Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:14 AM

169 posts, read 186,808 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking to rent a place in/around Summerlin for about $1.2k/mo and I see a lot of great options. Most of these are houses, but some are apartments. I wonder, what would be the pros and cons of renting either one? The apartments look much nicer than houses, and the complex/community looks fancy, and many apts are just as big (in sq feet) as houses, but obviously a house would be more privacy. Anything else that I need to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 02:30 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,516 times
I went from renting an apartment, to renting a room out of a house. I would much rather live in a house rather than an apartment. If you live on a ground floor, you will have noise issues from your neighbor above. If you live on the top floor, you will have endless stairs. Even in the top floor, you might have loud neighbors beside you. You also are not close to your car. If you neighbor brings in roaches, you now have them to in an apartment. You have more storage in a house. I could go on and on. Take the house, even if the apartment looks nicer.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:31 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
If I never have to live in an apartment it will be too soon. I would rather go to a trailer than an apartment. My apartment here was nice, and my utilities were almost nothing, it wasn't worth shared parking space and shared walls. The neighbor on my bedroom side had a boombox right against the wall my headboard was against. Made sleeping sooooooo awesome....
My upstairs neighbor was training, extremely hard, for the vacuum cleaning Olympics. I do not know what they did to mess up the carpets so bad, but that little woman vacuumed no less than 3 hours a day. 1100sq ft apartment.
My nice new truck got a 17 inch gouge on the fender from some kid's bike handlebars.
My assigned parking space was always being taken by someone who didn't even live there.

My biggest problem with my house is it's too big. Even when the neighbor's dog barks at night, I can't hear it over my bedside fan. No one has taken my parking spot. Kids don't ride their bikes next to my cars. A house is hands down better than an apartment.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:08 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
I think an apt is a good thing if you are not home very much. If you only come home to eat, sleep and leave again. Busy lives.
A house is so much better because of no shared walls, more space and probably better insulated like EA said above.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:02 AM

38 posts, read 35,850 times
This is a great post for me. I am going to be in the same situation as the OP. When I was last in LV, I stopped into an apartment community (I think it was an Ovation property) and they quoted me 1050 or 1150 for a one bedroom. I am seeing lots of houses for 1050 to 1250 with 2-3 bedrooms (1100 sf to 1400 sf) and a 2 car garage. I know utilities will be more. How much more I don't know and if anyone wants to educate me, feel free. I am an information sponge now. But the house could help out with some of my concerns: Security for my car and a motorcycle that I will have, no adjacent walls with neighbors and other typical apartment issues. Besides, i will get more space and garage parking for not that much more money (depending on how utilities pan out) and maybe a small backyard (don't need much) that I can throw a cheap grill up. I am thinking that it is a no-brainer, but I may find out I am wrong when I get there....we will see. PS: I know there are cheaper apartments around but I also know you get what you pay for...and since I am moving to a new area, I am looking for at least a modicum of security...so a cheap place might be sketchy...

Old 04-14-2016, 09:13 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
I don't really think this is a Vegas-specific question...it's really a personal one.

Apartments are often a bit cheaper, if not in actual rent then in utilities and such. However, you have to worry about sharing walls, sharing parking spaces, dealing with more nosy (or noisy) neighbors, etc. You don't have to worry about lawn maintenance, which is nice. Some offer some pretty sweet amenities.

I've always preferred single-family residents, though. The increased cost and work (yard-wise) are worth the extra privacy to me. It's really a personal thing, though.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:14 AM

38 posts, read 35,850 times
Just wondering...is their any maintenance to "desert landscaping"?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:46 AM

84 posts, read 92,695 times
Don't forget about repairs in a house.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:47 AM

15,839 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Generally, if your renting a house, the LL is paying for repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse View Post
Don't forget about repairs in a house.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:36 PM

561 posts, read 681,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
Just wondering...is their any maintenance to "desert landscaping"?
In true desert landscaping, as in Joshua Trees, yucca plants, and tumbleweeds? No. In urban desert-like landscaping? Absolutely. Weeds grow. Leaves blow into your yard and sink into the crevices in the rocks, and good luck using a rake in rock landscaping. The rocks eventually sink into the dirt and have to be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas