Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 01:56 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times

Advertisements

Saw a picture of people picking out a huge Maine lobster for dinner. Has anyone ever been to this place? It's close to Flamingo and Paradise.

And I wonder what a lobster that big would cost... I guess if you have to ask you can't afford it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 06:55 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
To be that big, the lobster is at least 20 years old, and tough as boot leather.

Three pounds is about the biggest lobster that I would consider buying. One to two pounds is a meal for one person.

Jim B.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:22 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
To be that big, the lobster is at least 20 years old, and tough as boot leather.

Incorrect. Big lobsters are easy to overcook -- which makes the meat taste like rubber bands. But if steamed correctly, there's no difference other than the size.

Think about it -- people wouldn't pay all that money if they knew it was going to suck. Some of the best lobsters I've ever had were monsters.

(But I'd rather have a good king crab or a fresh stone crab than any lobster.)

EDIT -- From my favorite magazine of all time. Let's see how many truly "hip" people visit this forum:

Last edited by ScoopLV; 02-06-2016 at 07:34 AM..

Old 02-06-2016, 08:49 AM

58 posts, read 53,811 times
From my experience and my family in Boston, the "chicken" lobsters, about 1 1/2 lbs. are the sweetest. It takes about seven yrs for a "bug" to reach legal size. I've eaten 3-4 lb bugs and the smaller ones are tastier imho

Old 02-06-2016, 09:14 AM

Where it was harvested, when it was harvested, and how it was treated in the time between trap and plate has more to do with the taste than weight.

Throw any lobster in a pressure cooker for 45 minutes, and it's going to taste like a bundle of rubber bands. Chicken lobsters usually taste better because people don't tend to overcook them -- they don't need to be shocked in an ice bath after steaming like the big ones do to avoid carryover.

I've had some mediocre small lobsters and some delicious monstrosities. Too many factors to just focus on size.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:15 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
In Montauk the custom with large lobsters was to use them for chowder and stew. The problem is that they cannot be cooked in the conventional lobster ways. Scoop is right though...it turns out if properly prepared they can be as good or better than a 2 pounder. Personally saw it done only once. A boat captain party where they served a 20 pounder. MIL was a connoisseur. Would rip through a three pound female leaving nothing but shell.

I would think anything bigger than three or four pounds has to be butchered before being fully cooked. My experience though is virtually all 3 lbs and less.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:45 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Saw a picture of people picking out a huge Maine lobster for dinner. Has anyone ever been to this place? It's close to Flamingo and Paradise.

And I wonder what a lobster that big would cost... I guess if you have to ask you can't afford it!

I like the place. I have been dinning there for the last twenty years. Only steaks and sides for me when I am there.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:53 PM

The trick with really big lobsters is to have Isaac Newton help -- specifically, his laws of thermodynamics. If the lobster is done when it comes out of the pot, it will be OVERdone when it is cracked open on the plate. The reason is called "carryover." This is thermal inertia -- which continues to cook the food when it is removed from the heat. The greater the mass, the more carryover. Turkeys, for instance, carryover for 30 minutes.

Cooking is chemistry -- that's why I got into this in the first place. Baking is fairly serious chemistry. Many of the best chefs started out in pastry. That's where the hardcore culinary science lies. For instance, I can make cookies that will rock your world with sugar, flour, butter, vanilla, and ammonia. Nothing more. And if you say, "ewww, ammonia cookies,' I have absolutely no respect for you. Ammonia cookies are freakin' amazing. Google "hartshorn" if you'd like to know more about ammonia as a leavening agent.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:43 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Ewww, ammonia cookies...

I prefer lye. Or Asbestos.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:07 PM

550 posts, read 637,840 times
I wouldn't do anything with a lobster of that size except take my 12" knife, flatten that monster out, start the split from right behind the eyes, remove both claws, and then cook it in a lovely, savory butter bath. Similar in principle to cooking any poultry that is large and whose parts need to be cooked separately for even doneness. I know people want all the pomp and circumstance of the whole lobster being brought to the table, but I personally would not do it any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: