Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:43 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
I can't believe people put up with 6% commission to be honest.

1.5% in London and I'll even haggle that down, and agents in Vegas do even less then ones here. They seem to think they deserve 3% when all they do is take 5 terrible photos and stick a lockbox on a door, at least the buyers agent is compiling lists and driving the buyer around.

If there's anyway to list it yourself Id be all over it
Do a fsbo or get a license and list it yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 08:14 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,336 times
Quote:

1.5% in London and I'll even haggle that down, and agents in Vegas do even less then ones here. They seem to think they deserve 3% when all they do is take 5 terrible photos and stick a lockbox on a door, at least the buyers agent is compiling lists and driving the buyer around.

They also market your house, negotiate on your behalf, facilitate legal documents, keep the process moving along with the varies parties involved, hold open houses, evaluate potential buyers (my agent weeded out weak buyers) you are using their experience/expertise and guide you through the whole process. If not done correctly you can drag the whole process on for months, you still have to pay taxes, insurance, house payments etc. It's kinda like representing yourself in court. I'd rather have a good lawyer (unless it's a very minor legal matter).

Old 02-03-2016, 08:19 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
Nope. Buyer pays, every time. It may not show up on the closing statement that way, but it's reflected in the price, which is fluid and set at the seller's discretion. Thus a house that might have been listed for $250k will be listed by an agent at $275k, and ultimately sell for $265k.
And this is why hearing buyer's agents crow, "My services are FREE to you," makes me cringe.

If average people knew just how badly they are being [intercoursed] on typical real estate deals*, they would get their own license and do it themselves. Most buyers put up with this because they're afraid of making large purchases. And they're content to remain ignorant.

* Of course atypical deals exist. And so do atypical agents.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:40 AM

799 posts, read 708,511 times
I've done it both ways. When I use an agent, I know that I'm essentially paying for "one stop" convenience. I'm getting the marketing, and (potential) buyer hassles out of the way. I'm also gaining access to a much larger marketing pool than I can fsbo. This comes at a cost, sometimes it's been worth the cost, other times in my life it hasn't been needed.

If every transaction was an "easy" one, we wouldn't need real estate agents. Add a couple complications, and they are definitely earning their money. And if you get a professional one, not just a "listing collector", they really earn their keep.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:42 AM

347 posts, read 511,969 times
Quote:

In the UK all the estate agent does is print flyer, run newspaper ad and stick photo in the agents window.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
I'm also gaining access to a much larger marketing pool than I can fsbo.

If you set your price properly, it will sell anyway. You only need one buyer, after all.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:49 AM

799 posts, read 708,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If you set your price properly, it will sell anyway. You only need one buyer, after all.
Oh, I agree proper initial pricing is the most important part of any sale. The key is finding that one buyer, and letting them know the property is available. That is what I pay for when I choose to use an agent. When I'm ready to sell something, I want it gone, asap. Sometimes I want to cast my net wider, because I don't know where that one buyer is.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:02 AM

While reaching a broader audience is nice, having an extra 6% wiggle room is nicer, in my opinion.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:15 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
When an owner lists a house for sale, the Listing Agreement, which sets the commission, is between the Listing Broker and the homeowner. To facilitate a sale, the Listing Broker may agree to share the commission with a Buyer's Agent (which is standard if it's listed on an MLS). So, technically, the Listing Broker is paying the Buyer's Agents commission--although, effectively, it's coming out of the Seller's pocket. That's why a lot of homeowners try to sell FSBO--because the Seller is the one paying the commission and they feel they can save that amount by handling the sale themselves (but, hopefully, with the help of a real estate attorney for legal advice and to handle the closing).

Just remember that the amount of the commission is negotiable. If they refuse to negotiate, shop around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
Nope. Buyer pays, every time. It may not show up on the closing statement that way, but it's reflected in the price, which is fluid and set at the seller's discretion. Thus a house that might have been listed for $250k will be listed by an agent at $275k, and ultimately sell for $265k.
Absolutely not. A selling price is based solely upon what a Buyer is willing and able to pay. Period.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:34 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Absolutely not. A selling price is based solely upon what a Buyer is willing and able to pay. Period.
You're missing the point, all they said was the buyer ultimately pays the commission

This is true now more than ever, it is entirely a seller's market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: