It is how I get my heavy gardening done. I hire two guys for a day about every six weeks. I also semd my clients to the same site when they need some help.

I help a couple of custom builders in the NW estimate jobs. I know pretty well what we will pay for various skills.

I also maintain enought contacts in Los Angeles to know what goes there.

Now the cheap southerners may get away with less. Then again they do that to there own.

In the SW the cheap hispanic is a mirage. May well have been true a while back but no longer.

I believe my cleaning lady, who is an American Citizen, pays her helpers $10 an hour. And they may well be all off the books...I am not about to enquire.

Interesting Lady about 28 or so. Probably came across a long time ago illegally. But now a citizen. Hubby has been seriously disabled by a back injury...so she simply rose to the challenge and has bascially replaced his income and then some. Many of the employees in her cleaning service and restaurant may well be illegal but many are also family. Amazing to watch her drag them all into the middle class.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 PM

I'd say you and your cleaning lady are getting taken. You can find illegals to do the work for half the price you are paying them. For real...

Old 08-07-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I'd say you and your cleaning lady are getting taken. You can find illegals to do the work for half the price you are paying them. For real...
Not in Las Vegas RWF...we maintain a much higher standard than Florida.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:03 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,338,150 times
Quote:
Sorry RWF...I pay lot of attention to the going rate at Star cause I hire people or send people to hire people there a couple of times a month. It is how I get my heavy gardening done. I hire two guys for a day about every six weeks. I also send my clients to the same site when they need some help.

I help a couple of custom builders in the NW estimate jobs. I know pretty well what we will pay for various skills.

I also maintain enough contacts in Los Angeles to know what goes there.

Now the cheap southerners may get away with less. Then again they do that to there own.

In the SW the cheap Hispanic is a mirage. May well have been true a while back but no longer.

I believe my cleaning lady, who is an American Citizen, pays her helpers $10 an hour. And they may well be all off the books...I am not about to inquire.

Interesting Lady about 28 or so. Probably came across a long time ago illegally. But now a citizen. Hubby has been seriously disabled by a back injury...so she simply rose to the challenge and has basically replaced his income and then some. Many of the employees in her cleaning service and restaurant may well be illegal but many are also family. Amazing to watch her drag them all into the middle class.
So basically you're breaking the law by hiring guys outside of Star Nursery?

I won't tell.

I pay my cleaning lady $80.00 to come every other week. She can do in 3½ to 4 hours what it took Carol and me the whole weekend to do. So I guess she makes $20.00 or more per hour. But I don't care. She doesn't bitc* about having to clean like we do.

There is a lot of misconception about immigrants going around. When they say illegal aliens they mean Mexicans. Don't anybody bother to deny it to me because you're wasting your breath; but I will never believe you when you swear that you are not prejudiced against all Mexicans, legal, illegal, or Mexican/American.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:19 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,461,827 times
Didn't RWF move a few years ago? Was that when houses were 150K - 200K and now they have doubled.
Interesting RWF you liked it there so much when just you and the hubby, but not now with Children. I respect that you made the choice to move away once you had children, but if you bad mouth things so much...why didn't you move before you had children???

Old 08-08-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Not in Las Vegas RWF...we maintain a much higher standard than Florida.
No, I'm speaking of Nevada. I have no clue about how it is in Florida. I don't see illegals hanging out in parking lots here, that was only out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
So basically you're breaking the law by hiring guys outside of Star Nursery?

That's how much he loves America... he breaks the laws and hires illegals. Upstanding citizen, eh? Great way to contribute to the welfare of Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
Didn't RWF move a few years ago? Was that when houses were 150K - 200K and now they have doubled.
Interesting RWF you liked it there so much when just you and the hubby, but not now with Children. I respect that you made the choice to move away once you had children, but if you bad mouth things so much...why didn't you move before you had children???
Incorrect again. I moved not even a year ago after living there 10 years, it was late last year when I moved. I sold my house for the peak amount and now I see they are listed for less than what we sold ours for - they are losing a little value. So I sold at the perfect time and I made a lot of money off it because the price had more than doubled since buying it. Before we had kids we planned on moving. It was always in the plans, but things come up that delayed the move. When you are making a cross country move the timing has to be right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas