Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:01 PM

414 posts, read 359,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I am not sure what you thought could happen. The only scam I know that would impact a tenant is a false rental. And those are not a thing that happens in nicer areas. I have never seen one.
Aside from a fake lease scam, we were worried about living near a squatter home and the associated problems. We just had a weekend to find a place coming from the east coast, so we couldn't research the surroundings, but now that we live here we'll have more time to perform the requisite research. Sounds like if we do our homework for our next rental then we should be fine. Thanks for the insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 04:09 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Time to reanimate this thread. Another new squatter article.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/ma...o-live-near-a/

They need a law that if a house is in delinquency and have been abandoned for more than six months, and the bank holding the note hasn't acted to foreclose, the county can take ownership, nuke the title clear, and auction it off. There still seem to be a lot of properties stuck in limbo, and the need to be cycled out.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:24 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Why I live in a guard gated HOA. Squatters AREN'T getting in here. For some these are their first homes and they leave for the summer to go back to their second homes. They all hire someone to watch their homes when gone.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:51 PM

Squatters generally aren't in houses with active owners (a though it has happened.) This started as an artifact if the '08 bust, when a lot of owners walked away from hopelessly underwater houses where they couldn't afford the mortgage. The houses sat empty, and the low life class figured out the could just move in and live for free.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:15 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,886 times
I dealt with a squatter problem multiple times in the house next door to my own. I do not live in a sketchy neighborhood. The owners of the property simply walked away and moved to California. They owned multiple properties, and still own multiple properties and simply decided they weren't going to pay the mortgage on this one anymore("strategic default").

They had all utilities to the property cut and hired no one to perform maintenance or check on the house. Over the course of nearly 2 years I had 5 sets of squatters tossed out of this house. I think the big giveaways to the squatters were the dead landscaping and piled up newspapers and flyers and lack of electricity at night. Once the garage door was broken into, and remained visibly so, this seemed to accelerate the issue.

One of the problems is that Metro is not enforcing the laws that are on the books. In all occasions but one, Metro simply told the squatters to vacate the property - never arrested anyone - never even put them in handcuffs.

The owners of this home made one final appearance when the property finally turned over with the bank. I had a few choice words to say to these people as a going away present.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:43 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,005 times
If you think it's bad in Las Vegas consider that LA's homeless population will soon top 58k. San Francisco has so many homeless that you have to do the "Bum step" in order to walk down the streets. I say give these people bus tickets to San Fran where they actually pay people to be homeless.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:36 AM

As I stated above, this is a symptom of allowing properties to stay in limbo, with essentially no owner. There needs to be a process to get them identified as such, auctioned off, and back to being properly occupied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I dealt with a squatter problem multiple times in the house next door to my own. I do not live in a sketchy neighborhood. The owners of the property simply walked away and moved to California. They owned multiple properties, and still own multiple properties and simply decided they weren't going to pay the mortgage on this one anymore("strategic default").

They had all utilities to the property cut and hired no one to perform maintenance or check on the house. Over the course of nearly 2 years I had 5 sets of squatters tossed out of this house. I think the big giveaways to the squatters were the dead landscaping and piled up newspapers and flyers and lack of electricity at night. Once the garage door was broken into, and remained visibly so, this seemed to accelerate the issue.

One of the problems is that Metro is not enforcing the laws that are on the books. In all occasions but one, Metro simply told the squatters to vacate the property - never arrested anyone - never even put them in handcuffs.

The owners of this home made one final appearance when the property finally turned over with the bank. I had a few choice words to say to these people as a going away present.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:54 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
As I stated above, this is a symptom of allowing properties to stay in limbo, with essentially no owner. There needs to be a process to get them identified as such, auctioned off, and back to being properly occupied.
It is a difficult problem. The system will eventually foreclose but the process can take a very long time. And that assumes the property tax is not being paid. In some cases the banks have actually been paying the taxes even though they will not foreclose. And a house owned outright may have to go through a long probate process particularly if their are no heirs to push it.

What would actually do some good is a regulation that a home be maintained with power and water on. Welfare for property. But any such system would be prone to abuse. The municipality could get its money back with a high priority lien. And of course the property right thing would be a huge issue in libertarian Nevada.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:40 PM

I realize the issues in doing this currently, and that this would need a change to the state law. But that should be done. I think it should be a major priority to get these houses out of limbo, and into the hands of real owners, and not just try to band aid the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is a difficult problem. The system will eventually foreclose but the process can take a very long time. And that assumes the property tax is not being paid. In some cases the banks have actually been paying the taxes even though they will not foreclose. And a house owned outright may have to go through a long probate process particularly if their are no heirs to push it.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:50 PM

7 posts, read 7,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I realize the issues in doing this currently, and that this would need a change to the state law. But that should be done. I think it should be a major priority to get these houses out of limbo, and into the hands of real owners, and not just try to band aid the problem.

Aren't the banks holding on to these properties for almost a decade now in order to cause artificial favorable market growth since the recession? I also see lots of cash deals going to out of state investors and entire blocks and neighborhoods are turning over into rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas