Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 06:37 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,041,392 times

Advertisements

My mentor used to say that every time it was about to rain, every bone that he had broken in his youth would remind him of that fact.

OP, don't let your doctor off the hook with a fibromyalgia dx without him trying to identify the underlying cause. They slapped fibromyalgia on my mom and it turned out that the fibromyalgia was secondary to MS. The MS killed her because it went untreated ( they only treated the pain that they diagnosed as fibromyalgia) for several years.

Of course, a dry climate, some yoga, and an anti-inflammatory diet are definitely good. I wish you the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 06:44 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,479,482 times
OP, I would definately try a dryer climate. Not that you will feel great, maybe not even good. But I lived my 20s-40s in Southern CA (dry but less than here) and at 46 I moved to MN. Felt like someone kicked my spine up and down. Moved like a really old lady, morning "stiffness" was horrible. Do I feel great here? No Good? Not usually. But it turns out I have multiple auto immune conditions, all inflammatory mainly with respect to barometric pressure changes and dampness. I would not want to be just this side of Canada these days.
And, I had the Fibro dx for years.

Best of Luck, keep in mind that anywhere in the SW would be very dry for you.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:13 AM

654 posts, read 1,318,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart9399 View Post
Those of us who suffer from degenerative arthritis can do better with warm dry weather.

More importantly (for me, at least) is the phenomenon that many experience increased joint pain with changes of barometric pressure; e.g, before rain storms. Fortunately, there are far fewer rain storms in Nevada than in most other places.
This.

The statement above is a great description. My body starts to ache & my ankle starts to throb when the barometric pressure drops (had to have my right ankle rebuilt years ago so it's arthritic).

Las Vegas is far better for me than Chicago (where I previously lived). The barometric pressure here is very stable in general, which has helped minimize any pain.

Doctors initially thought I had fibromyalgia; upon deeper inspection, my condition was narrowed down to AS (Ankylosing Spondylitis - some similarities). I also have psoriatic arthritis (similar to rheumatoid arthritis except localized to certain areas rather than symmetrical). The warm dry weather here ought to be beneficial for any similar kind of condition.

Some additional info for those who suffer similar symptoms: Two additional life changes I've made that have been very beneficial (1) Regular exercise & (2) Switching to a ketogenic diet. After 15+ years of chronic pain, I've been pain-free for over a year now (bad weather excepted) & feel 20 years younger. My exercise includes swimming, which works great since there is no impact & it loosens stiff joints. I try to keep most of my exercise non-impact based (i.e. swimming, rowing machine, bike, elliptical) & that seems to have helped.

The exercise had helped somewhat, but what really put me over the top was the ketogenic diet. Cutting out sugars & most carbs has made a world of difference, so rarely do I have inflammation any more ... blood sugar remains level, I don't get inflammation & no more chronic pain. Hope this helps someone out there ...

Old 06-09-2016, 05:27 PM

885 posts, read 1,158,374 times
Thank you everyone.

I've had every test and blood work test done know to man- all negative. Fibromyalgia has no test and is diagnosed by eliminating everything else.

I'm also on a gluten free, semi paleo diet. I'm down to eating just air- nothing else allowed- or so it seems.

Take all kinds of supplements also.

I do feel slightly better but also could be the nicer weather here in NY. I do feel better with the bright sunny, warm days even up here, so I guess that's a preview. I also know when a storm is coming- feel terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: