Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:14 AM

901 posts, read 1,898,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Ditto for ensure, insure and assure.
Now I am confused. Witch one is correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 12:39 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
All 3 are words with different meanings.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:46 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Ditto for ensure, insure and assure.
There, they're, their, dear. Don't let it get to you.

As far as bodies buried in the desert- not really a thing. Vegas was off limits for mob hits, and that clay and caliche is a right ***** to dig through. There's a reason Spilotro ended up in a nice Iowa corn field.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:10 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I've been reading people confusing lose/loose for 30 years now. I don't think we can blame texting. Texting is a symptom -- not the chronic illness itself.
Here, here! Their always doing that.

Your right!

Old 03-14-2016, 05:54 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
........ stop it. I hate to see the Queen's English being derogated.......... the misspelt word that does annoy me slightly is loose for lose. My computer has underlined 'misspelt'.......it must be set for American English.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:20 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
If you want to thoroughly annoy the British, remind them that William Shakespeare -- in his day -- sounded more like John Wayne than John Gielgud.

What is called "The American Accent" is the way everyone spoke English until well past the Colonial Period. Then the British spun off into their dialect, which often sounds to my ears like someone trying to speak English with a stick rammed up their [posterior].

Americans didn't shrug off their "British accent." It was the English who decided that non-rhotic speech was more posh (around the turn of the 19th Century), and adopted their "rammed-stick" style of speech. The British just think they've speaking that way the whole time*.

* Much like soccer fans are shocked to learn that their game is the youngest of the football-type sports. Australian rules football came first. Then football. Then soccer. Soccer originally was a rugby/soccer hybrid which split off into "rugger" (rugby) and "soccer." Soccer fans demand that we call their sport "football" for reasons I will never understand.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
If you want to thoroughly annoy the British, remind them that William Shakespeare -- in his day -- sounded more like John Wayne than John Gielgud.

What is called "The American Accent" is the way everyone spoke English until well past the Colonial Period. Then the British spun off into their dialect, which often sounds to my ears like someone trying to speak English with a stick rammed up their [posterior].

Americans didn't shrug off their "British accent." It was the English who decided that non-rhotic speech was more posh (around the turn of the 19th Century), and adopted their "rammed-stick" style of speech. The British just think they've speaking that way the whole time*.

* Much like soccer fans are shocked to learn that their game is the youngest of the football-type sports. Australian rules football came first. Then football. Then soccer. Soccer originally was a rugby/soccer hybrid which split off into "rugger" (rugby) and "soccer." Soccer fans demand that we call their sport "football" for reasons I will never understand.
Well, I guess it's called football in Europe instead of soccer, because the ball is kicked round the playing field with the foot..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyuoUwxCLMs

Old 03-14-2016, 10:07 AM

206 posts, read 182,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
There, they're, their, dear. Don't let it get to you.

As far as bodies buried in the desert- not really a thing. Vegas was off limits for mob hits, and that clay and caliche is a right ***** to dig through. There's a reason Spilotro ended up in a nice Iowa corn field.
So, the Spilotros ended up in Iowa?

Old 03-14-2016, 10:17 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Well, I guess it's called football in Europe instead of soccer, because the ball is kicked round the playing field with the foot..........
Soccer is one of those British "-er" words that is an abbreviation of Association Football. Americans call it soccer because that's what it was called when we were introduced to the sport. By then, we were already building the largest stadiums the world had yet seen. We called these stadiums "bowls." And they were built on college campuses for what was, at the time, the largest spectator sport on Earth -- college football.

By the time FIFA finally rolled around, football was already 50 years old. And the terms "soccer" and "football" were interchangeable until the 1970s. Europeans demanded that their sport be called football -- during one of the great waves of anti-American sentiment.

The Australians have naming rights to the term "football." The USA is next in line (and only by a matter of months). And then finally all those soccer fans -- who are more than 50 years late to the party.

It is very, very hard to find a soccer fan who knows any of this. If they knew this stuff, they would likely be football fans, after all.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Soccer is one of those British "-er" words that is an abbreviation of Association Football. Americans call it soccer because that's what it was called when we were introduced to the sport. By then, we were already building the largest stadiums the world had yet seen. We called these stadiums "bowls." And they were built on college campuses for what was, at the time, the largest spectator sport on Earth -- college football.

By the time FIFA finally rolled around, football was already 50 years old. And the terms "soccer" and "football" were interchangeable until the 1970s. Europeans demanded that their sport be called football -- during one of the great waves of anti-American sentiment.

The Australians have naming rights to the term "football." The USA is next in line (and only by a matter of months). And then finally all those soccer fans -- who are more than 50 years late to the party.

It is very, very hard to find a soccer fan who knows any of this. If they knew this stuff, they would likely be football fans, after all.
Waaaaaal, I have only ever called football, football. Never soccer. May be this has varied in different parts of England, I don't really know.

The Football Association (FA) was formed in England in 1863. The FA Cup is an annual contest to this day. If you had taken the name, say, American Rugby we wouldn't have this confusion.........

Plus, the little I have ever seen of American football, y'all seem to spend more time carrying, and throwing the ball, rather than kicking it with the foot. May be you could call it hand ball to stop any world wide confusion? Just an idea..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: