Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support public financing to build a stadium for the Raiders
Yes 33 27.05%
No 89 72.95%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 01:17 PM

452 posts, read 335,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Brothels? Prostitution is illegal in Las Vegas and all of Clark County.

We are known for much more than gambling and brothels.
Remember Lamar Odom's scandal? All you heard on the news outlets was that he was at a brothel near Las Vegas over and over and over. Doesn't help Vegas's image
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 01:19 PM

452 posts, read 335,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
I've wondered if that poster even lives in Las Vegas based on other posts. I think that comment pushed me over the top towards no. Nobody that lives in Las Vegas would make such a ridiculous comment.
Continue with your personal attacks, shows your a true "journalist" as you say you are

Old 09-16-2016, 01:33 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,285,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
Remember Lamar Odom's scandal? All you heard on the news outlets was that he was at a brothel near Las Vegas over and over and over. Doesn't help Vegas's image
Just lack of reading comprehension on the part of some. It did not even occur in Pahrump but in Nye County outside of Pahrump. It is something over 40 miles from Las Vegas. You would also claim a thing that went down in Gary Indiana was "near Chicago" or in Newark NJ was "near NYC"?

Old 09-16-2016, 02:36 PM

529 posts, read 510,889 times
Quote:
Continue with your personal attacks, shows your a true "journalist" as you say you are
That is hardly a personal attack. It is an observation based on your posts that are often inaccurate that I've corrected numerous times in this thread and others.

FWIW I don't think you are a troll. You don't seem to care how much it costs taxpayers to bring pro sports to Las Vegas. There is nothing wrong with that position. I only take exception to all of the misinformation I have to correct from your posts. The only question is whether your inaccurate statements are intentional.

You are far from the only supporter of the current stadium proposal in this forum. The poll shows that number to be around 28%. You don't see anybody else getting corrected over and over again. That is why you are facing this backlash and others with your point of view are not.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:20 PM

251 posts, read 168,441 times
A viable business pays its own way.

So No thanks

Old 09-16-2016, 03:48 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,285,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondutch View Post
A viable business pays its own way.

So No thanks

You do not understand how the Strip works. It may well pay its own way a couple of times over...but the profits flow through all the varied endeavors on the strip not just through the stadium. So you finance it with a small hit on each of those establishments via the room or sales tax.

Whether the stadium shows a profit is not the driver it is how the strip and downtown make out from it.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:51 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,266,864 times
Hence, "they budged" by extending the monorail to the developers preferred 62 acres stadium location near Mandalay Bay. Then we budged and approved the $750M they asked for. We were concerned about the cost of infrastructure in this area knowing that the study for the Cashman Center was already cleared as the best choice. It had the supporting infrastructure already in place. The roads wouldn't get near as clogged. It also had approved budgeting already in place for multiple roadway projects in this area thus not costing us as much as to put the stadium at the south end of the Strip. And loads of development is happening near this area with the Downtown Project, Fremont St, Main St and The Arts District, the new UNLV Medical School and the expanded Medical District. They want to put it in the heart where it's all improving and happening.

However, at that end of the Strip in their preferred location puts the stadium near the main UNLV campus so they sweetened the pot with the monorail. No one said that publicly though. The other public benefit that has been alluded too is coupling the stadium deal with UNLV football bringing in not only the NFL but more college football sports fans at a higher level. Plus what it may potentially due to elevate this area around the stadium and the University campus with further development. In recent articles there has been a hint at a desire to develop "Midtown" Las Vegas. From the article's description I understand this as the area around Tropicana and the University. Side note, using 'Midtown' in their article reminds me of Manhattan. MGM properties have also been tinkering with the paid parking thing and closing down portions of their properties for renovations such as bringing in the NoMad Hotel in the Monte Carlo which is by NYNY.

This is a big money deal by the movers and shakers. The main thing they're driving home in their press releases is it's about tourism innovation which is the major economic industry in this region. Obviously, they don't care as much about public opinion because they realize it's a transient town. The people aren't going to mobilize and get out there and protest a hypothetical hike in a room rate tax for tourists, which would only be created to cover the cost of the stadium. Otherwise, it's nonexistent and wouldn't make a difference to the public at all.

These are my observations fwiw.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,280,653 times
Quote:
I think most Americans know that there are no legal brothels in the city of LV. And while it would be possible for many people to have heard about Lamar Odom's trouble, the only people I can imagine investing much time in his travails are followers of the Kardashians and a few NBA/Lakers fans. Outside of Las Vegas, the situation was mostly covered by supermarket tabloids, a couple of ESPN reporters who are friends of the retired Odom (e.g. Stephen A. Smith), and those tabloid-style TV shows that are all-Kardashians all the time. The same ones that followed Kim Kardashian's 70-some day "marriage" to that other NBA player I bet few could even name now.

There's no way Odom's overdose hurt Las Vegas.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 09-16-2016 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-16-2016, 08:56 PM

589 posts, read 389,746 times
i wont go to las vegas and my friends wont go to vegas either because of Lamar.............................hahahaha, seriously we wont!

Who does Lamar think he is - Bill Clinton?

Old 09-17-2016, 11:11 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,077,256 times
Quote:
Lamar Odom is a sick man. He's got a real problem in his head, maybe because of the traumas he's had in his life. By all accounts, he was nice to everyone, and they were nice to him as well. It also had nothing to do with Las Vegas itself. The media likes to use Las Vegas in headlines to get viewers, clicks, etc. That place was an hour drive from here.

None of that is relevant to the stadium. You think the most penalty plagued, almost universally disliked team in the NFL is going to burnish our tarnished image? Please.

We need a stadium. But some people just worship the NFL, and sports in general.

My favorite sport is the annual Guns and Hoses softball match between the local cops and firefighters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas