Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 08:31 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,114,751 times

Advertisements

Built a grinder stand out of an old tv stand I found int he desert. The center beam is extremely sturdy. The base is real thin crap BUT as soon as I find an old wheel in the desert, I'll replace the base with said wheel. I pretty much only use the grinder to sharpen the tungsten, so there's no real stress put into it.

Almost getting decent at it. Had I started ON the tack instead of beside it, would have been a perfect weld.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 09:30 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,797,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Built a grinder stand out of an old tv stand I found int he desert. The center beam is extremely sturdy. The base is real thin crap BUT as soon as I find an old wheel in the desert, I'll replace the base with said wheel. I pretty much only use the grinder to sharpen the tungsten, so there's no real stress put into it.

Almost getting decent at it. Had I started ON the tack instead of beside it, would have been a perfect weld.

You need a mentor or teacher. Your bead looks nice but I suspect it is not anchored into the base material. My skill is limited to gas welding and cutting but I would not like the clean line between the weld and the base material.

I am however not skilled enough at this part of the art to have a valid opinion.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:39 PM

It looks like the lap joints I've seen others do. No complaints on the welding forum so far.
That being said, I'm not experienced enough either way. I do know that the practice lap joints I have done and cut in half had good penetration.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:46 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,797,741 times
Quote:
It looks like the lap joints I've seen others do. No complaints on the welding forum so far.
That being said, I'm not experienced enough either way. I do know that the practice lap joints I have done and cut in half had good penetration.
I would not be happy with that weld doing gas...The pool is supposed to float smoothly into the base so it is a smoother edge. However I don't know if that is true with TIG.

I got to the point where I could weld up a small box that would hold a couple of hundred pounds of air. But I never got to the smooth welds of some of my more experienced colleagues . The rings would be perfectly uniform and beautiful to behold. Mine held air but looked more chopped than flowed.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:59 PM

That is upside down. There's a plate at the top of the beam, and I welded brackets to the plate to hold the grinder. That weld is one of 6 holding the brackets to the plate laterally. I'm not worried about it going anywhere.

Not trying to sound like I am rejecting criticism. I definitely need improvement.

Last edited by EA; 03-17-2016 at 10:07 PM..

Old 03-18-2016, 01:28 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,481 times
If you are going to be serious about welding - like getting AWS certified, you really should take some classes. You run the risk of ingraining bad habits.

It's been +10 years since I took welding classes at CSN but I thought they were pretty good. I just wanted to be a hobby / backyard weldor and took Oxy-Fuel and TIG because they didn't have any pre-reqs. Both were very educational. Later I took an ornamental iron class and did MIG. Off of that experience I do stick and TIG at home. I'll eventually get an oxy-fuel rig and maybe a plasma cutter. I'm pretty low volume so MIG is a low priority. Oxy-Fuel is the most fun IMHO.

There were a bunch of pro weldors in the weld room working on their certs. These folks were pretty damn good from my eye - their welds were so uniform. One guy was doing stick and when he chipped off his slag - whoa - beauty. Some of the TIG welds were like art.

The cert class folks would weld up short sections and these were then cut down the weld to see the cross-section and at the later stages instead of being cut, they would be bent in a press to see if premature failure occured. Just because a weld looks good on the surface means very little.

A few suggestions:

There's kind of a cult internet thing of getting the Harbor Freight band saw (~$170) and adding a small water pump and bucket to recirculate a water/anti freeze mixture to make it a wet saw. Some change the motor and bearings but I just added the recirc and used better blades.
I messed around with a 14" abrasive wheel saw before I learned abou the wet saw hack. Wet saw is way better if you're doing thicker than 1/8" - faster, cleaner, quieter.

The first thing I did was make a welding table out of 5/16" angle with a bench vise at one corner and places to hang clamps. (You're going to end up buying soooo many clamps.)

Pick one weld supply house and be a regular face there - the counter folks take care of their regulars.

Have fun - welding is fascinating.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:58 AM

I built a small table already. Made it to fit the space I had available. I built a welding cart and the grinder stand as well.
I'm a union carpenter, so once the union training center weld shop is up and running at full capacity, I can take classes for free. There's a shop on Nellis (by my house) that offers a free class on Thursdays.

That being said, I learn better on my own.
My goal is to be able to pass 2" 3" and 6" 6g pipe tests, tig root, stick fill and cover. I also need a couple basic 7018 certs for my job welding steel studs vertical and horizontal. Between framing and drywall skills, and pipe welding skills, there's no reason for me to ever be unemployed no matter what part of the world I am in.

I definitely want to get a band saw. Currently cutting everything with an angle grinder. As soon as I get the parts car stripped and out of the garage, I'll start buying more tools. Right now, there's no more room in the garage.

Clamps, yes, I want all the clamps. I have some clamps already, but I need so many more. Trying to hold things and tack them is a pain if you can't get a fusion tack. (I just have a tig/stick machine)

Old 03-18-2016, 02:08 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,481 times
Quote:
I built a small table already. Made it to fit the space I had available.
What wall thickness on the square tube?

Quote:

I'm a union carpenter, so once the union training center weld shop is up and running at full capacity, I can take classes for free.
Is this the Intl Center by beltway / I-15 that has been growing like crazy or one of the locals? I visited the Intl Center years ago - a very impressive facility with many teaching areas including gas and steam turbines. There's even an onsite cafeteria and bar + hotel rooms for out of towners.

Quote:
That being said, I learn better on my own.
My goal is to be able to pass 2" 3" and 6" 6g pipe tests, tig root, stick fill and cover. I also need a couple basic 7018 certs for my job welding steel studs vertical and horizontal. Between framing and drywall skills, and pipe welding skills, there's no reason for me to ever be unemployed no matter what part of the world I am in.
Pipe welding good but beware the Weldbot 2025. Robotic welding is not a new thing...

Best wishes and for learning new things.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:21 PM

No, not the international building. Us peasants aren't allowed in there without an invite. I'm talking about the training center off Sunset. It used to be on Bonanza. In the move they got rid of the millwright shop and although the weld shop is there, it's currently only available to journeyman getting recertified. I'm an apprentice, so I can't go in there yet. Supposedly sometime this year it will open up.

I'm aware of the weld bots, still some areas they aren't able to get into. Boilermaking for example. Some of those spots are so tight you can barely get the tig torch in there. A robot won't fit.

As far as wall thickness, I have no idea, I don't have a micrometer yet. It's thin enough that I can flex it with my fingers.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:08 PM

Preparing my Cressida for a tube front end. Cut off the front end that was all jacked up, and made some plates to weld into the open holes. I need to get some 1/8 inch plate to weld to the strut towers for the tubes to mount to. Welding the thin sheet metal is challenging. I figure by the time I get done with this project, I should be ready to get certified.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas