Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times

Advertisements

Forget everything you know about Las Vegas if all you have done is visited. That's like moving to Orlando because you've been to Disney World.

There is less crime than in Florida. And less "what were these morons thinking" crime. Crime really isn't an issue here, even though it is rising. It is still nowhere near the levels of, say, Miami. Furthermore, there are NO sections of Las Vegas I wouldn't walk through. There are places I'd prefer NOT to walk through. But it's not like Liberty City, where you couldn't pay me to step foot there.

As for pay, unless you're in a union gig, or a professional, pay is low. That's just how it is here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 06:38 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
I thought you had decided, after your last batch of posts here, to stay in Florida since you got a new job? What changed?

There are very good wage comparison sites out there so you can see, based on your particular skill set, what jobs are averaging. I, for one, like Glassdoor, as it has job reviews, as well as salary comparisons.

I moved here with a six-figure job that I kept, replaced it with another six-figure job while here (local company), and am starting a different six-figure job in an entirely new industry next week. It did, however, take me since January 18th when I sent my first resume to land this new job. That is much longer than I've experienced in other parts of the country.

Employers here are a bit of a different breed. From what I've read the labor pool is flaky, but I think it has rubbed off on the hiring personnel as well. I have been amazed at the lack of follow up and professional courtesy afforded by some of the companies in which I had interest.

To give you an idea about the market, I sent out 302 resumes. 190 were to companies who were advertising, the remainder were companies for whom I would have liked to work. I went on 42 interviews, and received 28 job offers. I turned down 27, primarily due to lack of total compensation offered.

The jobs are out there, but be prepared for a long and arduous journey finding the right one for you.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:39 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I never understood why home prices would be high if the economy is booming.
housing is one of the best models of supply and demand. If the economy is booming and thousands of people are moving to the metro every year, eventually, there will be way more prospective buyers than sellers. This drives the "sellers" market way up. When they list a house for sale and on day 2 the realtor already has 5 offers, 2 of them cash, one 50k above asking price and another 2 qualified @ asking price, they certainly are going to lower the cost.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:39 PM

20 posts, read 32,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I much prefer Florida to Las Vegas. I was in Florida for 2 months and Las Vegas for 8 months.

Florida is far cleaner, far friendlier, far more-laid back then Las Vegas.

Las Vegas is entertaining to say the least as there are 100,000 new visitors in town each day which makes it interesting with the variety of people. I do like that element.

The area though is a terrible place to be single. Its a very married city and its filled with large families. I have no idea why people raise families in Vegas as time and time again the state and city is considered to be one of the worst places to raise a family.

The majority of singles are females and the city is the epicenter of leisure and hospitality industry which is a overwhelmingly female industry. It's very rare for men in Las Vegas to be single as they have a massive variety of single women to choose from.

Las Vegas is no mayberry like San Diego. They are of similar size and San Diego had 37 homicides compared to 136 in Las Vegas last year. San Diego is a very-laid back city of content people, Las Vegans are type A, aggressive and high-strung.

Las Vegas has nearly double the violent crime rate of Los Angeles. The police department in Las Vegas has citizen to officer ratio's that are comperable to small towns in the midwest. They are completely overwhelmed with hardly any resources.

I think wages are low for such a large metropolitan area but it also is probubly the cheapest large metropolitan area in America. Where else can you rent a studio for $450 and a newer house for less then $1000 a month.

Wow! Thank you so much! Thank you for being so candid! That was very very informative and straight to the point. Makes me feel content to be in Florida and makes me see that I was sucked into the "illusion" of sparkle that Vegas provides to so many people who also desire to move there. But to those who live there, it's a different story.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:52 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminate7 View Post
certain IT professionals (of which i am one) do well in Vegas. Vegas has the largest datacenter in the world (Switch) there...

Its pretty easy to make 100+ salary there

I like vegas - its has crime but so does Dallas (where crime is also spiking). I like areas of summerlin and henderson - there are some nice family areas
This is true. My dad just retired at 54 after working as an engineer here making 100k+.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:58 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
I lived in southern Florida for several years. I hated every bit of it. The nasty humidity. The random rain storms that can be quite severe. The insane amount of bugs and spiders. Dear baby jesus the spiders. The smell. The natural disasters like hurricanes and tornadoes. The criminally low speed limits. The elderly, soooo many of them. So many. Utility costs and house insurance costs due to the weather and natural disasters.

Out here the heat is pleasant. No sticky humidity. No natural disasters. No bugs. Infrequent rain. Traffic flows pretty well.
NO LAWN FLAMINGOS!!! There's almost no bugs at all. I haven't had a mosquito bite in 3 years. I could, literally, throw a rock from my house and hit the wash, and still no big problems.
In June I don't have to scrape the joined carcasses of fornicating insects in large numbers off my car.

The last time I checked, which was many years ago, rent in most Florida cities is higher than here.
I prefer it here. That being said, I don't care for humans, so I don't do a lot of socialization, so I can't comment on that aspect of either place.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:06 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
To give you an idea about the market, I sent out 302 resumes. 190 were to companies who were advertising, the remainder were companies for whom I would have liked to work. I went on 42 interviews, and received 28 job offers. I turned down 27, primarily due to lack of total compensation offered.
It is also quite possible to find one or two companies that might be a good match, send out one or two resumes, and that's that. I have never job-hunted any other way. (Three distinct careers worth of job hopping.) While I have racked up long stretches with the same company, most of my life has been a series of hopping from one job to another. (I get bored easily and headhunted often.)

We don't know what OP does, or is willing to do. In general, I think job seekers in this city should bend to what this city wants (and therefore pays fairly well). Throw out the professions which pay well everywhere, and there are a few dozen general career types in Las Vegas which pay well. (And not everyone has the chops to be a physician or an actuary. Or sales, for that matter.) So focus on the Las Vegas careers which DO pay well -- bartending, server at a high-end place, sommelier, union trades, and similar.

This is a bad town to have to work minimum-wage retail/fast food. (Granted, there isn't really a good town for that.)

Old 03-30-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I thought you had decided, after your last batch of posts here, to stay in Florida since you got a new job? What changed?

There are very good wage comparison sites out there so you can see, based on your particular skill set, what jobs are averaging. I, for one, like Glassdoor, as it has job reviews, as well as salary comparisons.

I moved here with a six-figure job that I kept, replaced it with another six-figure job while here (local company), and am starting a different six-figure job in an entirely new industry next week. It did, however, take me since January 18th when I sent my first resume to land this new job. That is much longer than I've experienced in other parts of the country.

Employers here are a bit of a different breed. From what I've read the labor pool is flaky, but I think it has rubbed off on the hiring personnel as well. I have been amazed at the lack of follow up and professional courtesy afforded by some of the companies in which I had interest.

The jobs are out there, but be prepared for a long and arduous journey finding the right one for you.
I no longer work there. After working at that place for about two months and traveling an hour each way, I got burned out and the lady that was training me was difficult to work with. She kept trying to make me look bad instead of just communicating with me on any slip ups by e-mail. She'd cc those in power by slamming me instead of just talking to me. I decided to look elsewhere. It was not a good fit. And if I complained to upper management, they sided with her and kicked me in the teeth. And not only that, they promised me one thing in the interview and then they changed it up after I got settled in. It was a bait and switch. I left because I was so disgusted. And I'm sending out resumes left and right now to see what else I can find closer to home. I'm feisty so I will keep trying! I believe there is a job out there that is a good fit. I just have to keep the faith.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It is also quite possible to find one or two companies that might be a good match, send out one or two resumes, and that's that. I have never job-hunted any other way. (Three distinct careers worth of job hopping.) While I have racked up long stretches with the same company, most of my life has been a series of hopping from one job to another. (I get bored easily and headhunted often.)

We don't know what OP does, or is willing to do. In general, I think job seekers in this city should bend to what this city wants (and therefore pays fairly well). Throw out the professions which pay well everywhere, and there are a few dozen general career types in Las Vegas which pay well. (And not everyone has the chops to be a physician or an actuary. Or sales, for that matter.) So focus on the Las Vegas careers which DO pay well -- bartending, server at a high-end place, sommelier, union trades, and similar.

This is a bad town to have to work minimum-wage retail/fast food. (Granted, there isn't really a good town for that.)
Thank you. I have a history of job hopping too when I get bored easily as well. I don't like it but when I see no advancement and paint drying looks more appealing, I feel it's time to leave. I'm curious as to how much a legal secretary makes in Vegas. Do you know? I'm just curious.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I lived in southern Florida for several years. I hated every bit of it. The nasty humidity. The random rain storms that can be quite severe. The insane amount of bugs and spiders. Dear baby jesus the spiders. The smell. The natural disasters like hurricanes and tornadoes. The criminally low speed limits. The elderly, soooo many of them. So many. Utility costs and house insurance costs due to the weather and natural disasters.

Out here the heat is pleasant. No sticky humidity. No natural disasters. No bugs. Infrequent rain. Traffic flows pretty well.
NO LAWN FLAMINGOS!!! There's almost no bugs at all. I haven't had a mosquito bite in 3 years. I could, literally, throw a rock from my house and hit the wash, and still no big problems.
In June I don't have to scrape the joined carcasses of fornicating insects in large numbers off my car.

The last time I checked, which was many years ago, rent in most Florida cities is higher than here.
I prefer it here. That being said, I don't care for humans, so I don't do a lot of socialization, so I can't comment on that aspect of either place.
Thank you for your honesty! And I had a good laugh! You're a great writer! And what you said is true for the most part.

But mind you, in all fairness to Florida, I love the beautiful beaches fifteen minutes away to relax at and watch the ocean waves. The palm trees are quite beautiful and the tropical setting is quite pretty. The hot weather doesn't bother me all that much. We have some cold spells during the winter months too. Florida has its pros and cons like all places. But those bugs, yeah I agree! I hate bugs!!! And I hate spiders!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: