Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 07:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,274,199 times

Advertisements

I'm a firm believer that one of the best things young people can experience is to strike out alone for a place that's different from "home." It's great for them to be thrown into the deep end of taking care of themselves. And if the lifestyle, culture, and even weather is far different from what they're used to, that's even better.

Some of us who do that learn to stand on our own two feet and get a sociological experience that shows us that the ways of our elders are not the only ways. Others learn that they aren't as smart as they think they are, or other important lessons about life. In many ways, growth is guaranteed.

OP, your son might find out he IS a desert rat at heart and eventually he will return a more worldly and self-confident man. He also might find new horizons that excite him and expand his life. No matter what happens, he'll grow. And you should pat yourself on the back that your fledglings felt confident enough to leave the nest, as they are supposed to do.

Best of luck to your family.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 01-07-2016 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 08:01 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,092,406 times
Take him up to Mt Charleston and drop him off for a few hours.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:08 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,069,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Weather wise he will be in for some acclimation especially to the cold and how long it last. When it does warm up he will have to get use to the humidity and the bugs also lol. Lots more rain in the spring,summer and fall and learning how to drive on winter roads is something you never master. Summers are short and winters long.

Cost of living is going to be double what it is here and the convince of everything staying open 24/7 will be missed. He will encounter many more ethnic populations and religions.

Owing a automobile will be more costly because of the yearly inspections the cost of repairs from the wear and tear from winter and the rusting out of parts from the road salt. He will find NYS has many more taxes and Fees(which are taxes) and a big one he will have to pay NYS INCOME TAX on top of the Federal Income Tax.

On the plus side he is close to NYC and the train goes from Poughkeepsie right into Penn Station so visiting the city is a breeze. He will have access to many wonderful nature sites in the Hudson Valley plus he can go to other New England states on day trips or weekend visits.

He will have many more companies to seek employment from vs Las Vegas NYS is way more diverse infrastructure and not dependent on tourist.

So knit him a wool sweater and some socks and I hope he sticks it out through the fall season which is very beautiful and the weather is nice but the season is short.

I was born in NYC and lived in Plattsburgh NY area over 50 years so that is my take I never encountered anyone who moved from LV to NYS more the opposite they moved fron NYS to LV like I did.
Thanks for your thoughts. Right now he is excited about the snow. We'll see how long that lasts. 😉

Old 01-07-2016, 09:12 PM

2,018 posts, read 1,732,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. Right now he is excited about the snow. We'll see how long that lasts. 😉
I grew up in Miami and moved up to Maryland and I would have to say that dealing with snow is the easy part, especially if it is enough that you are able to stay home. What took forever to get used to was having to live your life in the cold weather. Things like freezing rain, ice storms, and freezing weather with wind chills, were things that I never heard of growing up, I couldn't believe that people were required to leave their houses in that weather, the worst winter I remember in Miami it got down into the 30's and my mother didn't let us out of the house. Then there are the overcast days when you don't see the sun and everything just seems soggy and cold. It can take a couple of years to get use to but if you stick with it you'll learn a new appreciation of the seasons

Old 01-07-2016, 09:19 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,092,406 times
It's crazy how differently people respond to weather.
In NC, they cancel school if there is a slight possibility that there might be snow near by.
In PA, they hold school in blizzards.
A couple years before I left, a tiny bit of snow shut down the capital of NC. People were stranded in their cars on the highway.
In Pa, the only time anything close to that happening was during the blizzard of 96 (or 93, I can't remember)
There was 36-48 inches of snow dumped in a short amount of time. They shut down the highway long enough to run the snow plows and then it was back open.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:31 PM

6,375 posts, read 11,836,225 times
Good base layer is everything in cold weather, definitely make sure he gets a few before he goes. The modern versions are great, barely notice them on. Invest in those and gloves and one can survive easily.

It may have seemed rare in the past to move east from LV but it happens quite a bit . My neighbor moved to Buffalo, another moved to Chicago and I moved to Toronto all in early fall. I actually saw the guy in Buffalo three weeks ago, he said his kids love it but it's been relatively warm until recently. I think kids always handle weather better though so I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:59 AM

472 posts, read 376,751 times
I hope he's bright, as the people in the tristate area are the most street savy people in the world.

He's not going to like almost 9% state income tax, or the cost of just about everything here. He's gonna hate paying tolls on bridges ($15 to cross the most bridges, make sure he gets an EZpass). And forget about wide open spaces, unless you are in a tall building there are not many views. If you can see past the end of the block you're lucky, but he'll like the reason why with all the trees here.

Spring never seems to come. It's cold here until May, especially in the lower Hudson valley where Poughkeepsie is. It'll jump right to Summer.

Summer comes humidity and bugs. Mosquitoes, gnats and an unlimited supply of spiders. It also brings outrageous electric bills. I have a large house, but my monthly energy bills on budget billing for gas and electric are $475 month.

Fall starts around Aug 15th there and will be his most enjoyable time through Nov 1. But he'll have to deal with the rains.

Winter. Snow usually start in the lower Hudson around Dec 1st and can snow anytime and any amount (we are talking some blizzards and Nor'easters can drop 30") until April 1st. Tell him to expect morning temps in January to be below 0 F. Not below freezing, below 0 degrees. January highs on many days won't reach 25 degrees.

And if he thinks he's been in bad traffic, tell him just wait and always, always always avoid the Cross Bronx Expressway.

It's not all bad though. Those same savy NYers will help you do anything, anytime, anywhere if you need help without even knowing your name. You stand in line at checkout and NYers talk to each other like they've been friends their whole life. He'll be amazed at just how open and outgoing everyone is. Just don't cross anyone or you'll regret it.

The city is beautiful any time of the year, the beaches are incredible on Long Island, and the air is crisp and clean. The water tastes great and there is no need for softeners or purifiers.

56 years here for me and I'm now split between LV and NY and the differences are so stark it's like two worlds. I'm looking forward to moving as the pluses of LV over NY are countless, but there are most definitely things I will miss.

Good luck to him. But the people will treat him fairly. You get exactly what you deserve here, just make sure he respects the ones who earn it and it will be reciprocated the same to him.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:19 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,251,698 times
SEEING snow and living with the hassle and misery of snow day to day are 2 completely different things. It's not all hot chocolate by the fire and making snowmen in the meadow, let me tell ya! It will be interesting to see how fast he falls out of love with that idea of snow!

Old 01-08-2016, 09:15 AM

238 posts, read 546,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
When it takes him 3 hours to go 10 miles in a snowstorm he'll quickly lose his enthusiasm. I live in NJ and can't wait to move to LV. We've been lucky to not have any snow yet.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:23 AM

472 posts, read 376,751 times
Oh I forgot. He's gonna absolutely love Pizza, bagels and a NY Deli. Tell him to go to Coney Island for a hotdog and knish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas