Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 05:28 PM

34 posts, read 40,683 times

Advertisements

What and how many stations can be picked up with a digital antenna?
I don't want to pay Cox Cable half my income for TV channels, so I'd rather just watch local stuff.

I can download movies and TV shows that aren't being played locally anyway.

Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 05:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
antennaweb.org

If you don't care about ESPN, Showtime and similar, cut the cord! A $100 antenna from Fry's and I was up and running in an hour. Easy-peasy setup (at my specific location -- your mileage may vary). My line-of-sight pointing got me everything but Fox. And a little tweaking took care of Fox. I get close to 50 channels. And a few of them actually interest me -- CreateTV, for instance.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:38 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,720,611 times
You can receive all the major networks in most parts of the valley with a simple antenna like this one Robot Check attached to your wall somewhere inside.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:30 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,524 times
If you can see the broadcast antennas on Black Mountain, you should get all the major stations. Make sure your antenna has the ability to pick up hi VHF and all the UHF channels. Here is another web site to assist you:

TV Fool

Old 02-07-2016, 11:17 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,027,746 times
Quote:
with a digital antenna
No such thing.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:55 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,488,907 times
Pick up any digital antenna at the electronics store or Target/Walmart usually around $30.00. It picks up all the local channels and then some like what Scoop said, Create TV, love that channel.

I dropped cable many years ago, I don't missed it at all. Now, I have the digital antenna and a subscription to Netflix and Hulu, ($7.99 each). You will not run out of shows to watch, both Netflix and Hulu have decent original shows as well.

Netflix also have the #codes you can enter while using the computer for more shows/genre.
Any show you watch on the computer (Netflix) will automatically download to the Netflix site on your TV if you want to watch it using a bigger screen.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:14 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,283 times
Unfortunately some of us live in the shadow of Black Mountain and therefore receive very little free (OTA) T.V.

For some reason all the Spanish and religious freak channels come in quite well and I can sometime pick up Channel 8 depending on what phase the moon is in, or so it seems. But that is about it. Even "Mr Antenna" (if he is still around) wouldn't even pay me a house call when I told him my address. He just said that there was no way I was going to get anything over the air.

So I split the DirecTV bill with my neighbor get my TV that way. We registered 2 additional TIVO DVRs to his address and plugged them into the dish that was installed on my house when we bought the place. This arrangment seems to work out pretty well. We both pay $65/month for everything except the movie channels.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:39 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Pick up any digital antenna at the electronics store or Target/Walmart usually around $30.00. It picks up all the local channels and then some like what Scoop said, Create TV, love that channel.

I dropped cable many years ago, I don't missed it at all. Now, I have the digital antenna and a subscription to Netflix and Hulu, ($7.99 each). You will not run out of shows to watch, both Netflix and Hulu have decent original shows as well.

Netflix also have the #codes you can enter while using the computer for more shows/genre.
Any show you watch on the computer (Netflix) will automatically download to the Netflix site on your TV if you want to watch it using a bigger screen.
Not all antennas are created equal. Some antennas won't pick up VHF signals for instance.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:10 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,720,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
Not all antennas are created equal. Some antennas won't pick up VHF signals for instance.

These Wallantenna clones or bowtie rod combos that you see sold cheap everywhere will pretty much get the job done and pick up med and high VHF frequencies along with UHF. The only TV channels in the valley that currently uses low VHF frequencies is virtual channels 21.1 Antenna TV and 21.2 not being used at the moment. If you reside in a transmitter dead zone like C_A_Braun. Then your simply out of luck. If your having trouble with reception. A little experimentation with the antenna location and rotation is usually all is that is needed to correct the issue.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:00 PM

359 posts, read 361,043 times
FREE TV Channels - Mr Antenna, USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas