Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 03:34 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times

Advertisements

AHHH. I see what I did. I meant to exclude suicides and accidentals, but ended up including them.

Either way, 8,000 gun homicides is nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 04:36 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
Police can't pinpoint the cause of the uptick in violent crimes. Edmond has his theories, however.

"It's the influx of people moving into Las Vegas that are really having a lot to do with it," Edmond said.
Uh huh. That's a PC way of calling out the Section 8 trash.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:01 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Uh huh. That's a PC way of calling out the Section 8 trash.
Now there is a logical argument..."the crime rate is going up in Los Angeles and Las Vegas because the Section 8 people are moving to Las Vegas"

Yeah right makes perfect sense...the crime rate in LA goes up when the Section 8 types leave and goes up in LV when the Section 8 types come...yeah right sure...

Old 03-03-2016, 06:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Or we could look at this objectively.

The economic recovery is only helping the top 5% of the country. And all of them are already millionaires. Everyone else is struggling/treading-water/drowning. Desperate people do desperate things -- look at what happened throughout the world in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Almost 100 years later, we're determined to repeat history.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:21 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Or we could look at this objectively.

The economic recovery is only helping the top 5% of the country. And all of them are already millionaires. Everyone else is struggling/treading-water/drowning. Desperate people do desperate things -- look at what happened throughout the world in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Almost 100 years later, we're determined to repeat history.
I am not in the top 5% nor am I struggling/treading-water/drowning. What make you think everyone falls into one of those boxes?

Old 03-03-2016, 06:25 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Now there is a logical argument..."the crime rate is going up in Los Angeles and Las Vegas because the Section 8 people are moving to Las Vegas"

Yeah right makes perfect sense...the crime rate in LA goes up when the Section 8 types leave and goes up in LV when the Section 8 types come...yeah right sure...
Seriously? You want to try to be spiteful with me now?

The crime rate in L.A. has not spiked at the same rate it has in Las Vegas!

It was going down for years, in L.A., before last year, and only went up modestly.

You've been shown repeated "anecdotes" from people on here, as well as anecdotes from Metro and even an explanation from a Metro cop who clearly said:

Quote:
"It's the influx of people moving into Las Vegas that are really having a lot to do with it," Edmond said.
Yet, you still want to come after me for raising the initial point that Section 8 was a big contributing factor. Did I strike a nerve or something?

Old 03-03-2016, 06:27 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

It depends on what crime you are most concerned about. Theft? Meh, not so much. Violent crime? Ya, that's a big one.

To me one would be a deal breaker the other one annoying.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
I am not in the top 5% nor am I struggling/treading-water/drowning. What make you think everyone falls into one of those boxes?
Naturally, there are outliers. Do you know the net worth threshold for the top 5%? We're only talking about one out of every 20 people, after all.

That doesn't stop the fact that large swaths of our population are tanking -- riddled with debt, low-wages, few benefits, no prospects. Such people start looking for scapegoats -- because they're never, ever, ever going to look inward.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:17 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
I make as much as my dad made in the 90s. He had WAAAY more buying power than I do. So, even though I am not broke, I'm not as well off as the previous generation.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I make as much as my dad made in the 90s. He had WAAAY more buying power than I do. So, even though I am not broke, I'm not as well off as the previous generation.
And compared to the person who is working two or three minimum wage, part time gigs to make ends meet, you're doing great. The vast majority of the people I've met who are doing really, really well have no empathy for the minimum-wage, multiple-job workforce. For instance, a great many of my friends from school/back home have no idea how SNAP works, but they're happy to comment about their perception about how SNAP works. That's the big problem.

It's good that you mentioned your dad. Because that's another root cause of problems. (Not your dad. But dads in general.)

The angry white guys who are fueling this latest round of political chaos are the sons of men who lost their family farm, lost their cabinet shop, lost their small hardware store and similar. The suicide rate for these men was off the scale. It was higher in the 1990s than it was during the Great Depression. Suicides were a major cause of death in the agricultural belt. These are men who concluded they were the failures of their family tree -- squandering the legacy of their ancestors and bankrupting the future of their heirs. Their sons believe they were failed by the generations-old social compact. And to a certain extent, they're right. (I don't condone what they propose to do about it. But these people were largely written off by callous CEOs and CFOs.)

It is no surprise therefore that crime is up all over the country. People see the old social order crumbling around them. Some of us are cheering about it. (Yay for the death of monoculture! Good riddance!) And others are donning bedsheets, or committing crimes. Or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas