U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 03:00 AM

64 posts, read 140,860 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Las Vegas sometime this year and need a little advice/guidance.

I want to buy a home on a large lot, build a yoga studio (maybe 20x25 with a bathroom) in the backyard and teach private classes - maybe some group classes.

Do any of you know if it is legal to have a home business like this? I am aware that the insurance will be a factor, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 05:53 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,785,611 times
Depends on the zoning in the area you buy in. Home businesses are allowed in most areas, but if you're going to have groups of people there at one time, you're going to have problems due to parking. I'd look at getting a place in a mixed-use area thats zoned commercial.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:17 AM

9,582 posts, read 15,061,020 times
if its in your backyard, you may have a problem with the housing associations.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:02 AM

15,756 posts, read 21,091,553 times
As Bob K says...There are some areas where it can work...along Jones Blvd where the area is residental but the street has gone commercial.

Mostly you will be denied a business license based on the parking issue. Businesses that require customer access are frowned on in residental areas. There are some one off properties where a use permit might be possible. The house at the corner of Tenaya and Craig comes to mind. Or perhaps one of the corners adjoining commercial. There are a number of these around.

The trick in most of these is to gain neighborhood agreement. If the neighbors support or at least don't resist it is much more likely to happen

Old 02-08-2008, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the input!

I wasn't considering putting up a shingle and being open to the public like that.

I was thinking more along the lines of having the structure built in the backyard without opposition from authorities (and neighbors) regarding its use. I did think about the parking issue, but I doubt there will be more than two or three extra cars at any one time. Having all of my family over will be more of a parking problem, so I was already looking for a home with a lot of free parking space for that reason (i.e., corner lot, end of cul-de-sac...)

That was a good point regarding a business license or permit, though. I wonder if that will be needed for the type of work I will do, HHmmm.. I better find out.

Maybe the realtor I use will help with those official questions? Do you know if there's a website where I can find this type of info? Would I check state, city or county? I guess it depends on my location.

Thanks a LOT!!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:37 PM

8,819 posts, read 15,344,123 times
Consider buying a home with a casita..that way you have a small studio with a bathroom. A lot of home's come with those now as optional extra's. But the parking will still be an issue, depending on where you live.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:41 AM

1,354 posts, read 2,872,583 times
Look at the city license websites that you are considering moving to, then call the number and ask what you have to go through. I just went through all of that, and it sucks. Most of them said you have to file the paperwork and then they would give you an answer. Sorry!

Old 02-09-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Consider buying a home with a casita..that way you have a small studio with a bathroom. A lot of home's come with those now as optional extra's. But the parking will still be an issue, depending on where you live.

Love that idea - but from what I've seen, too rich for my blood!

Old 02-09-2008, 09:43 AM

9,582 posts, read 15,061,020 times
there was a vegas house with a casita on ebay that sold a few weeks back for $500k... you are not going to be able to do this unless you rent a warehouse otherwise, your neighbors will be up in arms.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:45 AM

23 posts, read 69,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogaMom View Post
I am moving to Las Vegas sometime this year and need a little advice/guidance.

I want to buy a home on a large lot, build a yoga studio (maybe 20x25 with a bathroom) in the backyard and teach private classes - maybe some group classes.

Do any of you know if it is legal to have a home business like this? I am aware that the insurance will be a factor, as well.
Do you plan to register your business name, open a business bank account, advertise in the paper, etc? Or will your clients consist of a handful of friends that stop by every week for a workout and drop you a few bucks here and there?

If you're going to operate in an official business-like capacity, there are a lot of factors. City/county and state business licenses, taxes, and liability insurance, to name a few. It's really not worth the hassle and cost unless you're going to rent a commercial studio and go at it 100%. I just did a city license search for you and the application for a "Health & Fitness Trainer" working from home will cost you $45 plus $200 per year. And then there's the $100 per year state license fee, the cost to register an LLC (~$200) plus the cost of a registered agent (~$75/year) etc. etc.

You can avoid these fees by operating your "yoga studio" as a friendly casual meetup with other like-minded folks. Host the yoga meetup in your home and just require a donation to help maintain the group... maybe $5 a session? You can manage your group and recruit members at a site like Meetup.com. Check out their hiking & outdoors group, they have tons of members! If you become some kind of yoga sensation with plenty of followers, that will be the time to rent a studio and officially setup shop (and hire a business consultant like me! )

I agree that an exisiting casita would be the perfect place to host these meetups. But an outdoor enclosed cabana in your backyard would be a great place too-- although 20x25 is probably pushing it, I'd go for something a little smaller. But there's no law or regulation against friends hanging out in your backyard doing yoga. It's no different than an outdoor barbeque or pool party... much less commotion, actually! Your neighbors won't give it a second thought.

You'll just have deal with air conditioning, restroom needs, and of course a building permit (and possibly community approval) to build the structure. There are some amazing kits out there that would be perfect for you. For example check out the gallery at ModernCabana.com. Nice, huh? But the cost for something like this may be prohibitive, so don't rule out simply working out of your living room, at least while you get started. If you find a home with high ceilings and lots of windows and furnish it appropriately it will have a nice open feel perfect for your meetup.

What price range are you looking at for a home? You might want to look far North to find something affordable with both a large backyard and long driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas