U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 08:55 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,173,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I researched the idea of teaching in CCSD extensively, mainly because they were hiring a lot of teachers, but also because I have friends in LV and family not far.

I was told that it's just as difficult to get a job in the "better schools" and you need connection, just as it is where I am currently. Most likely, I would end up in North Las Vegas, which to me, didn't seem as "bad" as the "bad" schools where I am currently, but still looked challenging. Teachers max out at a salary that is still quite below the starting salary for new grads where I am now. But the cost of living is of course lower. However, from talking to my friends who live there, it is still rather difficult for teachers to make ends meet, especially with entry level salaries and even for those who are at the top end, it's still rather hard to buy a home on a 50K salary without a partner.

CCSD limits how much service credit they will give to new teachers so you will not get credit for even 10 of your 20 year teaching history.

But for me, here was the deal breaker. I don't know about New Mexico, but Nevada teachers do not pay in to SS. That's ok if you are young and don't have a lot of work history. But if the OP is 50 and you have been paying into SS most of this time, you will not recoup all of it because of the 1984 SS Windfall act. You must research this very carefully, especially if you are married or were married for a significant number of years because this will have a HUGE impact on your ability to retire.In most other states, teachers are eligible for SS and they get either some sort of 401K or a state pension or a 403B, but they get both. Las Vegas teachers do pay for and get medicare, but not Social Security, which again, is ok for young teachers because they will have time to obtain enough service credit to get a significant portion of that pension, but if you are 50, you are not going to be working for the next 30 years and you will have to forfeit some of the money/credit that you already paid into the SS system. It may or may not impact your divorce agreement with your ex.
This is a great post. Good info to think about.
I know I will probably not get a "top-notch" school at this point in the game. But I've never taught at one of those in almost 20 yrs. so it's no big deal. I have been staying away from those "toughest" schools though. Just googled a few of them and got some scary news bulletins. "Challenging" is accurate. I'm used to that. But I'm not used to "challenging" at such a large (3000 student) high school.
I am not expecting social security. Paid into pensions my whole teaching career and I'm vested. So no biggie there.
Had a phone interview a few days ago. Went very, very well. Not as many calls from schools overall as I would have liked though. It's kind of like online dating!
We'll see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or