Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:58 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
GIGO: Garbage In, Garbage Out.

That's CCSDs unsolvable problem. All the money in the world won't help people who don't want to learn. And those who DO want to learn will find a way to do so, with or without school.

The only yardstick that matters is impossible to use -- comparing the same child simultaneously attending two different schools in parallel universes.

But let's face facts -- nobody relocates to Las Vegas for our great schools.
No one relocates anywhere for great schools. It is however a hygienic factor in which town or tract you pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 10:09 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Club at Madeira Canyon
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
Big traffic problems there
Nah. They are building more roads to intersect with Las Vegas Blvd and with I-15. Roads will keep up with demand.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:00 PM

992 posts, read 2,372,276 times
Thanks for the input. I tend to like Great Schools, and generally rely on reviews. I know no district or school is perfect, but of course we hope to find the best possible scenario. We lived in the burbs outside of Houston and had good and bad.....now we're in Wyoming and the schools are ok, but like any place else there are bad apples. I find that the kids in these rural areas are openly experimenting with drugs, alcohol, and sex. And this is middle school. If we are doing something right at home then we should be good.
I am honestly looking forward to a bit of anonymity and city conveniences. There's no anonymity in a town of 6000.
What areas are favorable closer to North Las Vegas? Husband will be working in North Las Vegas, and while a minimal commute would be nice, it's not the end all.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Thanks for the input. I tend to like Great Schools, and generally rely on reviews. I know no district or school is perfect, but of course we hope to find the best possible scenario. We lived in the burbs outside of Houston and had good and bad.....now we're in Wyoming and the schools are ok, but like any place else there are bad apples. I find that the kids in these rural areas are openly experimenting with drugs, alcohol, and sex. And this is middle school. If we are doing something right at home then we should be good.
I am honestly looking forward to a bit of anonymity and city conveniences. There's no anonymity in a town of 6000.
What areas are favorable closer to North Las Vegas? Husband will be working in North Las Vegas, and while a minimal commute would be nice, it's not the end all.
North west. Lone Mountain if you want a little rural, Summerlin, 89131, 89141, 89166, 89129, 89149 89134. You can even do OK in NLV 89084 but north of 215 (high school zoning)

Old 02-01-2016, 07:04 PM

698 posts, read 985,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
I live in 89131 (Sheep Mountain area) easy to find 1/2+ acre lots where I am and you have to dodge horse droppings on you walks. I can see three horse stables from my backyard. Nice and quiet up here.

We've had good luck with the schools in the area too, but we're also VERY involved parents who don't treat school like a day care.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:22 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
No one relocates anywhere for great schools. It is however a hygienic factor in which town or tract you pick.
I have said it a dozen times -- if I had kids, I'd move. I wouldn't even think twice about that. You would see a big vapor trail as I skedaddled. Palo Alto, San Jose, Connecticut, the good parts of New Jersey. That's where I'd be looking.

There is no way I'd let a bunch of Las Vegas slack-[posteriors] be my children's peer group.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:28 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times
Yeah, the schools here are pretty bad. However, if you read comments sections from any part of the country you see that people are just as ignorant there as they are here.
Applied to magnet schools for my son.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:31 PM

I take it back. All rational people move to the job and take care of schools on the side. There are very few good jobs available where there are no good schools Las Vegas is no exception. but one cannot extend that observation to the irrational. They will believe whatever...nothing to be done except provide understanding and compassion.

Over my career I moved perpahs 200 to 300 professionals between California, upstate NY and Dallas. I even manaqged to convince the NYers that their children would not immediately succumb to a live of drug addiction and sexual promiscuity as soon as the hit California. And son of a gun they did not...

There are of course the irrational. They believe in all sorts of things. Little basis but they still believe. Some stayed in Rochester to protect the purity of their children.

Las Vegas is obviously not an exception and the irrational will churn their garbage...but they are irrational and it is garbage.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I take it back. All rational people move to the job and take care of schools on the side. There are very few good jobs available where there are no good schools Las Vegas is no exception. but one cannot extend that observation to the irrational. They will believe whatever...nothing to be done except provide understanding and compassion.

Over my career I moved perpahs 200 to 300 professionals between California, upstate NY and Dallas. I even manaqged to convince the NYers that their children would not immediately succumb to a live of drug addiction and sexual promiscuity as soon as the hit California. And son of a gun they did not...

There are of course the irrational. They believe in all sorts of things. Little basis but they still believe. Some stayed in Rochester to protect the purity of their children.

Las Vegas is obviously not an exception and the irrational will churn their garbage...but they are irrational and it is garbage.
Are you typing with boxing gloves on?

The valley has two distinct problems:

1) Our schools aren't excellent. I can rattle off dozens of areas that have better schools. And since I have set up my life so that I can live anywhere I please, I'd leave. I would abandon my current obligations in Las Vegas and split. I wouldn't even think twice about it. Mostly for reason #2, though:

2) The average Las Vegan is woefully deficient compared to the average American. I don't want a classroom full of Las Vegas kids as my hypothetical child's peer group. That's the larger of the two problems. People who live in "nice" areas will still have classrooms dominated by the children of valets, housekeepers and cabbies. And although there's nothing wrong with any of those professions, the sad fact is that almost half of all people never read another book after graduating. And it's worse here than elsewhere. I'd move someplace that places actual value on education instead of lip service.

"I moved to Las Vegas for the superior school system," said no one ever...

Old 02-01-2016, 08:08 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times
Friends don't let friends type drunk.

Number 2 is a big problem. Appealing to the lowest functioning child and keeping everyone on their level, instead of pushing kids to the highest functioning kid's level.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and we're making chains out of cheap plastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas