Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:34 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,977,927 times

Advertisements

yes that is true, people complain about every violation, and having "clients" is going to be a headache
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 01:25 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Problem with the HOA's in LV is that people pay money to have them. Many people who do, feel that they must complain about every violation...just to get their money's worth out of the deal.
It's not "to get their money's worth"- they pay to live in a community with an HOA to avoid certain things, whether they be cars on the lawn, junk in the backyard, or illegal businesses- so they're complaining because the other people who agreed to the HOA requirements obviously aren't abiding by the rules.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:30 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,484,904 times
Yes...some of the complaints are valid and should be reported...but there are also many filed just because someone can...and will.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:02 PM

64 posts, read 205,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Yes...some of the complaints are valid and should be reported...but there are also many filed just because someone can...and will.
There are people like that everywhere for sure! HOA's or not - I wouldn't want to be around bad neighbors either.

Where I live now, we have a narrow windy street, which permits parking only on one side of the road - There are even signs on the other side (a big red letter "P" in a circle with a line through it with a horizontal line under it with arrows on each end) meaning no parking ANYWHERE on that side of the road. If cars are parked on both sides...that leaves about 5 feet between them. I never measured, but you can't drive a car between them. So, I just knock on my neighbor's door and let them know that their visitors are blocking the road. They are usually surprised to see it and the car gets moved. But if I had DIFFICULT neighbors who JUST DON"T CARE - I'd like to have an HOA to back me up or deal with it, then the police if necessary.

I am very careful not to offend or invade anyone's space, either physically with parking or an ugly front yard, or with loud music, etc. Because I know I don't particularly like it.

There are people who just LOVE to know they have control of SOMETHING - (Gladys Cravitz) and the HOA gives these people a little taste of that - Maybe they just need one of my yoga classes or two or three!

PS - I always have a smile on my face! when "complaining"!

Last edited by YogaMom; 02-10-2008 at 05:31 PM..

Old 02-10-2008, 05:22 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,461,827 times
And neighbors complaining because they can isn't just a LV issue, it's an issue everywhere.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:50 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Again though this is tricky territory.

First off stick to the County. It is much more permissive and has less statutes to hassle you with.

Second stay away from any HOA. Even if everyone nearby agrees...which likely won't happen, it still won't fly. And note a car an hour will do it every time.

If you can afford it the 1/2 acres will work at least in the more rustic ones. Live and let live. Hide the parking and no one will ever know.

If those are out of your budget range than try the mixed areas. There are many county islands in various places which are transistional. You have some reasonable chance of doing it there. The border between residental and commercial...say along the streets bordering Sahara on the county side.

Don't buy anything unless you are completely clear on the business thing. People buy these "all you got to do is" properties all the time and end up in two year fights that they lose.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:36 PM

9 posts, read 25,294 times
Default Curious

Hi, and Welcome! I've recently relocated to Vegas and am trying out the same thing. Classes at my home. Was curious as to how you've made out. It's been slow going so far, been here 2 months now, have 4 students. I am hopeful and really ready to meet some people here. Let me know if you ever want to chat. I've got more than enough time on my hands.
Namaste,
Wendy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas