Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 01:33 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times

Advertisements

We have the technology to automate everything right now. It will never happen because humans are stupid.
We have no need to "work" at this point, we just do it because of greed.

I disagree with paying people not to work at this point, because we're not automated.
I disagree with giving people extended amounts of time off work as well. 8 weeks of vacation is crazy.

I have mixed feelings about overtime. I feel like I would be able to make more if I wasn't limited to 40 hours. (Most places wouldn't give overtime if their lives depended on it)
If I could have worked 50-60 hours at my last job in NC, I would have made a lot more money and wouldn't have had to sell all my things.
On the other hand, I think wages would drop if we eliminated overtime.
I don't know about shorter work weeks either. People don't make enough now working 40 hours, how are they going to afford it on less? People are resistant to raising the current wages to a modest 15 an hour. It would have to be even higher to switch to a 30 hour week.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:07 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
No. It shows how sick of the status quo a lot of people are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOWPB View Post
Lol. You'd be hard pressed to pin down Trump on any 1 issue aside from his disdain for foreigners or his belief that he has gorgeous hands.

I can't believe we have millions of people voting for him as we speak. Shows you how uneducated so much of his country is.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:14 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
How exactly do you propose to fund 90% of the population suddenly deciding that they don't want to work? (Which they will if given the opportunity....)
What kind of nonsense site made you believe that? Got a link?

Old 03-10-2016, 05:12 PM

638 posts, read 593,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
What kind of nonsense site made you believe that? Got a link?
It was hyperbole. However, do you seriously believe in a functioning economic system where people will get paid for doing nothing....

If you do then you'd be right to challenge the statement, and if you do, what kind of nonsense site made you believe that? Got a link?

Old 03-10-2016, 06:34 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
It was hyperbole. However, do you seriously believe in a functioning economic system where people will get paid for doing nothing....

If you do then you'd be right to challenge the statement, and if you do, what kind of nonsense site made you believe that? Got a link?
Well perhaps Scandinavia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic..._welfare_model

I would think the coming revolution in automation may make such a system a requirement. We will need to invent new ways of expending labor as production will no longer suffice to fully support the population.

Losing production to off shore may turn out to be a good thing as it goes away as a consumer of labor.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post

I disagree with giving people extended amounts of time off work as well. 8 weeks of vacation is crazy.

I have mixed feelings about overtime.
I get three weeks paid. I would REALLY like to have eight weeks. That way I'm due for a two-week vacation every three months. That seems like an optimal number for me. I have a feeling that when you get to my age, you'll feel the same way about vacations.

I don't bother with overtime. I'll do it if my employer is truly in a bind. But the way I see it, overtime is a negative incentive to force employers to hire enough people to get the job done.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:40 PM

8,408 posts, read 4,570,500 times
I would like 52 weeks paid. I think I am worth it.

At my current union job I get zero paid. None. That goes for sick leave and holiday pay as well. I have nothing to look forward to time off wise. Ever, for as long as I work there.

Yay Unions.

They are amazingly efficient at collecting dues however.

And it's one of the bigger unions in town.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:43 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I get three weeks paid. I would REALLY like to have eight weeks. That way I'm due for a two-week vacation every three months. That seems like an optimal number for me. I have a feeling that when you get to my age, you'll feel the same way about vacations.

I don't bother with overtime. I'll do it if my employer is truly in a bind. But the way I see it, overtime is a negative incentive to force employers to hire enough people to get the job done.

I would love 8 weeks paid (or even 2 weeks paid) I just don't see employers being willing to do without employees for 8 weeks while paying them.

I like having a 40 hour week, BUT, when times are tough, it would be nice to be able to work extra to make ends meet.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:42 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I would like 52 weeks paid. I think I am worth it.
What are you doing to make that happen?

I'm working like a maniac -- when I'm not working at my job, I'm working on houses, working on buying houses, working on renovating houses, and working on making furniture for houses. I'm at the point now where I don't have to work a "job." But it's helpful to the bottom line and I enjoy it. But I don't see myself working at all after a few years -- 52 weeks paid. Paid for by always going the extra mile.

I don't just think I'm worth it. I know I am.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:00 AM

743 posts, read 968,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
What are you doing to make that happen?

I'm working like a maniac -- when I'm not working at my job, I'm working on houses, working on buying houses, working on renovating houses, and working on making furniture for houses. I'm at the point now where I don't have to work a "job." But it's helpful to the bottom line and I enjoy it. But I don't see myself working at all after a few years -- 52 weeks paid. Paid for by always going the extra mile.

I don't just think I'm worth it. I know I am.
...and so many people want a society that punishes over achievement and rewards the sloth...glad I stayed out of this thread.

Last edited by aardogfsu; 03-11-2016 at 06:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: