Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:48 PM

561 posts, read 680,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
Agree. This is the way I have always understood it to be. Just recently, the County also confirmed this.
If the county owns them, is the county's responsibility. If the City owns them, it's the city's responsibly. It gets a little tricky when the property owner owns the sidewalks, but has granted an easement to the county to install / maintain the sidewalls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 01:11 PM

413 posts, read 1,588,322 times
Here's the reason I ask this question. I live in a gated, walled community bordered by 4 public streets. There is a homeless guy with his requisite 8-10 shopping carts of crap living right across the street from the entrance to our community. His train of carts is in the street and he lives on the sidewalk. I am only a year in the community but long-time residents have told me they have written,called and emailed the County (we are in unincorporated Clark County) to have this guy removed. No joy. The cops come, roust him and he moves for a period of time to a less annoying spot but he always returns. He is well-behaved and doesn't harass, or panhandle. He's just an embarrassment and an eyesore.
Anyway, there is a section of the Clark County municipal code that prohibits vagrancy and is very specific:
Sec 12.32.020(k):

Lies or sleeps on any street, sidewalk or alley or sleeps or lodges in any building or structure, or automobile or other vehicle without owning the same or without permission of the owner or person entitled to possession of same, or sleeps in any vacant lot or public ground.

Hence my question of ownership of the sidewalks. Clark County owns the sidewalks and the streets and this guy is clearly violating the above section of the code. Since I'm relatively new in the community, I'm not sure if a legal remedy has been sought but before I proceed down this path, I thought I might make sure I'm on sound legal footing. Weather the County will do anything even though this is a clear violation of the statute remains to be seen.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:52 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Since the guy, by your own words, isn't bothering anyone and is just an "eyesore ", you should thank the Good Dude that you are not in that position, and stop thinking of fellow human beings as eyesores.

I'm not saying that having a homeless person in near proximity is something that is desirable. There is an organization called " Straight From the Streets" here in town that might be able to both help him, and get him off your block. A simple google search will produce the phone number.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by NLVgal; 06-01-2016 at 05:06 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 06:17 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,625 times
Quote:
He is well-behaved and doesn't harass, or panhandle. He's just an embarrassment and an eyesore.
Do you know his story? Hard times transform people, not just booze, drugs, and mental illness. I don't know enough to judge, but losing one's dignity and all one worked to achieve is probably more embarrassing and shameful for him than you.

Good advice from NLVgal: contact a shelter or charity for homelessness--the guy isn't hurting you or the sidewalk.

If you find an organization to work with the person, I would donate a few hundred dollars to them to cover their expenses.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:03 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
Quote:
losing one's dignity and all one worked to achieve is probably more embarrassing and shameful for him than you.
The term for this is 'psychological projection'. You are quite right that you don't know enough to judge.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The term for this is 'psychological projection'. You are quite right that you don't know enough to judge.
Please let me clarify: compassion and charity are reasonable alternatives to punitive measures.

The insulting affirmation of what I already stated is unnecessary.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:27 PM

413 posts, read 1,588,322 times
@NLVGal: Let me re-phrase my statement. His train of shopping carts is an eyesore. @WVREDLEG: As heartless as it may seem, his backstory does not concern me. I'm trying to preserve a neighborhood and situations like this are a precursor to neighborhood blight. As I understand it, he has been approached by numerous organizations intent on helping him. He has refused all help.
It's easy to be critical when it doesn't affect you. Let's move him to your neighborhood then get back to me.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
@WVREDLEG: As heartless as it may seem, his backstory does not concern me. I'm trying to preserve a neighborhood and situations like this are a precursor to neighborhood blight. As I understand it, he has been approached by numerous organizations intent on helping him. He has refused all help.
It's easy to be critical when it doesn't affect you. Let's move him to your neighborhood then get back to me.
Aww, come on!! It affects everyone, not just you.

We already deal with homelessness in my neighborhood, with varying degrees of effectiveness. Your situation is neither special or unique to YOU, so pump the brakes and take a deep breath. I don't want homeless people sleeping in our parks or on anyone's sidewalks, and I sure as hell don't support enabling addictions through handing over cash to a homeless person.

I don't dispute your freedom to pursue a legal/punitive remedy. Nothing in either of my earlier posts offer anything but friendly advice. You don't want the advice, so leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas