Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 04:08 AM

31 posts, read 77,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas taco View Post
some cities in texas they run stings where they will have an ambulance of fire truck drive with the lights and siren on followed by police cars...dont pull over for the ambulance or fire truck you will be pulled over by the police
I wouldn't call it a "sting", but when I worked in EMS and the police saw we were going to a call, they would sometimes pull in behind us and give tickets to people who didn't yield. It was fantastic because driving with lights and sirens is dangerous enough without people who don't know how to (or don't want to) respond to an emergency vehicle.

Please, please, please pull to the right and stop when you see an emergency vehicle with lights/sirens on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 04:03 PM

85 posts, read 63,218 times
I use common sense. If the ambulance is heading in the opposite direction as I am, and they're in the far left lane, obviously they are not going to be making a left turn in front of me. They're in position to make a right turn away from me. I'm not going to change my driving.

If they are behind me, I will get out of their way.

If they are approaching a light, I will stop. If I am at a red light that turns green, I'll stay put until I see where they are going. Seeing people go through the light while the ambulance has to wait irks me to no end.

I'm not going to slow down and inconvenience myself if I'm not going to be impeding them. If i am going to impede them then I will do whatever I can to get out of the way because I would like people to extend me the same courtesy if I ever need an ambulance.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:03 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,096 times
The problem with some of the new cars these days is the amount of noise insulation they have and how loud people listen to their car audio systems. I used a lot of sound dampening material (dynamat with really thin foam insulation) in my truck to quiet down road noise and it also works well as extra insulation. Sometimes I cant even hear the fire truck or ambulance until I actually see them coming with the flashing lights. But I try to pull over to the right as soon as possible to let them pass.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:42 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Allen View Post
I use common sense. If the ambulance is heading in the opposite direction as I am, and they're in the far left lane, obviously they are not going to be making a left turn in front of me. They're in position to make a right turn away from me. I'm not going to change my driving.

If they are behind me, I will get out of their way.

If they are approaching a light, I will stop. If I am at a red light that turns green, I'll stay put until I see where they are going. Seeing people go through the light while the ambulance has to wait irks me to no end.

I'm not going to slow down and inconvenience myself if I'm not going to be impeding them. If i am going to impede them then I will do whatever I can to get out of the way because I would like people to extend me the same courtesy if I ever need an ambulance.
And there you have it.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:00 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,195 times
I don't see any problem with his response. That's nearly letter of the law anyways. If there is a hard median between you and the emergency vehicle you legally do not need to pull to the right. If it's an open road then yes legally you do need to pull to the right, but it's unlikely they will pull a turn in the middle of an undivided road anyways.

Generally most people I see pull to the right on roads. The freeway I do often see people not pull over, which I assume they are not paying enough attention.

"Full" intersections are usually a cluster when an emergency vehicle approaches, but not sure there is much that can be done about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
And there you have it.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:15 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
The common sense approach I use is envisioning that there is a baby inside that ambulance that needs to get to the hospital, or it will die. I will do everything to get out of the ambulance's way, and pull over to right wherever it is coming from, so as to allow the driver to make any move possible to get there as quickly as possible.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:41 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,957 times
What boils my blood most is when people honk their horn and overtake you because they have no f'n clue there is an emergency vehicle approaching from behind

If a car pulls over to the right and safely comes to a stop, it might just be because they are obeying the law

Old 04-03-2016, 10:43 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas taco View Post
some cities in texas they run stings where they will have an ambulance of fire truck drive with the lights and siren on followed by police cars...dont pull over for the ambulance or fire truck you will be pulled over by the police
About 25% of the drivers here would get a ticket

Old 04-03-2016, 10:58 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
In our State, and several others I know, an Ambulance or a Fire truck, do not have the right of way. People make room for them because that's what your supposed to do out of courtesy. You move, if you have room and are driving, and if at a light and stopped, and can't move, you stay stopped, and let the emergency vehicle pick their way around you. That's what they want you to do.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:52 PM

85 posts, read 63,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
The common sense approach I use is envisioning that there is a baby inside that ambulance that needs to get to the hospital, or it will die. I will do everything to get out of the ambulance's way, and pull over to right wherever it is coming from, so as to allow the driver to make any move possible to get there as quickly as possible.
That is an excellent way to get rear ended. People rubbernecking the passing ambulance not paying any attention to your car, that is now at a dead stop int he middle of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas