Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:51 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
A 6000% increase isn't some statistical aberration. And so what if it's homosexuals? They're still my neighbors. I don't want them to suffer any more than I want the straight guys (and gals) to suffer.
d

The purported cause of this epidemic was reported to be dating services such as bundlr and the ilk. So we have a syphilis epidemic of gays driven by dating services.

I was under the impression these dating services appealed to the hetereo as well as gay males. So we should have far more infected hetereos than gays just given the relative populations.

So has LV become a center of gay internet dating?

Sounds implausible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 08:58 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Improper sexual education.

Teachers will tell you to wrap it up to avoid babies, but don't say anything about gay men. They're more susceptible to std, and don't know they need to wrap it.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
Do you really believe that a large percentage of gay men don't know how HIV is spread? Syphilis is spread the same way.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:21 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,007 times
Still a 6000% increase from 2000 does seem pretty sensational which is what the news has been known to do. When put into perspective by the CDC stats that this disease is growing steadily over all and it isn't far above national stats it brings the whole issue of importance down a notch. Though the reporter did say that Las Vegas leads in new infections and specifically talks about the stats here and the active cases being treated and how they suspect it's being transmitted though hook ups on social media. They don't address that it's the gay community here and neither does the CDC facts posted for that matter as it seems to refer the national issue and not the present local one.

As for sexual education I can remember having sex education lessons in 4th grade and 5th grade by signed permission slips. It was the same video those two years before middle school. Then we had a health class in junior high where we got a similar video and expanded into learning about the different kinds of drugs and what they're for and how they affect your body. There was a big "Just Say No" campaign and I was appointed "Miss Drug Free" at the school assembly to my surprise. I was given a pageant sash and presented before the student body and I didn't even know I was in a contest. It kind of felt like a school joke but I accepted it graciously and played my role.

Then in high school we had health class freshman year and junior year. I'm not sure why we didn't have it the other two years in between. It was always the same version of the video and facts. Mostly about where hair grows. What happens to your body as it develops and about how a man and a woman come together and procreate. It talks about the man's arousal and the part his body plays in the procreation process. Then it talks about the female's anatomy in the procreation process. There was nothing on the female anatomy and it's arousal or female masturbation and how you don't need a man to get yourself off safely and have a sexual experience on your own without male penetration. Nor was there anything about homosexuals or the LGBTQ community, ect. My understanding is that the LGBTQ recognition has come a long ways in schools since then but only in recent years. I've heard they even have after school clubs for this now in junior high and high school which helps develop their self esteem and prevents suicide among this demographic.

What struck me even in later years was that talking about love, peace and especially making love were taboo topics. Yet lessons of war, violence, destruction and hate are readily acceptable topics in our society for media consumption and taught without a flicker of fear. What does this say about our culture over all?

In today's world it boggles my mind that we have members of Congress that think a woman's body can shut down rape. That our government representatives are still largely white males and they work on legislation that affects what women can and can't do with their own body.

Less developed countries have had women leaders and leaders of various ethnicity and religions prior to our country and we're supposed to be the leaders of the world? Yet we still have groups of people actively working to shut down funding to medical clinics that service the public population on public health issues which should be between an individual and their doctor only. The kicker is that these clinics statistically treat the preventative health issues more than the moral health issues these activists are concerned about.

Why are people who clearly aren't medical professionals and have little medical knowledge, and the majority aren't women which they're largely affecting by legislation, making these ethical and moral health decisions for others through passing laws?

Old 02-05-2016, 11:13 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Still a 6000% increase from 2000 does seem pretty sensational which is what the news has been known to do. When put into perspective by the CDC stats that this disease is growing steadily over all and it isn't far above national stats it brings the whole issue of importance down a notch. Though the reporter did say that Las Vegas leads in new infections and specifically talks about the stats here and the active cases being treated and how they suspect it's being transmitted though hook ups on social media. They don't address that it's the gay community here and neither does the CDC facts posted for that matter as it seems to refer the national issue and not the present local one.

As for sexual education I can remember having sex education lessons in 4th grade and 5th grade by signed permission slips. It was the same video those two years before middle school. Then we had a health class in junior high where we got a similar video and expanded into learning about the different kinds of drugs and what they're for and how they affect your body. There was a big "Just Say No" campaign and I was appointed "Miss Drug Free" at the school assembly to my surprise. I was given a pageant sash and presented before the student body and I didn't even know I was in a contest. It kind of felt like a school joke but I accepted it graciously and played my role.

Then in high school we had health class freshman year and junior year. I'm not sure why we didn't have it the other two years in between. It was always the same version of the video and facts. Mostly about where hair grows. What happens to your body as it develops and about how a man and a woman come together and procreate. It talks about the man's arousal and the part his body plays in the procreation process. Then it talks about the female's anatomy in the procreation process. There was nothing on the female anatomy and it's arousal or female masturbation and how you don't need a man to get yourself off safely and have a sexual experience on your own without male penetration. Nor was there anything about homosexuals or the LGBTQ community, ect. My understanding is that the LGBTQ recognition has come a long ways in schools since then but only in recent years. I've heard they even have after school clubs for this now in junior high and high school which helps develop their self esteem and prevents suicide among this demographic.

What struck me even in later years was that talking about love, peace and especially making love were taboo topics. Yet lessons of war, violence, destruction and hate are readily acceptable topics in our society for media consumption and taught without a flicker of fear. What does this say about our culture over all?

In today's world it boggles my mind that we have members of Congress that think a woman's body can shut down rape. That our government representatives are still largely white males and they work on legislation that affects what women can and can't do with their own body.

Less developed countries have had women leaders and leaders of various ethnicity and religions prior to our country and we're supposed to be the leaders of the world? Yet we still have groups of people actively working to shut down funding to medical clinics that service the public population on public health issues which should be between an individual and their doctor only. The kicker is that these clinics statistically treat the preventative health issues more than the moral health issues these activists are concerned about.

Why are people who clearly aren't medical professionals and have little medical knowledge, and the majority aren't women which they're largely affecting by legislation, making these ethical and moral health decisions for others through passing laws?
You tell 'EM Merry!

Old 02-05-2016, 11:34 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Yep^

Old 02-09-2016, 08:46 AM

66 posts, read 77,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
This is a national trend. It is not unique to Las Vegas, and has nothing to do with sex education. Here is a recent CDC article. Concisely;
It's not a national trend, but international. Syphilis is one of the hot topics in the Japanese medical communities these days.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article...5.312/_article

Some MSMs are super promiscuous (e.g. hanky code), and they are the epicenter of the epidemic.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:21 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
I remember being inundated with std education when I went to school - I would wager that this is not the case today and it has gone the way of drivers ed and physical ed and cursive writing, etc., etc., etc. iirc, syphilis is very hard, and next to impossible? to detect in a female without testing. In males, well, it's like an ear started growing out of your forehead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: