Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:01 AM

2,832 posts, read 4,488,102 times

Advertisements

we have a plethora of thrift stores (too many, imo). decent? idk about that.

building 160
https://www.facebook.com/Building-16...=page_internal

attic fanatics
https://www.facebook.com/AtticFanaticsPahrump/

i know which ones are have been here a while, but i couldn't tell you if they are good or not. i will ask around & see if anyone has a favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 10:39 AM

564 posts, read 446,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
The only Starbucks they have is in the local grocery store.
Thank God! Still, one too many. LOL

Old 03-01-2017, 05:46 PM

23 posts, read 57,018 times
I'm looking at a move to either Pahrump, NV or Wickenburg, AZ this summer, and am a solar nut as far as building gadgets for fun and to actually use (water heaters, generators, etc.). I'm in Reno. NV now but have had trouble with vandals, and theft of things left in the back yard when away, on travel, etc.

Pahrump looks like a very open place with few trees so that any equipment out in a back yard would be very visible. For current residents, do you have any problems with theft or vandalism on your property (ie. any more than what might be considered normal for a town the size of Pahrump)? Is there any significant gang activity or problems of that sort?

From various forums I've read it looks like people in Pahrump are generally tolerant of other people doing their thing and leave them alone for the most part (a good thing). My neighbors here think I'm some sort of weirdo because I'm always out in the yard fooling around with mirrors and collectors and things like that, which is a harmless hobby.

Lastly, any recent updates on the high-speed internet situation in Pahrump? Is that available easily (eg. Cox, Charter, or one of the other big companies)?

Old 03-01-2017, 09:23 PM

gang activity in pahrump? nah, if there are gangs here it is news to me.

we are very much a live & let live town. are there thefts? sure, just like any other town. is it prevalent? meh, depends on where you live in town. in 10 yrs, we had 1 theft - binoculars stolen out of an unlocked vehicle.

there are no big companies in pahrump for high speed internet. we have valley electric (our local electric company) offering broadband for now, they are planning to get fiber to the home in the next 2 yrs. or rise broadband, which hasn't gotten good reviews by my co-workers.

Valley Communications Association
Rise Broadband | Fast, Reliable Wireless Internet

Old 03-02-2017, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the quick reply cre8lite. I lived in Henderson from 9/14 to 9/15 but never made it out to Pahrump (was there once in 1986 for a day trip but don't remember much). Sounds like the broadband situation is marginal, but at least something is available. I'll have to make a trip down in the next couple of months and check the place out. 5x the population of Wickenburg, AZ, about the same distance from a big airport, and I assume lots of sun.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:08 PM

564 posts, read 446,684 times
We moved recently from our home in the central Rockies where, at 9000' elevation, not much by way of services was available. We signed on with Mesanetworks, now Rise, many years ago. We got good internet service from them and, later, VoIP for phone service. You had to have line of sight to a particular mountain, which we had. But they hesitated to sign us up as we were a few miles outside what they considered their max range. However, they agreed to set us up and we had zero difficulty. In fact, we were even able to use our phone service to send and receive faxes with 100% success, even though that was supposed to be an iffy thing.

And customer service was excellent. There were infrequent, usually weather related, losses of internet service, but I only remember one brief period where phone service was interrupted.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:09 PM

Cox, on their website, show that they offer cable TV and high speed internet in Pahrump (not sure if I can post links here, but will try ... I Googled "cable TV Pahrump NV"):

Cox Cable in Pahrump, NV | Get Cox Bundle Deals in Pahrump

I had Cox in Henderson, but sometimes these big companies have slick search engine trickery to display web pages like that above and they really are just lead-ins to get you to call. But if is legit it looks like they have made it to Pahrump. I had good luck with them in Henderson in 2014-15.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:13 PM

trust me, cox does NOT exist here. i just called the phone # listed on that webpage, which tells you to call cox at a different phone # than what is listed. the tech that i spoke to confirmed cox does NOT offer service in pahrump.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:24 PM

Ah ... so just a trick by Cox to get people to call. I suspected that (car dealers pull this stunt all the time). On another thread in this CityData Pahrump section a poster (CarlsbadJames in the "Looking at homes/land in Pahrump" topic) said he had Cox cable and internet in Pahrump but it was spotty, but that post was from Oct. 2015:

"I have cox cable/internet at my place now and even it is spotty. So maybe satellite will be much better."

Maybe they came and left, but sounds like there are at least a couple of viable options, and I do have a good mobile hotspot with my cell phone if AT&T have any signal out there. So should be able to cover the bases one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas