Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 12:37 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

OP you'll discover that registering your car may be more expensive here than in New Hampshire. Ditto for car insurance. I say this because many people who move here say this is true, and they are surprised.

From the point of view of commuting to work, Las Vegas can be a big place. If you have to commute to the far other side, it can take you quite a while in dense traffic. This is expected in any major metropolitan area, of course, and Las Vegas is no exception. So, I suggest you plan on finding a job prior to finding a permanent place to live.

Best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 12:43 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
One other thing: when you move here, I suggest you and your wife have a good honest no-distractions conversation about some timelines and goals. Moving and changing jobs are 2 of the 5 biggest stressors in life (not to mention marriage). Ahead of time, define what a successful transition to Las Vegas looks like for the two of you, and then measure your progress after 6 months and a year. Ahead of time, have a plan for what to do in case you decide Las Vegas didn't work for you.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:36 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLLCLL View Post
Hi SportyandMisty-

Thank you for the map that is very helpful.

Yes, overall cost of living in NH is much higher then in NV.. The heat in NV I can deal with I have vacationed there at the end of July.. The weather in NH can get to 90 degrees with 100% humidity. Not sure if you have ever experienced 100% humidity, but it can be rough. It seems pretty dry in NV not really humid.. I run my AC here 4-5 months out of a year full time so I know what its like having high electric bills (300 average but can get up to 400 a month, not sure if you pay more?), but on top of that I then have to run my furnace and pay for oil the rest of the year when its winter (6 months, start 2nd week of Oct, and end 2nd week of April). This winter has been really mild so my electric bill has only hit 230$ high, on average it's been 180$ all winter. When I look at the real estate listing sites I can't believe how cheap a house is to rent in Henderson. I just looked online in NH for my area, and the cheapest right now is a 2 bedroom house 980 square feet at 1700$, nothing included. And an apartment in my area that will allow my black lab the cheapest is 1250$ for 758 square feet, nothing included. That's as of right now I just looked at our housing rental site that locals use in my town. For some reason my town hates allowing dogs in any apartments so it's really difficult to find a place that allows for pets.. We have even tried looking for a house to buy in our area and we would have to spend at least 200,000$ min and pay around 5000-6000$ a year in property tax if we wanted a half way decent house. 200,000$ is doable if it wasn't for the insane property tax cost.. You can't find a decent house in our area for less than that. I looked at condo's to even buy in our area, the cheapest is 130,000 then for condo fees its 300$ a month.. Taxes for that condo were 2800$.

I think overall both places have there positive and negatives. I think LV just has more options to choose from then my town in NH. The amount of jobs and rentals I can find in LV blow my town away. You can't find much here for options or opportunities unless you want to drive over an hour to the closest city. And driving that in the winter an take twice as long if you're in the middle of a snow or ice storm.

And as for tires yea, I hate having to buy two sets. When they say all season tires are good for winter they lie.. So my snow tires cost me 1000$, and then I have my summers that ran me around the same. But we have two cars, so two more sets.. I also have to deal with rust, because we have so much salt on our roads it's crazy.

What's it like to register a car in NV? Here in NH when I first bought my Pathfinder it cost me 700$ to register it, then the second year it dropped down to the 600$'s. I'm finally down to the 400's now thank goodness. And we have two cars to register every year thankfully the second car is older than the Pathfinder so it's cheaper.

I spoke to my insurance company and they told me how much my insurance would go up in the LV area which wasn't too bad, some people made me think it would skyrocket. But they assured me it would go up around 50$ total.

From your experience or anyone else what is the average cost of HOA's? Water, Electric, Sewage etc?
Great if you are going to exaggerate about weather in NH I am sure you will be telling people back east that Las Vegas is 125 in the shade too. NH has never had a 90 degree day with 100% humidity. That sort of heat index has been seen like for an hour in a few places in the US and none are near New England. We get it, you think it's hot there but it's not even close to a desert summer in heat. That's as silly an argument as people making a big deal about the rare moments it's colder in Las Vegas than Chicago in winter.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:50 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Great if you are going to exaggerate about weather in NH I am sure you will be telling people back east that Las Vegas is 125 in the shade too. NH has never had a 90 degree day with 100% humidity. That sort of heat index has been seen like for an hour in a few places in the US and none are near New England. We get it, you think it's hot there but it's not even close to a desert summer in heat. That's as silly an argument as people making a big deal about the rare moments it's colder in Las Vegas than Chicago in winter.
Having lived for a couple decades in New England, while obviously he's exaggerating, the underlying argument is not far off. 90 degrees with 85-90% humidity is not uncommon in the summer. Having lived there for years, and now here for a few years where we had 24 days in a row of highs over 105 this past June, I would much rather live there than there. The arid heat, to me anyway, is much more tolerable, and doesn't encumber my outdoor activities. Drop the temp by 15 degrees and increase the humidity by 80%, and I wilt.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:49 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Having lived for a couple decades in New England, while obviously he's exaggerating, the underlying argument is not far off. 90 degrees with 85-90% humidity is not uncommon in the summer. Having lived there for years, and now here for a few years where we had 24 days in a row of highs over 105 this past June, I would much rather live there than there. The arid heat, to me anyway, is much more tolerable, and doesn't encumber my outdoor activities. Drop the temp by 15 degrees and increase the humidity by 80%, and I wilt.
You are saying the same thing he is. The weather you think you experienced there is not that. A hot New England day gets to the 90s and has 90% humidity, but not at the same time. It's just basic physics, it is not possible.

People can certainly have a preference about how humidity feels and maybe you feel better in dry weather, but your body doesn't think the way you do. This is why heat stroke happens so often in the desert, people think without humidity I can do stuff at 2pm like play golf and drink lots of beer and they end up in the ER. A 104 degree day in LV is normal and even with low humidity is like a high 90s day to your body. A mid to high 80s day with humidity in the northeast feels uncomfortable to many, but usually gets to a heat index lower than 95, yet many mistakenly think it's worse than high heat with low humidity which it is not.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:44 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,794 times
Since your thinking of moving to Vegas you may want to read this article regarding what issues there are in the Vegas valley as well as what changes are needed to make it better.
http://lasvegassun.com/news/2016/feb/15/lets-climb-from-the-bottom-to-the-top/#.VsHXUSuTcyU.email

Old 03-05-2016, 12:28 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
007: What a great article. That should definitely be stickied to the top of the Las Vegas thread.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:47 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I don't hate Las Vegas. I don't wish this city any ill. I'm just profoundly disappointed in the average resident. Intellectuals generally find this city to be an awful place to live. It's cheap. There's plenty to do. But almost everything is tailored for the "Reality TV" crowd.

Being surrounded by ignoramuses gets old very, very quickly.

Let's not split too many hairs. You hate living in LV. If that's primarily because the average resident isn't smart enough to your liking, fine, but your posts seem to go beyond that in telling us over and over again how unhappy you are in LV. New posters just need to know to take overly negative and overly positive posts about ANY city with a grain of salt or two.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:56 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Let's not split too many hairs. You hate living in LV. If that's primarily because the average resident isn't smart enough to your liking, fine, but your posts seem to go beyond that in telling us over and over again how unhappy you are in LV. New posters just need to know to take overly negative and overly positive posts about ANY city with a grain of salt or two.
C'mon. Do you consider the term, "Average American" to be a compliment? Or an insult?

I don't know anyone who would feel complimented about being called "an average American." And I ALSO don't know anyone who thinks that the average Las Vegan is anything but inferior to the average American. (And neither group has any idea what "average" means. Not really. Some 55% of all Americans consider themselves "above average." That's just laughable. I'd love to see the same study conducted in Las Vegas. I imagine the response would be more like 75%.)

I can deal with the heat and the fact that this city is essentially an island -- surrounded by sun-blasted dirt instead of salt water. It's the people who are a source of constant annoyance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas